5 SE computer software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lellynelly

Lellynelly

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I have recently purchased a Nextar 5SE. It came with some computer software. I have downloaded this on to my computer but have yet to find any instructions on how to use it, or information on what it does. In fact I don't even know how to connect my laptop to my my scope. the lead that comes with it is nothing like anything on my laptop. Is it actually worth pursuing or does the software not do a lot anyway?

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hi LN,

I suspect what you have downloaded to your PC is the Nexremote software, which I see from the various ads. comes with the 5SE. (See attached link).

http://www.nexstarsi...l/NexRemote.htm

Equally, I'm guessing the cable, to which you refer, is the RS232 which connects the Nexremote software to your computer.

Its end fitting may be somewhat unfaniliar and is in fact outdated in as much as most PCs today, (as far as I'm aware), do not have a RS232 port.

To make this software functional therefore, you will most probably have to buy an adapter cable which sports an RSB232 connector at one end and a standard USB port connection at the other.

But all this aside: please don't concern yourself with any of this at the moment. Its only a "bolt on extra".

For the time being, try to learn your way around your 'scope using the manual the standard hand controller and, if you do get stuck, you know we're here to help you.

Best regards,
Tel

#3 Lellynelly

Lellynelly

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

yes that's correct. so I need a cable that is RSB232 at one end and USB on the other. at least i know what I'm looking for now thanks

#4 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Something like this should work

http://www.amazon.co...361655718&sr...

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hi Lelly:

The NexRemote software is just a software version of the handset and doesn't do anything you can't do from the handset.

The only real reason to hook a computer up to your scope is to be able to control it with software like Stellarium. Although, after playing around with that and other similar options, I came to the conclusion that the handset does everything I need, and it just seems like extra effort to haul a laptop out every time I want to use the scope.

I prefer to use software only in the planning stage. In other words, I use software to figure out what I'm going to look at during the night, but when I'm out under the stars, it's just the scope.

-Dan

#6 Lellynelly

Lellynelly

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

Thanks Dan. I have been unable to find out what the software actually does. seems a bit daft that it doesn't do anything the handset doesn't - why's it there then? is it just easier and clearer to use? I'm so glad I found this forum, it's things like that I find useful to know.

#7 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I thought it was odd too when I first got the scope. Couldn't understand why someone would go to all the trouble to create software that did exactly what the handset did!

I guess the thought is that you may want to control the scope remotely. You could have an astronomical video camera installed instead of an eyepiece, run a few wires into the house, and be viewing remotely. The Nexremote allows you to essentially use the handset from a distance.

-Dan

#8 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I know it's just me :gramps: but no matter the goods, I think it's all more of a case that, so long it fits into the modern trend generally; i.e. towards for example, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Ipods, Iplayers, Remote... etc. or the one I'm most familar with, "Idunno", then it's just got to sell !

I'm certainly in favour of progressive technology; after all, I've somewhat of a scientific background, but I'm also appreciative of sales promotionary tactics. :waytogo:

Personally, I'm still waiting on Celestron, for those real but less market attractables such as worm drive for the SE/SLT series, but then again, pigs might...... and Hell might..... ! :rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel

#9 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

Thanks Dan. I have been unable to find out what the software actually does. seems a bit daft that it doesn't do anything the handset doesn't - why's it there then?

In the near urban area where I live an inexpensive video cam (Samsung SCB-2000 or Lntech LN-300)works better than an EP for nebulae and galaxies. This gives me the option to setup the scope on the patio and then control it from indoors. Sometimes I put the images up on the plasma. Usually but not always I do the alignment with the HC and then use Stellarium to point the scope at targets.

Nexremote gives me the opton to do everything from the laptop, but I seldom do it that way. It is also handy if the HC fails.

If you only do visual, Stellarium (without Nexremote) lets you find targets using the software and move the scope to the targets. But it does not work to set up an observing list.

There is no reason to rush into using the software. Get to know the scope using the hand control first.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics