High transparency after storm?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

• Loc: OK, USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I have been using SSEC Geostationary Image to help my observation session. Tonight after the Rocky storm I found the 6.3um image shows a great "dark band" across US continent. I was excited about it and tried to do some DSO observation. Unfortunately I was too late and the moon was just too bright to do any meaningful DSO observation. So I wonder if anyone has had a good viewing before moon coming up.

I remember a great night in Feb. that was new moon and I had darkest background and greatest DSO hunting night. I have been trying to catch those great evening ever since.

Attached Files

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Yes, after storms we in the Northeastern U.S. generally have superb transparency coupled with abysmal seeing.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Here in Denver, it's usually the day or two AFTER a storm that the transparancy and seeing improve...unless another storm comes in...

#4 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the report. This water absorption (the lack of it) "dark belt" still exist today. Unfortunately, my locate (OK) has been out of it. People in northern TX area may have a great night according to this image?

Here is today image:

Attached Files

#5 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

This is the 'dry slot' which typically follows close behind a cold front. My experience has it that the initial clearing behind a cold front almost always results in the best transparency. Once a day or thereabouts has passed the sky tends to worsen, although the trend is for better seeing (steadiness.)

#6 Puck Ja

Puck Ja

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Glenn:

Thanks for the sharing. Now I learned what that was called. I took a quick peek tonight right before moon coming up and the transparency was good! :)

The dry slot now moved back to OK.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics