Eyepiece Turret/Revolver for a Dob

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Moonlight Sonata

Moonlight Sonata

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

but some nights just aren't Zen-like; they're more like a WWF match.....I'm actually interested in this. Wonder if it would work with orthos on the 102XLT refractor? This would be great for planetary viewing with orthos..

I don't know about your particular refractor, but I think it would work well inserted into the diagonal with your orthos. There are also other turrets, though more expensive, that incorporate a mirror or prism which replaces your diagonal.

For the rather brief period of time I've had in this hobby so far I'd say I find the act of switching eyepieces more distracting than anything else, especially if it's cold outside. For me, I like being at the eyepiece more than taking it out and fumbling in the dark to grab another one. If the object I'm searching for isn't something I find all that enticing to look at, then it seems like wasted time to switch between EPs to find the best magnification for that object. The thought of putting in a 24mm, 14mm, 8.8mm, and 6.7mm into a turret and effortlessly switching between them seems like it would be a convenient way to increase my time at the eyepiece.

#27 Doug Reilly

Doug Reilly

Viking 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

When I built my dobstuff 10", the f4.5 version, I built it with a .965 vixen eyepiece turret in mind, and four tak orthos. It actually worked very well. With small, modest eyepieces the weight was not much more than a larger more modern eyepiece, so the only design consideration was the back focus. Worked quite well, and personally I think it is liberating to not have to swap eyepieces. More time looking through the scope, and easy to compare between different magnifications. When i rebuilt the scope to be an f7 (new mirror) i did not integrate the turret. .965 is a little small and limiting in the FOV department. I remain impressed with the turret concept however and have used them for various refractors over the years too. The vixen made multiple ocular holders, made for celestron and meade scts in the 80s i think were also very good, and the sct threads come off and a 1.25" eyepiece barrel put in its place, if you can find a donor vixen diagonal from the same period.

#28 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

On the economy side, a 3-holer is sold under the Galileo label and probably other names.

I have one on a small dob and several more intended for use on other scopes. It works well although certainly alters the scope's appearance.

Since my eyes require the focuser usually be cranked out further than most the added length of the turrret usually causes no issues.

But it is a 1.25" device so the best range is : a 25 to 40mm plossl, a 7-21 or 8-24 zoom,, and a 2 to 6 planetary ep.Of course any three oculars of your choice can be used for your viewing interests.

Since the weight doesn't change no re-balancing needed,and oculars are less likely to e dropped whilst swapping.

For true Rube Goldberg fans I need to set up and photograph the full panoply of filter selector,inline balow,flip mirror,and ocular turret!

One could have two zooms,one inserted into a 3x shorty barlow ,and thereby have a 9:1 range of magnification,ans then still have one more ocular for wide field.

#29 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

You need only use ONE long dew buster and wrap a loop around each ocular in turn.The portion of the heater strip not in contact will simply give its heat to the ir but so what?

#30 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Can't you just cap the eyepieces not in use?

Eric

#31 André Heijkoop

André Heijkoop

Sputnik

• Loc: Strijen, Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

I finally had the chance to use the turret in my 24" f3.7 Dobson with a Moonlite 2" focuser.
As already mentioned you need quite a bit of extra inward travel.
The turret in combination with a Paracorr couldn't come to focus, so I had to use the 2 x 2" Powermate instead. The Powermate with the turret worked wonderful.
The eyepieces I used in the turret where a 25 UO, 18 UO HD, 12 UO HD and a 9 UO HD.
Although the seeing wasn't to good, the views on Jupiter where great.
Another plus is that I can switch between my lightweight orthos without any balancing problems.

The turret is definitely a keeper.
Greetings,
André

#32 Moonlight Sonata

Moonlight Sonata

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the update! I take it you would still recommend against using big 1.25" eyepieces with the turret?

#33 André Heijkoop

André Heijkoop

Sputnik

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I take it you would still recommend against using big 1.25" eyepieces with the turret?

Yes, the main factor is the plastic material the turret is made of.
Lightweight eyepieces (orthos, plossels) give no problem.
And another factor; the turret with 4 small orthos weigh about the same as one big 2" eyepiece. I always had trouble with balancing the Dobson when I switched from a 2" widefield eyepiece to a 1.25" ortho. Balancing problems are gone with the turret!

#34 Moonlight Sonata

Moonlight Sonata

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I take it you would still recommend against using big 1.25" eyepieces with the turret?

Yes, the main factor is the plastic material the turret is made of.
Lightweight eyepieces (orthos, plossels) give no problem.
And another factor; the turret with 4 small orthos weigh about the same as one big 2" eyepiece. I always had trouble with balancing the Dobson when I switched from a 2" widefield eyepiece to a 1.25" ortho. Balancing problems are gone with the turret!

What is it about the plastic material that gives it a problem with bigger eyepieces?

It sounds like you're pretty happy with the turret. I'm glad! I'm still kind of hopeful that it might work out with my fairly bulky EPs even though you're cautioning against it.

#35 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

The weight of the turrent + big eyepieces would just be too much for most any scope. Not 100% certain, but you could possibly damage the focuser with too much weight on it, especially if you have to crank it way out....

#36 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

And also as Don has pointed out, it's physically impossible to put more than two XWs in the Q Turret - so you are actually physically limited to smaller eyepieces.

#37 André Heijkoop

André Heijkoop

Sputnik

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

What is it about the plastic material that gives it a problem with bigger eyepieces?

The Q-turret is very lightweight and as so feels that way. Although I have never seen a Van Slyke turret I now for sure it is made of a better and sturdier material.
As always, you get what you pay for.

It sounds like you're pretty happy with the turret. I'm glad!

Yes, you have the pros of a zoom eyepiece without the cons.

I'm still kind of hopeful that it might work out with my fairly bulky EPs even though you're cautioning against it.

You could try, the turret sells for $85, if it doesn't do the job, you still have a nice holder for 4 eyepieces ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics