• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sometimes (amateur) astronomy -or should I say optics- can become a leeeeettllle bit overwhelming.

Kudos to Don who :like:-as it turns out- is either single, or has a very accommodating (another optometrical term) wife...

Just kidding.

Well done and great work Don,
Like I mentioned in my article.. you are truly the telescope guru!!!

No, I have a great wife, who, while professing little interest in astronomy, can find all the Messier objects in Sagittarius without star charts. She, like many women, has somewhat of a shoe-collecting hobby. Periodically she feels guilty about spending so much money on shoes and says to Me, "Don't you need an eyepiece or something?" :grin:
It's how I collected a suitcase full of Ethos eyepieces over the last 5 years.

As for the 2013 Eyepiece Buyer's Guide, I hereby attach the latest version with all recent updates.

Attached Files

#77 MPD

MPD

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

This got lost in the brief 2.0 version, but I had some emails with Don, and once he finished up the 2014 updates/additions, I am going to take the data and make it into a searchable database. I have a preliminary version working, but it isn't ready for primetime.

#78 rodnocjolly

rodnocjolly

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanks, very kind of you to share.

#79 Moses

Moses

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

this may sound like a terrible newbie question, but why can't I use my 1.25 Barlow with a 10 mm to get a closer look at Jupiter or Mars? They simply don't appear and I'm sure I've got them in my finder.

Thanks. From a newbie. By the way, I use an Orion 90mm refractor and a 6 inch Newtonian Star Blast, also from Orion.

What I really want from Santa is a 12 inch Dobsonian.

#80 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

this may sound like a terrible newbie question, but why can't I use my 1.25 Barlow with a 10 mm to get a closer look at Jupiter or Mars? They simply don't appear and I'm sure I've got them in my finder.

Thanks. From a newbie. By the way, I use an Orion 90mm refractor and a 6 inch Newtonian Star Blast, also from Orion.

What I really want from Santa is a 12 inch Dobsonian.

Your finder is not lined up with the main scope. This won't matter much at low power, when the field in the eyepiece is large, but it will matter at high power, when the field of view in the eyepiece is small.
So, use your 10mm eyepiece on Polaris and line up your finder exactly on Polaris.
Add your barlow and repeat, lining up Polaris perfectly with your finder (center Polaris in the eyepiece first, then adjust your finder).
Then, you'll find your target will still be in the field when you add the barlow on any other target. just remember to be quick, because the turning of the Earth will take the object out of the field in only a short time.

#81 MPD

MPD

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Did this get unpinned on purpose?

#82 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Did this get unpinned on purpose?

Bookmark a link to the thread. That way you can refer others to it.
I am almost ready with a 2014 version.
I hope it was not unpinned simply because I am a vendor. After all, there is nothing in the spreadsheet which could be construed as commercial promotion other than, perhaps, for the entire industry.

#83 MPD

MPD

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

Yup, I have a bookmark now.

I'm ready to import the new data to a searchable database when you have the new version ready.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics