• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Anybody here use a Moonlite Focuser , If so how do you like it :question: I'm looking to get one for a 11" Edge

#2 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't have a Moonlight but I have the Feathertouch on my C11. I can't do without it especially when imaging Jupiter. It eliminates mirror shift while focussing and the fine focus is a must. I recently bought a used C8 and sent away for an adapter so I can use the focusser on both scopes. The price is a little high but to me it's a work of art and worth every penny. I'm sure the Moonlight is every bit as good and wouldn't hesitiate on buying either one. Gerry

#3 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I don't have a Moonlight but I have the Feathertouch on my C11. I can't do without it especially when imaging Jupiter. It eliminates mirror shift while focussing and the fine focus is a must. I recently bought a used C8 and sent away for an adapter so I can use the focusser on both scopes. The price is a little high but to me it's a work of art and worth every penny. I'm sure the Moonlight is every bit as good and wouldn't hesitiate on buying either one. Gerry

I think your using a FT Mini mirror Focuser , I'm looking at the 2.5" with the 1.5 D tube & the Hi ress stepper motor

#4 Jim Davenport

Jim Davenport

Ranger 4

• Loc: Seminole Fl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Anybody here use a Moonlite Focuser , If so how do you like it :question: I'm looking to get one for a 11" Edge

The dual speed "Moonlite" is one of my best investments for my C-11.
Just about eliminates mirror shift.

Attached Files

#5 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

No, actually it's the 2" dual speed focuser with the 1.5" draw tube. Gerry

#6 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yes

Posted Image

I like Moonlight crayfords more than Feathertouch BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUNCTIONALITY of either of them. They're both fine pieces of hardware. To me, there's more of a 'custom' appeal to what Ron does. I just dig it.

#7 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yes

Posted Image

I like Moonlight crayfords more than Feather Touch BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUNCTIONALITY of either of them. They're both fine pieces of hardware. To me, there's more of a 'custom' appeal to what Ron does. I just dig it.

Supper nice guy Ron is, You and Jim are getting me in a lot of HOT water :tonofbricks: Now you Guys have to help me come up with some thing to tell my Wife to why I had to buy this Crayford with the Autofocus are She will put me in Orbit :crutch:

#8 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

No, actually it's the 2" dual speed focuser with the 1.5" draw tube. Gerry

After looking at all Reviews that I could find and to what you Guys said, Both are top grade stuff , I looked at the Feather Touch and the Moonlite and with the Autofocus on both Apples to Apples the Moonlite is less $$$ and $$$ I don't have much of so I went with the Moonlite, I ordered mine in the Gold . Thank You all for the help and the Photos

#9 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

What do you think about the Rigel Sys electric focuser to the stock Celestron focuser instead of the Feathertouch Microfocuser? I am mainly interested in planetary imaging. With the stock focuser I often turn the knob many times before reaching focus..

#10 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

What do you think about the Rigel Sys electric focuser to the stock Celestron focuser instead of the Feathertouch Microfocuser? I am mainly interested in planetary imaging. With the stock focuser I often turn the knob many times before reaching focus..

Here's an example of what can be done, motorizing the stock focus knob... (in this case with a stepper)

http://www.pbase.com/skybox

#11 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

That seems to be a Taurus Tracker III on that set up. Do you know what has happened to them?
Michael

#12 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

If I may ask - how come the FT microfocuser is installed together with the Moonlite? Doesn't the crayford render the microfocuser useless?

The thing I dont like abt the crayford is that if I understood correctly if you want to use the Celestron Focal Reducer this has to be attached behind the focuser.. ie. the focuser needs to be removed and reinstalled every time..PITN!

Yes

Posted Image

I like Moonlight crayfords more than Feathertouch BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUNCTIONALITY of either of them. They're both fine pieces of hardware. To me, there's more of a 'custom' appeal to what Ron does. I just dig it.

#13 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

I recently bought a used C11 Edge with an older version (no clutch) of the high-resolution Moonlite focuser controlled by the Mini V-2. Love it. It is the third Moonlite, one with the DC motor (with clutch) on the 8" DK, another single focus on the 8"SN. All are quality units and the Moonlite folks are great to work with.

Ed

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics