• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter...

Does anybody use one of these? I am mainly interested in using it on Jupiter. Is it worth getting?

Cheers,

#2 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Mark, I didn't care for It. It's ok, but I find Jupiter best left as is ~ au naturale!

Next time we go out I'll bring my M&SG and you can see for yourself. You may like It, who knows?

Mike

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

That will be most excellent Mike! Looking forward to trying it out !!! :like:

Cheers,

#4 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I use one and to me it works better with some eyepieces than others. Example, the Baader Genuine Orthos and my Siebert Star Splitters work well with it. My Meade RG orthos and volcano top orthos do not show much improvement to my eye. I use it about 25% of the time when observing Jupiter, however if I dropped in in the grass and lost it, I would not miss it. I can't remember seeing a detail with it than without it. To my eye it does make some colors pop more but nothing significant. Your experience might be totally different......it's a try before you buy if you can kind of accessory to me.

#5 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Mark, I didn't care for It. It's ok, but I find Jupiter best left as is ~ au naturale!

Next time we go out I'll bring my M&SG and you can see for yourself. You may like It, who knows?

Mike

If you don't care for it, why do you have one? lol

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

I don't kno of any planetary filter that reveals heretofore unseen details, but the right ones do enhance contrast and best of all preserve visual acuity.

Thanks for the comments!

Pete

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

See this thread for more info:
M&SG filter

#8 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the link Don! :waytogo:

Cheers,

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I've played with the NEO. It's a nice nice GENTLE filter. Haven't done the deepsky test, but its not like Orion's Mars filter that floods and floureces colors* instead it gives most any object looked at this cool toned natural balance with a little yellow subtracted. It's gentle enough that observers who might be put off by wratten saturation like W23a or especially a W25 will find this one a revelation. Natural color balance with a cool blue (pale) cast that makes typical RGB enhanced but not garish. It couples excellently with my BAADER Fringe Killer - indeed BAADER makes a NEO filter with the Fringe as an all in one. When stacked the pale blue with the minus violet yield something closer to a ND look but again with RGB enhancement. The violet end nixed by the FK is absent but its a color that never enters my planetary views anyway.

The pale blue tone is actually kind of easy to forget after some glassing but the firey reds and vivid blues are a repeating treat. I HAVE to believe festoons would look beautiful with this and simultaneously even a pale red spot - a feat no wratten can achieve.

Been day spotting due to clouds - regardless its easy to see the effectiveness - on virtually everything.

Pete
Appears to fluoresce rather - glow - is another apt description of color enhancement.

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

IME, M&SG is the best overall filter for Jupiter and Mars. Magenta for Mars is a close second. M&SG stacked with Magenta is nice for Mars, too.

Mike

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

If you look through a blue filter and improves your view of Jupiter, then you will probably like filter too. Otherwise don't but it. It definitely works for my eyes.

#12 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

That's weird you said that Lane, as I just bought three planetary filters! 80A light Blue, #56 light Green, and 96ND.

A friend of mine has the Neo, which I am going to try out if we ever get some clear skies around here, lol.

Cheers!

#13 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter...

Does anybody use one of these? I am mainly interested in using it on Jupiter. Is it worth getting?

Cheers,

Orion Skyglow works great on Jupiter in revealing more bands and contrast (but does give an atrificial look).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics