First CCD camera choice

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

well the best camera is the one you use.

i can say this: my QHY8 has given me a lot of hassles (it's an old model, so it doesn't have the heated window, the CCD chamber is not sealed, etc. etc.)

the later QHY's definitely fixed the issues with the 8, but it soured me on the experience. are there folks out there producing great images with the QHY8? definitely!

but really if you had the choice between something that dews up and has an unsealed CCD chamber, vs one that does not dew up and has a purged and vacuum-sealed chamber, which would you choose? (if you can afford both)

of course I have an 8 because it's what i could afford, so...

#52 MattThomas

MattThomas

Vendor (SBIG)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

warranty on the vacuum-sealed CCD chamber

Just to be clear, none of the vendors you mentioned (including SBIG) have vacuum sealed chambers.

All the camera companies that you have mentioned have dry chambers with a seal to keep moisture from leaking in - but it is not a vacuum chamber. Vacuum chambers are much more complex and costly.

#53 AddictedToAstro

AddictedToAstro

Sputnik

• Loc: Cincinnati OH

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

for me though, dealing with the incessant dirt on the sensor and frosting issues on my QHY8 has soured me on the brand. but that's just me.

The QHY9M has a heater on the sensor to help avoid dew, right? Wouldn't something like that work against the cooler to keep noise down?

#54 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

the qhy9m has a heated cover glass, AFAIK. not a sensor heater..

#55 AddictedToAstro

AddictedToAstro

Sputnik

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

the qhy9m has a heated cover glass, AFAIK. not a sensor heater..

Ah, that makes more sense.

I keep looking at the disadvantages of each camera and using them as an excuse to remove it from the list. But then I see the AMAZING images produced by every single one of them.

I have to just narrow it down to which one will be the best at what I want to do, which is narrowband nebula imaging. From what I've read, high QE is the most desirable for nebula and narrowband, correct? The chips with the best QE seems to be the 674/694 Sonys.

But then I look at images from sites like http://www.pbase.com...ebulae&page=all and http://flickrhivemin...y9m/Interesting, with many or all of the images on both coming from the Kodak 8300. I know expertise behind those photos plays a HUGE role in the successful images, but knowing the cameras are capable of it helps.

I think I will just figure out what field of view I want and go with it.

#56 AddictedToAstro

AddictedToAstro

Sputnik

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Oh my gosh, I just looked up narrowband filter prices. I can't believe I hadn't checked out those costs before. For Astronomik, the 1.25" is $200 and 2" is $450 for the 6nm narrowband. Wow on the 2" price. The 12nm filters are quite a but less... would you all recommend against them? Since the 6nm lets in a smaller wavelength of light, would the exposures be much longer?

Out of curiosity, I checked out the Astrodon pricing and it's about double the Astronomik. I had no idea how expensive these filters are. That can play a definite role in my decision now.

If I get one of the sony cameras, I know I can use 1.25 as stated above. But would they mount at the front of the nosepiece, or just in front of the sensor window?

#57 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Yup, unfortunately the narrow-band filter prices are extortionate.
You can use the 1.25" with Sony mono sensors using a filter wheel no problem.

#58 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Oh my gosh, I just looked up narrowband filter prices. I can't believe I hadn't checked out those costs before. For Astronomik, the 1.25" is $200 and 2" is $450 for the 6nm narrowband. Wow on the 2" price. The 12nm filters are quite a but less... would you all recommend against them? Since the 6nm lets in a smaller wavelength of light, would the exposures be much longer?

Out of curiosity, I checked out the Astrodon pricing and it's about double the Astronomik. I had no idea how expensive these filters are. That can play a definite role in my decision now.

If I get one of the sony cameras, I know I can use 1.25 as stated above. But would they mount at the front of the nosepiece, or just in front of the sensor window?

You want to go Narrow on your NB, I use Orion's 1.25" 7nm HA and SII and Astrodon's 5nm OIII. Others use 5 or even 3nm for their NB filters. 12nm is too wide and you will allow some LP into your image.

I have been happy with the Orion HA and SII, the OIII gave me funky stars for some reason so I went with the Astrodon on that one, and I did a full set of Astrodon RGB as they eliminated blooming on my stars.

#59 AddictedToAstro

AddictedToAstro

Sputnik

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Warren. Good to know. Orion filters are quite a bit less money. Do you find that you have to refocus between the Astrodon filters and Orion filters?

#60 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thanks Warren. Good to know. Orion filters are quite a bit less money. Do you find that you have to refocus between the Astrodon filters and Orion filters?

I refocus always between filters, even my Astrodons

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics