Couple of quick Wedge questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Just got a wedge, and of course its rainy/cloudy... so thought I'd ask some basic questions.

1. Wedge mounting, should i align the wedge so that the telescope weight comes down over a tripod leg or in-between? Seems like some users advocate one or the other option.

2. My CPC1100 does not have any index markers that I can see on the fork arm. I have read that I can use a bubble level to infer the index marks - is this correct?
-- If I use EQ 2 star align, then I don't need the index marks in any case, so is that just easier or any more/less accurate?

Thanks
Al

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

1. See pictures of my old CPC0800 setup in my signature ("Peter's Galleries"). Then click on "Old Equipment".

2. Place the base of the scope on a leveled table. Position the tube parallel to the table. Place carpenter bubble level on the tube and level the tube. This is where the index markers would have lined up. Mark it on the top of fork arm and OTA with a permanent marker. See page 17 of CPC scope operating manual.

Using index markers makes it easier to find the first alignment star.

Peter

#3 parkj

parkj

Lift Off

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I use EQ 2 star alignment. No need of index marker.
It' is useful when I do "set mount position" after adjust balance. But this can be done with any mark you can draw to mark tube position...

JC

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

If I could make a tool suggestion, ditch the Allen wrench you use to attach the wedge to the tripod and get a shorty ratchet with an Allen socket driver. Much easier.

#5 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

If I could make a tool suggestion, ditch the Allen wrench you use to attach the wedge to the tripod and get a shorty ratchet with an Allen socket driver. Much easier.

Or get a set of these! They're on my list!
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ngtb.htm

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I am not sure if the ScopeStuff tool will work with a wedge. My Mitty Wedge had threadless holes and the bolts are inserted from top and thru the wedge and threaded into the tripod top. If I remember correctly, the tripod top had six holes, three are threaded and other three are not threaded. To mount a wedge on Celestron tripod, it uses threaded holes of tripod. I think that's how all wedges work for Celestron tripods.

The tool from ScopeStuff looks like they are only for bolting to the threaded holes underneath the scopes's base through unthreaded holes of tripod.

If you download installation instructions for Celestron HD Pro wedge from Celestron web site, you will see that I am correct. Even if you use ScopeStuff tools and insert them from the top, the threaded part may be too short to reach top of tripod and the bolts may be too long and in the way from above the wedge.

Peter

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics