• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Instead of the sky they are looking at their feet as their Newtonian is set up backwards, and using a white light to illuminate the telescope... Goes to show how ignorant the producer was....

Little Ceasers - Stargazing

Attached Files

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

oops

#3 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I think the photographer did it to make a more pleasing photograph, thinking that no one would notice. Neither would anyone observe with a lantern burning in their faces.

#4 SusanY

SusanY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

So THAT is what I've been doing wrong all this time! And I'm guessing that the supernova I discovered last night was probably just a firefly... I'm so disappointed.

#5 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Our little hobby is so obsure. I recall reading accounts here on CN about dobsonians being mistaken for cannons. My SCT has been mistaken for a television camera, or as a searchlight.

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ha! i wonder if they are the same way about their pizza? :scared:

#7 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Little or NO research was done!!!....can't an amateur astronomer get a little respect around here?!?!?

#8 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

So THAT is what I've been doing wrong all this time! And I'm guessing that the supernova I discovered last night was probably just a firefly... I'm so disappointed.

...or a misplaced camping lantern!!!!!?!!!!

#9 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I think the photographer did it to make a more pleasing photograph, thinking that no one would notice. Neither would anyone observe with a lantern burning in their faces.

That sounds about right. Maybe it's better if amateur astronomy is slightly misrepresented than not represented at all.

Tom

#10 Lentini

Lentini

Explorer 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

*sigh*

#11 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

*sigh*

but more people will see the commercial than any/most of our promotions

edj

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Little or NO research was done!!!....can't an amateur astronomer get a little respect around here?!?!?

NO member of the public--not one--will notice the misbegotten position of the scope or the lantern. What they will notice is a father and son having fun watching the sky. AND this single silly little commercial will have more impact than any "accurate" PR the Astronomical League, for example, cooks up, I guar-ron-tee.

I still prefer Toyota's excellent "Camp Evening" star party spot, but this is cool. :cool:

#13 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Michigan

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

How does that saying go?...
'You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time,.... and then there are commercials.'

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#14 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

That sounds about right. Maybe it's better if amateur astronomy is slightly misrepresented than not represented at all.

Tom

I agree. Any ad that promotes stargazing is a good thing for our hobby.

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

How does that saying go?...
'You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time,.... and then there are commercials.'

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

There's another saying: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." ;)

#16 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

I built an f/5 refractor once, using a secondary mirror built into the back of the scope to reflect the light to the focuser. Comfortable viewing with the diagonal built in.

Of course, the first night I had it set up at a star party I had lots of astronomers telling me "my newt is upside-down".

#17 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

This commercial was mentioned a few months ago here. Hollyweird never gets it right.

Joe

#18 skinnyonce

skinnyonce

Vostok 1

• Loc: ohio

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Tom

I agree. Any ad that promotes stargazing is a good thing for our hobby.

And pizza is a late night hobby,do we in turn promote it.. :question:

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

And pizza is a late night hobby,do we in turn promote it.. :question:

I dang sure do! :lol:

#20 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

But of course!! :jump:

#21 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for sharing that Toyota commercial. It puts our obscure hobby in a good light. A definite keeper.

NO member of the public--not one--will notice the misbegotten position of the scope or the lantern. What they will notice is a father and son having fun watching the sky. AND this single silly little commercial will have more impact than any "accurate" PR the Astronomical League, for example, cooks up, I guar-ron-tee.

I still prefer Toyota's excellent "Camp Evening" star party spot, but this is cool. :cool:

#22 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Our little hobby is so obsure. I recall reading accounts here on CN about dobsonians being mistaken for cannons. My SCT has been mistaken for a television camera, or as a searchlight.

One of our club members was observing with a 10" dobsonian after 9/11 and while he was observing he noticed a chain of police cars approaching with their lights on, and when they apprached him, they told him to lie face down on the ground. Apparently someone called saying there was a motar on the hill getting ready to fire down on the town. The police just laughed and joked with him looking through his telescope after they realised it was not a mortar at all and just a telescope.

Maintence groomers once asked if that was a cannon in the garage. I obliged and said "Yes, my hobby is being a human cannonball". :lol: :roflmao:
I just couldn't resist.

#23 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

One of our club members was observing with a 10" dobsonian after 9/11 and while he was observing he noticed a chain of police cars approaching with their lights on, and when they apprached him, they told him to lie face down on the ground. Apparently someone called saying there was a motar on the hill getting ready to fire down on the town. The police just laughed and joked with him looking through his telescope after they realised it was not a mortar at all and just a telescope.

Maintence groomers once asked if that was a cannon in the garage. I obliged and said "Yes, my hobby is being a human cannonball". :lol: :roflmao:
I just couldn't resist.

There have been a few times little kids have asked "what is that?", referring to my Obsession dobs. I tell them it's a cannon that we use to shoot misbehaving children out of.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics