Photo

Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff Nickels

Cliff Nickels

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I purchased a used 24mm Orion Stratus which arrived today! It was in great shape, however as I was examining the eyepiece I accidentally unscrewed the eyepiece along the central threading. This caused all of the elements, and what look like spacers, to fall out and plop onto my lap. Now I have absolutely no idea how to put it all back together cleanly.

I spoke to a rep from Orion. He told me they don't actually service their eyepieces, so that was a dead end. I also spoke to the owner of my nearest scope shop. He explained that in all probability it would take him hours of work and cost more than the eyepiece is actually worth to reassemble.

I keep telling myself that if only I had plans or instructions I could fix it myself. Is there anyone who can provide guidance, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks

#2 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Maybe this might help.
http://www.chuckhawk...ece_designs.htm

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Don't worry someone will have a diagram out here soon. This has happened before with other eyepieces. Just make sure when you reassemble it that you carefully clean each lens of fingerprints and dust, or you my be taking it apart and reassembling it again.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

The Baader Hyperions are supposed to be the same as the Orion Stratus. Here is a small diagram of the Hyperion.

Attached Files

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

If you have trouble lowering the lenses into the body, try using one of those suction cup darts from a toy dart gun.

#6 Cliff Nickels

Cliff Nickels

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

If you have trouble lowering the lenses into the body, try using one of those suction cup darts from a toy dart gun.

Thanks for the info and glimmer of hope! I might try the dart trick. I typically use powderless latex gloves if I have to handle things like filters to get the smudges out, which I think works really well.

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Here is another (cause you can use the dart and lower it into the casing, but how do you now loosen the dart):

Take the rubber end of a dart and drill a hole in it. Fit the dart with the hole onto a syringe; place the dart on the lens and draw back on the plunger; hold back the plunger and lift the lens into the eyepiece; once in place, release the plunger. I would reccomend a 3 or 5cc syringe. You can get them at any pharmacy. Guess in a pinch you could use an meat injector syringe).

If one is really Rube Goldberg inclined, you could replace the syringe with a small vacumme pump.

#8 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Oh, and no need for an EKG, you're heart's just fine.....

#9 Cliff Nickels

Cliff Nickels

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I think that Hyperion diagram might be for a different focal length, or maybe just a stylized rendition. Either way, the diagram doesn't seem to match the pieces I have. I've been trying to piece it back together just to see if can get them to fit at all. I get close, but each time I try to close it up, the elements collapse down. It's frustrating :bawling:

Attached Files

#10 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

I just checked and that diagram is the 24mm Hyperion which should be the same as the 24mm Stratus. I am not positive, but that is what everyone always says on this site that the Status and the Hyperion have the same lenses.

I know it looks like 6 lenses in the diagram but the top 2 and bottom 2 are probably cemented. So there are only 4 lenses just like you have there on your sheet of paper. Just try to match the curves with the diagram as best you can. The diagram probably exaggerates the curves so don't let that throw you off.

With the 21mm the combination of the lenses and spacers would only work one certain way, so it could not be assembled wrong.

In regard to the dart:
I was able to use a small rubber dart to lower the lenses into the 21mm Hyperion and then just used a popsicle stick to push on the edge to pry it loose. Then I used a lint free lens swab and some Windex to clear off the marks left behind.

#11 tubehead999

tubehead999

Viking 1

• Loc: Kennesaw, GA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

I did that one time...on purpose...dust between the elements....the eyepiece is basically an Erfle , if I recall.....try this as a baseline..careful..easy to chip an edge.

Attached Files

#12 cjc

cjc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, England

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

They will not collapse down if correct so you need to find how they fit. Even then you will be left with multiple arrangements. The wrong ones will not come to a focus and this can most easily be determined by viewing an artificial star.

The way to lower lenses into a casing is to support the lenses from below towards the top of the casing, with a piece of dowel or similar (I use a felt-tip marker) and then raise the casing around the lens. This way the lenses cannot flip or jam.

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

and the field len's connected to the crown glass,
the crown glass connected to the flint glass,
the flint glass is connected to No glass;
CAUSE THEIR ALL LYING IN MY LAP!!!!!!!!!!!! :help: :bangbangbang: :scared: :nonono:

Talk about a bummer day............

#14 sixela

sixela

Voyager 1

• Loc: Boechout, Belgium

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think that Hyperion diagram might be for a different focal length, or maybe just a stylized rendition. Either way, the diagram doesn't seem to match the pieces I have.

The diagram in _not_ for a 24mm Hyperion, since that doesn't have the last field negative doublet in the 1.25" part. That's a generic 'Hyperion' image that is only more or less correct for the range up to 17mm (and if my memory serves me right, that's the 17mm).

Apart from that it _is_ more or less similar: on top are the two plane-conves central lenses (that just touch with the correct spacer in between) and then you have three cemented doublets: the field doublet and two convex/concave groups.

It's not exactly identical, though.

#15 sixela

sixela

Voyager 1

• Loc: Boechout, Belgium

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

It'd be easier to tell which is which if you also measured the lens group diameters to tell us which were wider or narrower, the diameters of the spacers (and also told us what was a spacer and what was a lens group, it's not clear from the picture) and also tried to describe the lens radii (flantess and convex/concave) for all the faces, possibly also with a side picture of the lenses.

How many groups do you have, how many spacers, and which of the groups appear to be (usually thick) cemented doublets?

#16 tubehead999

tubehead999

Viking 1

• Loc: Kennesaw, GA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

All good suggestions...you may want to step back and breathe deep.....and assemble the eyepiece outside of the barrel, mask it up with tape and test it , then disassemble and remount it ...knowing it is correct.

Attached Files

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Use the eyepiece as a 1X Stratus? 100% of the light passes thru, no glare or other abberations, sharp to the edge...just like the ad says! :lol:

Did a quick search, there's no diagrams or schematics available.....

#18 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

If you look at the Hyperion drawing and subtract the small lens in the bottom barrel (not present in the 24mm), you''l see 4 groups.
Using that as a guide, you should be able to reassemble the eyepiece on top of a small plactic tube or block, with the bottom lens first and then stack them up, without a barrel.
Then, lower the outer barrel over the lens stack until all are in the large barrel.
Pick up the eyepiece with the block or tube the lenses are sitting on and flip it over.
Rethread the bottom into the eyepiece and don't unscrew it again.
Don't overtighten the barrel or you might hear a crunch of glass breaking.

#19 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Orion is proud to announce the newest in it's line of eyepiece optics....Save 10's if not 100's of dollars! All our eyepieces will now be available loose in a baggie....PUT IT TOGETHER YOURSELF AND SAVE!

(In order to make this offer affordable, no instructions were created, not responsible for any breakage, accident, or injury, no returns) :lol:

#20 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

Orion is proud to announce the newest in it's line of eyepiece optics....Save 10's if not 100's of dollars! All our eyepieces will now be available loose in a baggie....PUT IT TOGETHER YOURSELF AND SAVE!

(In order to make this offer affordable, no instructions were created, not responsible for any breakage, accident, or injury, no returns) :lol:

Haha, that's hilarious!

Ah... I feel for the OP, but as I've had a few glasses of wine before posting this, I admit I giggled about his dilema. I mean... its really sort of funny in that not so funny way: New EP... just got it.... looking at it.... decides to unscrew something that is young and willing... and then... BAM! SHTF! His joy becomes instant gloom and all of the sudden overwhelming despair sets in as his new eye piece becomes multiple puzzle pieces that shouldn't be even exposed to the 'outside' all sitting in his lap in random order. Ah... that sucks.

I hope you are able to piece it back together. Dang Orion... "we don't actually service the stuff we sell..."

Rob

#21 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'm afraid of unscrewing the bottom half even if the eyepiece is upside down in case the lenses "shift" somehow and they go on an angle rendering the views useless.

I thought once about taking the bottom half of my 22mm Vixen LVW off and adding a 28mm FTR to see what would happen, but after asking on here FIRST, I got my answer and left it alone. The 22mm LVW will REMAIN a 22mm LVW without any "curious" thinking from now on. :lol:

Never take an eyepiece apart, unless you're an expert.

Cheers,

#22 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

as Igor once said, "Could be worse, could be raining.."

#23 Cliff Nickels

Cliff Nickels

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Orion is proud to announce the newest in it's line of eyepiece optics....

I mean... its really sort of funny in that not so funny way: New EP... just got it.... looking at it.... decides to unscrew something that is young and willing... and then... BAM! SHTF! His joy becomes instant gloom and all of the sudden overwhelming despair sets in as his new eye piece becomes multiple puzzle pieces that shouldn't be even exposed to the 'outside'..."

Just want to let you all know I really appreciate the LOLs. :roflmao:

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far! I'll see if I can reassemble it this weekend your tips. Maybe I'll even post a crude diagram for posterity as well.

#24 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

They say laughter is a way of sharing and thereby diminishing pain. That must be true, because I've found this to be the funniest thread I've read in a long time. I can only imagine how badly I'd feel if I ever let curiosity drive me to do what the OP did to a pretty good eyepiece. You have my deepest sympathies, Sir, despite the tears of laughter in my eyes. I bought the spacer rings for my Hyperions over a year ago and still haven't gotten up the nerve to try them out for fear of doing the same thing!

Should the eyepieces that need them carry stickers warning, "No user servicable parts inside"?

#25 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Must admit my first reaction was the initial shock...then I laughed my a$$ off.....Hope it goes back together.....BUT, it is an Orion product, who knows, we could be looking at the next eyepiece craze...but we gotta find a name, the "Cliffie" just doesn't have the right ring to it....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics