6 replies to this topic

#1 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Dear All

I have recently come into possession of a very early Questar Standard model (#0-744) which although in excellent state both mechanically and optically :cool: is missing some parts. :p

Firstly, this particular one does not have a finder sun filter. I'm wondering if this gadget only became available in later models as I cannot see any holes or something that would tell me it was lost at some point. Is this a part that can be bought separately and retrofitted?

Also, although this one has "lived" in the UK for a long time, it's a 115VAC model. It's missing its power cord so I have not been able to test the motor but I would like to replace it with the 220VAC unit if this can be actually done? Or is it better to acquire the dual speed DC motors that are also available now?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Roberto

#2 ralphfoss

ralphfoss

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bangor, Maine

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Early Questars did not have finder sun filters that came in the mid 60s I believe. I believe one can be added but you will have to talk to Questar.

I power cord can be purchased from Questar. I would also think a 22VAC could be added.

I would guess you do not live in the US or Canada, so returning the Questar to Questar might be expensive. I would check with Questar to see what is possible.

Ralph Foss

#3 Mike Hood

Mike Hood

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hi Roberto,

Your Questar was made in 1960. Questar's did not come with a finder sun filter until the late 1960s. However, the
finder sun filter was designed to fit all Questars even
the early ones like yours. You can order one from Questar and install it yourself.
You can replace the 110VAC motor with a new 220VAC and that
can also be ordered from Questar. It will be a lot cheaper
than having you motor replaced with the DC motor. The DC motor replacement will require sending the scope to Questar
for the work to be done. Also, a new base plate will be required. That will raise the height of your Questar and
it will no longer fit the older English cases.
Call Mr. Jim Reichert at Questar. He can give you all the
details.
Congratulations, on your old, new to you, Questar.

Good Seeing,

Mike Hood

#4 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

Mike and Ralph

Many thanks for your replies! :bow: I will get in touch with Questar as you suggest.

Roberto :thanx:

#5 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

I spoke to Jim earlier today and he could not have been more helpful! Several parts now on order to bring this beautiful scope to top condition!

Many thanks again for your help. :thanx:

#6 Les

Les

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think it has been previously mentioned in this forum that the addition of the sun filter for the finder was in part inspired by the suggestion of Johnnie Carson, an early owner of the Questar.

#7 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

Interesting information Les - these little scopes are full of history! :cool:

I should be getting the parts I ordered from Questar over the next couple of weeks. The only part I could not get from them was a replacement central equatorial leg for high latitudes. The model I got has the longer leg. Instead of hacking half of that one off - I bought two aluminium tubes and will make my own telescopic leg to work at 52N. :smash:

Roberto

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics