Photo

Ventillating the baffle tube on an 1100 Edge HD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RossSackett

RossSackett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Memphis, TN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Even with the aftermarket fans running a couple of hours a defocused star still shows a spoke of warm air convecting (I assume) off the baffle tube of my 1100 Edge. Would it help to ventillate the back of the baffle tube as well? The two-element subaperture corrector lens is about co-planar with the front of the primary, giving me about 4 inches of baffle tube I can reach with a fan to (hopefully) cool the thick tube and the lenses.

Also, would it help to point the scope nose-down to flow the cool air from from the rear ports down the tube rather that just up the back of the primary?

Ross

#2 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Point it corrector up towards the sky. The warm air moves up to the thin corrector plate and is dissipated into the air. Pointing it down just pools the warm air at the thickest parts of the OTA and increases cool down time.

Sorry I can't help regarding ventilating the baffle, but I suspect it is not necessary if you just leave the OTA pointed corrector up for a bit to dissipate the heat. I'd at least try that first before modifying the baffle tube.

#3 bcuddihee

bcuddihee

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Chances are that this plume is actually coming off the secondary and not the baffle tube. Adding vents up by the corrector plate along with actve cooling fans will help tremendously.
Bc

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Ross,

I don't think that you would gain much from a fan in the back end of the baffle tube. You might gain by adding a fan into the Fastar hole though. But if your temperature is continuing to quickly drop during your session it may still be difficult to keep up. How fast and large are your ambient temperature fluctuations?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics