CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light Pollution Plugin for Google Earth

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 krp

krp

Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Awhile ago I downloaded a plugin for Google Earth that shows the light pollution for North America. But it uses the old light pollution data (from 1997). Does anyone know where I can find the newer (2001) light pollution plugin for Google Earth? I know I can download PNG's here: Light Pollution Maps but I can't use them in Google Earth unless I have the exact coordinates to match the edges. There is a big difference between the two maps especially in the midwest.
Kevin

#2 Dark Sky Scott

Dark Sky Scott

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

krp, I haven't found one for sky glow, but here's one for city lights imaged from space with data from last year:

http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=79803

#3 Rich V.

Rich V.

Aurora

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

This appears to be the newer data:

https://productforum...ogle-earth-o...

Rich

#4 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

This appears to be the newer data:

https://productforum...ogle-earth-o...

Rich

Awesome! This is much more useful than just the .jpg or having to go to the published Google map site. :thanx:

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Interesting, I'm living right on the edge of a red zone facing orange! Have to take a ride west to a nearby green zone one night.

#6 vsteblina

vsteblina

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Interesting....it appears that the date of the imagery was winter. The ski areas on the Cascade crest show up.

Wow, I remember a wildlife biologist complaining about the light pollution and impact on wildlife when I was working.

It does look that bad on the ground!!!

Otherwise, some areas that I am familar with appear to UNDERESTIMATE the extent of light pollution.

Thanks for the posting.

#7 krp

krp

Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Are there any plans to create an even more updated light pollution map? 2001 was a long time ago. I know some areas, such as North Dakota have changed a lot.

#8 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canton, OH

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

For the new light pollution maps w/2001 data, I've taken a bit more interest in the expanded color map, which breaks each of the color zones in half:

https://sites.google...n/more/images-1

Since each zone is a factor of 3 in sky brightness, breaking each zone in half amounts to ~1.7x factor in sky brightness. This is a *great* tool for site scouting when you're looking to squeeze out every last bit of darkness for your 1/2-hr / 1-hr / 2-hr drive to an observing site.

This map has been around for a few years, but the one thing I can't find is a Google Maps overlay of the expanded color scheme. Anyone know of such a beast?

Clear Skies,
Phil

#9 Daniel8802

Daniel8802

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sewell, NJ, USA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Does the milkyway cast a shadow at cherry springs?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics