• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hello everyone,

OK, about 25 years ago I was into astronomy enough to know most of the constellations and where they were in the sky, along with the location of a few deep sky objects. After a long lay-off I'm getting back into observing a bit more seriously. I'm not quite a beginner but close to it. I picked up a nice NP-101 with Gibraltar mount last week and Sky Tour star finding system. I hadn't intended to use any kind of GoTo or Push-to system, just wanted to use a sky map and figure my way around the sky and hunt for celestial objects. But since the Sky Tour came with the used system I bought, now I'm wondering if I should try to use it or just stick it away in the closet.

What's your philosophy? Do you think something like Sky Tour is a good aide for beginners just wanting to view the sky (no imaging) or is it more fulfilling to navigate the old school way?

Thanks...

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I use the Sky Commander with my alt-az mount. In significant light pollution it makes finding objects much easier, since there aren't enough stars visible to star hop easily.

#3 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I used to have SkyTour on my Panoramic with a TV-85, it worked great.
Easy to install and pretty accurate.

Like Lane said, it makes observing in light polluted skies a lot easier.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics