79 replies to this topic

#51 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi Steve,

I did some testing on the focuser and it can handle weight much better than any of the other WO focusers that I have experience with. I devised a way to test it using weights and it has no problem lifting 5 lbs and 10 lbs, and when it gets to 15 lbs it does OK, but I had to tighten up the friction or it would unwind. 15 lbs is seriously a LOT of weight and I can't imagine having anything that heavy.

Do you know how heavy your camera and filter is?

Take care,

Timm

#52 Gasmansteve

Gasmansteve

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Yorkshire UK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

[quote
Do you know how heavy your camera and filter is?
[/quote]

Hi Timm
Haven`t weighed them but I`m pretty sure they are a lot less than 15lbs!. Getting very interested now as my dealer has offered to get a 102 in to bench test which I thought was an excellent thing to do. Must admit I always try things before buying them but not really possible with new scopes so the dealer going the extra mile is a pretty cool thing to do I think!. I`m looking at the WO ZS 71 to accompany it for guiding (same colour!).
Regards
Steve

#53 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Sounds great

There have been good reports on the 71 also.

I got my iOptron iEQ45 yesterday and it's a great match for this scope

Timm

#54 Costa

Costa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Has anyone taken any kind of photo through the GTF 102 yet ? Astrobin and Flickr are coming up short.

#55 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yes - nothing great though

Attached Files

#56 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

30 sec shot - not great but I'm just learning

Attached Files

#57 Kendahl

Kendahl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

Timm:

I'm about to order a GTF102 and an iEQ45 mount. iOptron sells the two of them as a package for a bit less than they would cost separately. One thing they don't indicate (their tech support is supposed to tell me) is whether the model in the package has the DDG focuser.

I noticed in the photos that your scope does have the DDG focuser. How useful have you found it to be? If it's worth having, I will make sure to get it even if I have to pay more by ordering it from another vendor. If not, I will just take whatever iOptron provides.

#58 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

Timm:

I'm about to order a GTF102 and an iEQ45 mount. iOptron sells the two of them as a package for a bit less than they would cost separately. One thing they don't indicate (their tech support is supposed to tell me) is whether the model in the package has the DDG focuser.

I noticed in the photos that your scope does have the DDG focuser. How useful have you found it to be? If it's worth having, I will make sure to get it even if I have to pay more by ordering it from another vendor. If not, I will just take whatever iOptron provides.

Hi

To be honest, while I think it's cool, I don't use the digital readout. I have a Canon 60D and I use live view with 10x zoom to focus.

If I had to use my older Canon 20D without live view I think I would rely on it a lot.

It works well as long as you remember to check the zero position and everything is precisely the same in your setup.

Hope that helps.

Timm

#59 pubquiz

pubquiz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Beautiful scope Tim.

How does the flatness of field compare with scopes with a flattner as an add on?

Would imagine pretty good or better as it's matched exactly to the scope.

I have had a little Megrez72 for a few years and love it.....although it is a similar focuser to my others(just standard 2 speed crayford not R&P) it is so much better and smoother than my generic GSO/Smart Astronomy add on type focusers on other scopes, and it's even better to know now that WO are using R&P :cool:

The looks of of WO scopes with their red/blue/gold/ bits is absolutely stunning ...second only to the A&M scopes (At double the price) for sexyness in my opinion.If it's cloudy you could do worse than to just sit and stare at the scope :)

Tom

#60 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Tom - I honestly don't have anything to compare to but I have looked at my images at 100% and even higher and with my Canon 60D APS size sensor the stars are round out to the edge so I guess that is as good as it can get, right?

The new R&P focuser is really nice too.

Timm

#61 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm almost done with a full review - still have a few paragraphs to write. Watch for it soon! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Timm

#62 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Here is a shot of M51 taken a while back. Pretty much the full frame. Just clipped off a tad bit at the edges. Two subs of ten minutes each for this one.

Both my imaging scopes have built in FF so can't comment on using a separate FF.

Attached Files

#63 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

And here is Makarians Chain (which is on Astro bin. Odd nothing came up for the WO GTF 102). This was about 20 minutes of data.

Posted Image

#64 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Your shots are fantastic - I am still very much learning my iEQ45 so it will be a while before I get shots this good.

Timm

#65 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Thanks Timm. For 30 seconds that's a nice shot. Are you guiding?

#66 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not guiding yet but working on getting what I need to try it soon

#67 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm almost done with a full review - still have a few paragraphs to write. Watch for it soon! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Timm

Timm, I very much look forward to the review. I've had my GTF102 for almost 4 months now but haven't had a chance to do anything with it as of yet. I haven't actually done any DSO work since the Supernova in M95 (15 months ago).

#68 Kendahl

Kendahl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I just ordered an iEQ45 mount and plan to order a GTF102. Three questions about the GTF102:

So far, Agena is the only dealer I have found that claims to have the GTF102 with DDG focuser in stock. Are there any other sources?

What are you using to attach your Canon camera to the GTF102? (I have a 350D.) Agena has a Baader 2 inch T adapter with provision for a filter. One of the listed filters is clear for protection of the camera sensor only. Good idea or not?

Is the William 2 inch quartz dielectric diagonal the best one to buy?

I haven't decided about eyepieces yet. (For the time being, I can get by with the 1-1/4 inch eyepieces from my old scope.) In addition to the William eyepieces, I am considering ones from Explore Scientific. The latter are supposed to approach Televue quality for less than half the price. Besides the GTF102, they would be used with an Orion 10 inch f/4.7 Newtonian and, sometime in the future, a 9.25 inch Celestron EdgeHD.

#69 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hi

Hope these answers help...

Not sure about which dealers stock it, I got mine direct from WO

I have a WO 2" photo adapter and Meade Canon T-Ring but I think any will work.

A 2" diagonal might not allow all 1.25" eyepieces to rack in far enough to reach focus. I have a WO 1.25" dielectric diagonal that works fine. Any will work, but be forewarned that the 2" diagonal might not work with everything.

Hope that helps,

Timm

I just ordered an iEQ45 mount and plan to order a GTF102. Three questions about the GTF102:

So far, Agena is the only dealer I have found that claims to have the GTF102 with DDG focuser in stock. Are there any other sources?

What are you using to attach your Canon camera to the GTF102? (I have a 350D.) Agena has a Baader 2 inch T adapter with provision for a filter. One of the listed filters is clear for protection of the camera sensor only. Good idea or not?

Is the William 2 inch quartz dielectric diagonal the best one to buy?

I haven't decided about eyepieces yet. (For the time being, I can get by with the 1-1/4 inch eyepieces from my old scope.) In addition to the William eyepieces, I am considering ones from Explore Scientific. The latter are supposed to approach Televue quality for less than half the price. Besides the GTF102, they would be used with an Orion 10 inch f/4.7 Newtonian and, sometime in the future, a 9.25 inch Celestron EdgeHD.

#70 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

I use this 2 inch adapter to connect my 60Da to mine.

http://www.telescope...dex.htm?rpa.htm

#71 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

I just noticed that WO has come out with something similar.

http://www.williamop...products_id=626

Cool :jump: :jump: :jump:

Timm

I use this 2 inch adapter to connect my 60Da to mine.

http://www.telescope...dex.htm?rpa.htm

#72 johnadig

johnadig

Lift Off

• Loc: Central NJ

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Timm

I'm eagerly awaiting! :cool:

#73 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Timm

I'm also thinking of doing a YouTube video review - might be kind of fun. Is anyone interested in that sort of review?

Timm

#74 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Yes, definitely!

#75 johnadig

johnadig

Lift Off

• Loc: Central NJ

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Timm

I'm also thinking of doing a YouTube video review - might be kind of fun. Is anyone interested in that sort of review?

Timm

Absolutely! I ordered one last week, should have it Wednesday!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics