• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'm not sure if this is the best forum, but:

I'm loading the new observatory computer system with software, and my old gratis copy of Nexremote won't load on this new Win 7 machine. I get an error that it won't install on WinNT? Is a free update available?

Will this not work on a win7 machine?

Do I have other options to control my CGE classic mount from the warm room?

I'm just beginning imaging, and will be using a DSLR with BackyardEOS as will as PHD.

Not looking to spend a ton extra right now, but what are my options?

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

If Nexremote is simply a program to monitor your laptop from a remote location, try tightvnc or teamviewer..

Alex

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Download the latest version of NexRemote from the Celestron website (support/downloads/software) it works fine with Win7.

Any of popular planetarium programs can also control the mount from a PC (Stellarium, The Sky, Cartes du Ciel, etc.), some of these will also require the popular ASCOM platform and driver to provide the direct connection to the mount.

You have two options for connectivity ... via the serial port at the base of the hand controller or via the PC port on the mount. If you use the PC port on the mount you can unplug the hand controller. You'll need a serial cable (one of two different types from Celestron or home made) and likely a USB-serial adapter if your new PC doesn't have a real serial port.

You can also autoguide through the hand controller connection (simplest option but you'll need to manage the the various software apps that have access to the serial port). If you want go the PC port route (better for keeping various software products from competing) you'll need to use the autoguide port on the mount and that will require another piece of hardware between your PC and this port (a Shoestring GPUSB).

For more connectivity information have a look at www.nexstarsite.com

#4 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

OK, didn't see the updated program @ Celestron when I had checked earlier. I have now found and installed it.

However, I'm still wondering about some of the full packages out there.

Starry nights / MaxImDL/ Sky X

I assume these are mainly for imaging with a CCD?

I'll be using a DSLR along with BackyardEOS, PHD, Nexremote, and Stellarium, and assume I don't really need those other packages for now?

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Wmacky,

MaximDL is really just a CCD control package. It does have objects.. but most people use another program (such as The Sky) for planetarium/mount control. BackyardEOS/PHD is good; I have Maxim and I still use PHD. Why? Because it works. MaximDL is super complicated (I've tried, really) when it comes to guiding and for some reason PHD 'just works'.

One thing about Nexremote... I found it wasn't really necessary. I aligned my CGEM using my TELRAD (it's close, try it sometime) doing a 2+4. Since you're in an observatory, you can sleep/wake the mount whenever and it will remember it. Then, just use your planetarium software to control where you're going. Easy as pie.

If you're GTG with BackyardEOS as your camera control program, I wouldn't expand it anymore. Stellarium gets you mount control and a planetarium. PHD gives you guiding.

The only thing I'd really add to this is astrotorilla. it's a free platesolving program that will allow you to 'sync' your location based on where it figures out you're actually pointing. It's very similar to using 'precise GOTO' except you're not relying on you centering up the scope but using stellar catalogues. It really improves your ability to find objects; especially when what you want to center up is a DSO and doesn't have a bright object near it's center.

Link to Astrotortilla below:
http://goo.gl/kSOky

Good luck!

#6 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks a bunch. I here a lot about the packages, but never really see dicussion as to what exactly they consist of.

The good news is that it's seems I set with all I need until the day I move to CCD.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics