• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bob irvin

bob irvin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm interested in trying to find this star. I know it's Mag 14 but was wondering how much luck others have had observing it. Can I use my 10" Dob. in a reasonably dark site? Any tips? I know it's not quite up yet, I'm planning for Spring.

thanks, bob

#2 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

It is where the Federation fleet got smoked by the Borg.
Maybe there is some afterglow from warp core explosions.

#3 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

This lists the magnitude as 13.54 :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_359
From a dark site you should not have a problem with your 10" if seeing is pretty good and your optics are cooled.
Print a good finder chart.

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Bob, be sure to let us know if you suceed in viewing it!

#5 Matt2893

Matt2893

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: ChicagoLand

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

That battle won't happen for 354 years, and Bob will have to wait 7.8 years on top of that for the light of those warp core explosions to reach him...... :grin:

#6 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

. . . Print a good finder chart.

There is one in the, ahem, Star Trek Observing List.

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think the key is going to be locating the field. Also proper motion may come into play since the star is so close. The San Antonio Astronomy Club lists it as a challenge for 16in scopes. Not sure what they define as a challenge, but I say give it ago and let us know.
http://sanantoniosky...y-challenges-2/

#8 bob irvin

bob irvin

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the star chart locations & suggestions. I will post it if I'm successful. :D

bob

#9 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I think the key is going to be locating the field. Also proper motion may come into play since the star is so close. The San Antonio Astronomy Club lists it as a challenge for 16in scopes. Not sure what they define as a challenge, but I say give it ago and let us know.

At magnitude 13.5, Wolf 359 wouldn't exactly be a huge challenge even in a six inch scope unless the skies were pretty heavily light polluted. Its proper motion (nearly 4.7 arc seconds per year) will make it a little more challenging to find, so a good finder chart will be needed. It is interesting to monitor, as the star is a UV Ceti type "flare" variable star (CN Leonis) that can increase its brightness fairly quickly. Clear skies to you.

#10 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I remember that place.
Posted Image

#11 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ah yes, the Prius Borg....

#12 Matt2893

Matt2893

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: ChicagoLand

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Talk about being a hybrid...... :borg:

Edit:
BTW, thanks Doc Willie for posting that link (again). It will be fun to give it a try.

Live long and prosper!
Qapla'

#13 bob irvin

bob irvin

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Talk about being a hybrid...... :borg:

Edit:
BTW, thanks Doc Willie for posting that link (again). It will be fun to give it a try.

Live long and prosper!
Qapla'

Yea, my genuine observing question really went down a path I didn't expect ... & me being a Sci-Fan too. I like the "old" star trek better & I won't mention the Outer Limits Episode of the same name..... (I hope this doesn't start another entire thread on comparing them.) :bawling:

ditto thanks to Doc. for the link.

bob

#14 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

At magnitude 13.5, Wolf 359 wouldn't exactly be a huge challenge even in a six inch scope unless the skies were pretty heavily light polluted. Its proper motion (nearly 4.7 arc seconds per year) will make it a little more challenging to find, so a good finder chart will be needed. It is interesting to monitor, as the star is a UV Ceti type "flare" variable star (CN Leonis) that can increase its brightness fairly quickly. Clear skies to you.

Is there any records of it flaring? Would be interesting to know if the AAVSO monitors it much.

#15 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Is there any records of it flaring? Would be interesting to know if the AAVSO monitors it much.

From the data I can see on the site, it looks like at least some do monitor the star. The AAVSO database indicates a maximum magnitude of around 11.52 or so (its mean non-flare magnitude is around 13.5), and on their light curve generator, they listed one flare noted on or just before JD 2455120. Clear skies to you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics