Photo

Funny notes you've discovered on your old logs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I've been scanning all of my old observing logs and have found some neat things in them, obscure NGC objects I really liked and should revisit, along with some amusing notes i've made.

My favorite so far of the handful i've gone through was about observing under mag 7 skies on a pristine night with an old 13" coulter dob. I had logged tons of new objects, carefully figuring out each and every fuzzball i'd come across. It was getting late and I went over to the Virgo Cluster.

"Virgo - gave up identify, scanned for ~5 minutes - 64 galaxies"

#2 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

"Virgo - gave up identify, scanned for ~5 minutes - 64 galaxies"

A 13-inch, under mag 7 skies?!

Yeah, no kidding!
:lol:

I think i have a comment in mine somewhere... finding one particular EP that seemed particularly adept at spotting planetary nebs; they were EVERYwhere!

Needless to say, it didn't stay long... and iirc, a ParaCorr wasn't long in coming hence.
:whistle:

#3 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I know what you mean. I've had a widefield eyepiece or two where it seemed like everything towards the edge was a DSO, but it kept moving every time I went towards it!

#4 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't think I have a log of this attempted observation, and it is more embarassing than funny, but how about the time I tried to observe M51 while it was only about 25* high in the sky... with a 4" scope... in a light polluted (white zone) area while looking into the most light polluted area of the sky and then being frustrated and genuinely disappointed I could not see it!

:lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics