CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

To Sky Tour or Not to Sky Tour?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hello everyone,

OK, about 25 years ago I was into astronomy enough to know most of the constellations and where they were in the sky, along with the location of a few deep sky objects. After a long lay-off I'm getting back into observing a bit more seriously. I'm not quite a beginner but close to it. I picked up a nice NP-101 with Gibraltar mount last week and Sky Tour star finding system. I hadn't intended to use any kind of GoTo or Push-to system, just wanted to use a sky map and figure my way around the sky and hunt for celestial objects. But since the Sky Tour came with the used system I bought, now I'm wondering if I should try to use it or just stick it away in the closet.

What's your philosophy? Do you think something like Sky Tour is a good aide for beginners just wanting to view the sky (no imaging) or is it more fulfilling to navigate the old school way?

Thanks...

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I use the Sky Commander with my alt-az mount. In significant light pollution it makes finding objects much easier, since there aren't enough stars visible to star hop easily.

#3 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Sand Springs, OK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I used to have SkyTour on my Panoramic with a TV-85, it worked great.
Easy to install and pretty accurate.

Like Lane said, it makes observing in light polluted skies a lot easier.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics