CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Funny notes you've discovered on your old logs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I've been scanning all of my old observing logs and have found some neat things in them, obscure NGC objects I really liked and should revisit, along with some amusing notes i've made.

My favorite so far of the handful i've gone through was about observing under mag 7 skies on a pristine night with an old 13" coulter dob. I had logged tons of new objects, carefully figuring out each and every fuzzball i'd come across. It was getting late and I went over to the Virgo Cluster.

"Virgo - gave up identify, scanned for ~5 minutes - 64 galaxies"

#2 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

"Virgo - gave up identify, scanned for ~5 minutes - 64 galaxies"

A 13-inch, under mag 7 skies?!

Yeah, no kidding!
:lol:

I think i have a comment in mine somewhere... finding one particular EP that seemed particularly adept at spotting planetary nebs; they were EVERYwhere!

Needless to say, it didn't stay long... and iirc, a ParaCorr wasn't long in coming hence.
:whistle:

#3 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I know what you mean. I've had a widefield eyepiece or two where it seemed like everything towards the edge was a DSO, but it kept moving every time I went towards it!

#4 Starman81

Starman81

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't think I have a log of this attempted observation, and it is more embarassing than funny, but how about the time I tried to observe M51 while it was only about 25* high in the sky... with a 4" scope... in a light polluted (white zone) area while looking into the most light polluted area of the sky and then being frustrated and genuinely disappointed I could not see it!

:lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics