• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Starhuckster

Starhuckster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Before I bought my 80mm WO refractor, I had seriously considered the 102mm f/11 scope sold under Astro Telescopes or Canadian Telescopes, in fact I recall liking the CT version a little more for some reason that escapes me at the moment. At any rate, it looks like Stellarvue is now selling the same scope for $200 more, but I can't figure out what the extra charge is for. Am I missing something obvious or is it just additional charge for the badge?

#2 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think the big difference between stellavue and the sameish scope is that stellavue tests their scopes and only accepts quality ones (well, at least that is what they say). It's also possible the focuser is different between the two. But in general, it's quality control.

#3 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

The Stellarvue has their 2.5" rack & pinion focuser and a removable extension that allows it to be used with a binoviewer according to Vic on the SV Yahoo group. Don't know about the Astro Telescopes version.
...Keith

#4 Starhuckster

Starhuckster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I do see the focuser difference and I can appreciate high QC, but with the CT version $300 less (remembering why that one stood out), it seems like quite a price bump. Maybe it's just that this isn't a terribly expensive scope and the premium stands out.

Btw, I have no problem with SV at all, I hope to own one someday.

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Focusers can be a big jump in price if they are different. But not sure if that's the case here.

I think having that knowledge that a poor optic scope will not be sent to you is worth something. How much depends on the situation. Some of the Stellarvue owners may be able to weigh in here...but I've heard stories of the owner of stellarvue rejecting optics and sending them back to the manufacturer. That would make me wonder if the cheaper versions of the scope (sold by someone else) would be that rejected one. Something to think about.

Customer service could be another consideration. However, I have not dealt with Stellarvue so I can't really comment on all that. But I believe they have a very good reputation from folks on this site.

#6 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Focusers can be a big jump in price if they are different. But not sure if that's the case here.

I think having that knowledge that a poor optic scope will not be sent to you is worth something. How much depends on the situation. Some of the Stellarvue owners may be able to weigh in here...but I've heard stories of the owner of stellarvue rejecting optics and sending them back to the manufacturer. That would make me wonder if the cheaper versions of the scope (sold by someone else) would be that rejected one. Something to think about.

Customer service could be another consideration. However, I have not dealt with Stellarvue so I can't really comment on all that. But I believe they have a very good reputation from folks on this site

I've owned (and own) Stellarvue scopes for years and have never had any QC issues and their customer service has always been excellent. Scopes have ranged from the SV70 to the SV115T. Have only sold these guys to try other scopes, never because of a quality issue.

The SV-25 R&P focuser is very nice as I currently have it on my SV80ED. Definitly an improvement over many of the R%P units on the market and many of the stock Crayfords I've tried as well IMO.

Never tried SV's new 102 achro offering but I'd have to guess based on their past offerings that's it's a very nice scope and certainly worth checking out.

Phil

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Stellarvue and Astro Telescopes are owned by the same individual. The statement about the focusers are true. The Stellarvue seems pricey for a 4in Achro. The Astro Telescopes version has gotten great reviews, not sure if I would worry about having Vic "star test" it.

#8 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

According to a January 24 post by CN member Lane, the AT now uses an SV focuser. According to the thread, there were some problems with the previous focuser.

http://www.cloudynig...3333096/page...

Best,
David

#9 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

The Astro-Telescopes version has a longer dew shield, is a difference not yet mentioned, in this thread.

#10 dlapoint

dlapoint

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Moncton NB Canada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

If I didn't have the ed100 I might be interested in one of these. I'd go with the ct version.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics