To rebalance or not to rebalance...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stargaz18

Stargaz18

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wichita Falls, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I've never seen this question so thought I'd ask. Do you need to rebalance your scope when switching EP's? Some 2" EP's are close to 2 lbs in weight difference. And if you also add in a 2" barlow, even more. I never have rebalanced and I'm wondering if I need to. Thanks, Patrick

#2 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Yes! If I don't, my scope's servo drives groan in protest.
-----
Dave

#3 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I think it's usually a good idea to do so. But it can depend on your scope setup. For instance, my 10 inch dob has a tension knob where I can just tighten the knob more and it will handle a heavier eyepiece. But, I could get some counterweights rather than tighten that up so much. I'd say if it's a really heavy payload I would do that (a 30mm Meade UWA for instance).

On my refractors I would rebalance if it were a significant change. You may have to anyways when you see your OTA start to move on it's own.

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

By drilling two new holes where the bearings attached I lowered my dob and moved the center of gravity. I attach a weight to the bottom and have a sliding weight on one of my strut poles and the scope stays balance throughout the night now.

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

No I don't bother. I also have a CG-5. I balance at the start with my most commonly used eyepiece, which also happens to be middle of the road in terms of weight. As Uncle Rod says, the mount can sound like weasels with tuberculosis, but it moves around just fine.

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

If your scope is working OK, then you don't need to rebalance. If it's not working OK, then you do. Not surprisingly, the bigger the scope, the less it matters what eyepiece is in it. A 4.5-inch Dob is more likely to need rebalancing than a 16-inch Dob -- likewise a 5-inch SCT versus a 16-inch SCT.

Is your scope exhibiting symptoms that make you think rebalancing might be advisable?

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Someone (I think Televue) makes a weighted 1.25" to 2" adapter for this reason. In the past I have attached an appropriate weight to my diagonal using velcro. Normally I don't bother.

Al

#8 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I drilled new holes to move the trunnions (pivots) on my tube Dob about an inch to balance the load with my binoviewer - talk about heavy! With single eyepieces it's a bit tail heavy, the opposite with the binoviewer. However, the normal spring tension between the base and trunnions is enough to hold the assembly in place.

In your case I suggest trying and playing with the eyepieces first before modding the scope. They may not have any significant impact on the balance.

Ed D

#9 Stargaz18

Stargaz18

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wichita Falls, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

No I haven't been having any problems Tony. I was just wondering if I needed to rebalance to avoid any future problems with the goto drive gears. Thanks for all your answers guys!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics