Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#76 Lou3

Lou3

Vostok 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

When they are really well made, they tend to get out of the way more easily.

Well said. I've seen that with other things, and I'm starting to see it with binoculars. It probably depends on how picky we are about precision. For better or worse, I notice a lot of stuff: spiky stars, soft outer edges, narrow FOV, weight, feel in the hand, stiff or imprecise operation. That's why I expect alpha binos would be my ideal, but hopefully something like a Zen-Ray or Vortex will strike the right balance.

#77 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

That's why I expect alpha binos would be my ideal, but hopefully something like a Zen-Ray or Vortex will strike the right balance.

Lou,

Take a quick look at this brief comment, from someone who tested the Vortex>

http://www.cloudynig...ber/3559992/...

Stan

#78 George9

George9

Messenger

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

I am not so sure you would be "blown away" by the $2000 view. The differences between a good quality optic and an excellent optic are in the execution and the fine points. The limitations are still the same, they don't go away. Sharpness is limited by the large exit pupil, the low magnification, small aperture, the fast focal ratios and the fact that you will most likely be hand holding the binoculars...

Jon

Maybe not blown away, but a couple are actually sharp to the edge like a Televue eyepiece, and it's most noticeable on the the night sky. I think there actually is a jump for the Swarovision, and in fact I wonder why most of the others (Bushnell Elite, Ultravid, Victory) have not caught up yet. Not that it is worth the money, but I think there can be a real jump in edge sharpness, putting shaky hand holding aside.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics