• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ceski2

ceski2

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston/Austin, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

GARRETT BINOCULAR CHOICE ONLY, no other Model bias owners reply unless about the exact subject at hand... I have ALL intentions of making an immediate purchase on a set of Garrett 28x110 binoculars.....They were out of stock and tried pushing the 20x110 models on me saying they were better optics........I am usually "frustrated" when I don't stick with my first choice, (stick with my gut and guns)........Does anyone have experience with these?..Can the rubber eyecups be removed and reinstalled?..I want the extra power...but at the cost of "better optics" so they say...????.......What do you think?.....They are paid for and I need to give a reply to the company..I CAN wait for the 3-4 weeks for the 28x110s to come back into stock... Thank you for all your help, Charles

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

What aspects of the 20X110's optics are better than the 28X110's?

Edge sharpness? Center sharpness? Color?

Did they let you know why they advised you the 20X has better optics?

#3 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I think the 20x110s are the same objectives as the 28x110s with different eyepieces. They are both BA-8s, I think. If that qualifies as different optics (and I think it does), I guess they are different.

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

There is a real difference between the two in comfortable eye relief. If you wear eyeglasses, the 28x with its short eye relief could present a problem for you.

The 20x has more eye relief but narrower AFOV. You pick.

I hope I stayed on topic... ;)

Rich

#5 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Other things being equal, which here I'm sure applies to objectives and prisms, a lower power will be sharper due to the aberrations being less magnified. A mitigating factor which might favor the higher power is poor performance in the eye's outer pupil, where a smaller exit pupil will restrict to the better central region of the eye.

#6 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

From this thread...

20x110 vs. 28x110...

You will find this reply...

"If you're asking about the differences between the 20/28x, I can't really say, as I've never looked through the 28x- but when I bought mine, I was leaning towards the 28x- but Zach- at Garrett convinced me that the 20x really offered the better view of the two as far as quality of the optics, pinpoint stars, etc. I'm sure its not a significant difference, as people who have the 28x are also happy with them. All depends on if you want the wider field lower mag or higher mag narrower fov as to which would be best for you. AFOV= 54º, 64º; True FOV= 2.7º, 2.3º per the specs at Garrett."

I knew I had read this before so I went looking for it.

#7 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Post deleted by hallelujah

#8 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'd wait for the higher power binocular, as long as the 11mm of usable eye relief works for you.

#9 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Though mine are 20x80, I think I would like that higher mag. Like Stan said, listen to your gut..... Phil

#10 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

About 6 months ago I ordered the 28x110s. When they came they were severely miscollimated, neither tube would come to focus even when the eyepiece was cranked all the way out, and best focus in the center of the eyepiece (which was still slightly fuzzy) resulted in the outer field in the eyepiece being completely unfocused which is a sign of severe field curvature.

I got the same story when I called to return them, that the 20x110s had better eyepieces and less field curvature. They never addressed the miscollimation issue or the not coming to focus issue.

So I opted for the 20x110s. They did focus (barely), the field curvature was better, but alas, these are still not collimated properly. I can look through them for about 20 seconds until I start getting eye strain. They require you to look "wall-eyed" which is the opposite of crossing your eyes which is why I get eye strain so quickly.

Conclusion, I'll never buy another binocular from Garrett. Their 14 point check is a joke (why don't they tell you what 14 things they are checking?). I now have a $740 paper weight which I can't use and they set in their case in my bedroom. Unless I want to pay someone to collimate them which I shouldn't have to do.

Oberwork (big binoculars.com) is the way to go. Kevin the owner personally collimates each bino he sells and they are of high quality. I have his 20x80 Deluxe IIIs and his 45-20x100 bino telescope. He is very friendly and approachable. You can actually call him and talk. Garrett won't even give you their phone number on their website.

Oberwork also sells some 25x100s either center or individual focus.

#11 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Conclusion, I'll never buy another binocular from Garrett.

Their 14 point check is a joke (why don't they tell you what 14 things they are checking?).

I now have a $740 paper weight which I can't use and they set in their case in my bedroom.

Garrett won't even give you their phone number on their website.

We have heard these horror stories in the past, but thought that the Signature Series had better Quality Control, etc.

I now see that, across-the-board, this is not true. :(

Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

Stan

#12 ceski2

ceski2

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston/Austin, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Thanks everyone here for their input!!!.....Y'all are all first rate members!

#13 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I can attest to the Oberwerk's being of excellent quality. My BT-100 45's were simply stunning. I noticed no eye strain whatsoever.

#14 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I agree with what others have said, all of the high mag ba8 series have very similar ep's if not the same, shorter er & the fov is pushed that bit too far to make the edge of the fov deteriorate. Whether this bothers you depends on how you view (slightly mushy edges doesn't distract me)

The er of the high power ep's is about 10mm, that's about what I can push my quite thin astig. Correcting glasses against the ep to see the entire fov, which is what I exp with my 15x70 SS

To the poster who rceived 2 pairs of bad collimation, the 2nd pair did you send them back? Garrett does not collate himself but gets Cory S to do the collimation, he takes a great deal of care to get collimation spot on.

The 14 point check is marketing talk, though I can say that the binos are checked before being sold (even bins like, the garrett classic1050)
I saw the bino checking setup & a check the alignment of the bino (though not on a mkV collimator)-the rejects are sent to Cory for proper collimation

Back to my personal preference for binos, I almost always prefer a higher power binocular, 7x50 don't do it for me so I take a 10x50
10.5x70 is no good, I like the 15x70 & so on....
so I would not get the 20x110 & I would wait for the 28x & live with the eyepiece design deficiency...don't think about changing eyepieces either as you suggested, unless you get Cory to do it for you

#15 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I took the 20x100s out when I first got them to briefly check the collimation, and I could merge the images. It wasn't until after the 30 day return period that I tried to use them for an extended period of time and found out about the "wall-eyed" eye strain issue. By then, it was too late to return them.

#16 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Rodger, I sent you a PM regarding your 20x110 bino.

#17 eklf

eklf

Apollo

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I am somwhat surprised by the less-than-stellar experiences stated here of the BA8 high-mag series, if indeed they all share the same (or similar) eyepieces. The 15x70 and 22x85 have generally gotten rave reviews; if the 28x use the same/similar eyepieces, then is the longer FL the culprit or a lower Focal ratio? Rather Curious!

#18 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong with the higher mag./shorter FL eyepieces. I personally like the views through 64° AFOV eyepieces over 54° ones. These eyepieces don't have field flatteners like Fuji FMTs, though, so the edge of field of the WF eyepieces will be softer.

The killer for many users that need to wear eyeglasses with the 28x model is the fact that the 10mm of eye relief can make it impossible to see the full FOV. Even without eyeglasses, I find I have to press my eyes tight against rolled back rubber eyecups with 10mm ER binos.

Collimation issues will be more apparent as well; higher mag. makes apparent misalignment proportionally greater. Increasing the magnification nearly 50% is bound to make the 28x version less forgiving given the same amount of misalignment.

I suggest the OP should read the sections of the "Best Of" section regarding the effects of eye pupil/exit pupil, magnification and eye relief and decide for himself what attributes he considers to be most inportant to him.

Rich

#19 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Although the way the title of this thread was worded made me hesitate to to even dare to post a reply,it may not be either too late,nor more importantly considered too off-topic,to mention that in spite of having no personal experience with ANY of these much vaunted BA8 series of binoculars, I have noted that of the larger variety,the 22x85 model appears to have brought the least criticism.

Kenny

#20 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Your right Kenny but its hard to lay your hands on a pair secondhand, another telling factor

#21 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks. PM received.

#22 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

When it comes to the BA8 series I own the 15x70s from Astrophysics and they have been exemplary from day one. So I don't know what's up with the 110s either.

#23 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

GARRETT BINOCULAR CHOICE ONLY, no other Model bias owners reply unless about the exact subject at hand... I have ALL intentions of making an immediate purchase on a set of Garrett 28x110 binoculars.....They were out of stock and tried pushing the 20x110 models on me saying they were better optics........I am usually "frustrated" when I don't stick with my first choice, (stick with my gut and guns)........Does anyone have experience with these?..Can the rubber eyecups be removed and reinstalled?..I want the extra power...but at the cost of "better optics" so they say...????.......What do you think?.....They are paid for and I need to give a reply to the company..I CAN wait for the 3-4 weeks for the 28x110s to come back into stock... Thank you for all your help, Charles

Charles, get the ones you want. Its worth waiting for because once you have them, you have them. If you don't use eyeglasses when observing, the shorter eye relief wont be an issue.
Lots of us have gotten excited because of these comets coming our way and many issues have come up with availability of stock. Still, in the end, you have to live with what you got and so get the ones you wanted. The 28x seems pretty nice to me vs the 20x ones.
Have you looked through the 25x100mm pair from many manufactures? I debated on big binoculars for a while, and I seriously considered the 28x110'x but I didn't want the shorter eye relief despite me not needing to wear glasses with them, and I didn't like the narrower field of view. I also didn't want the 20x, that's just not enough magnification for comet hunting, at least to me.
In the end, i bought the 25x 100mm Oberwerk IF and they are beautiful and excellent optically and mechanically. I had a little "blip" with a wobble I had in the mounting system, but after a small headache, i was just the center shaft needed to be tightened up half a turn and a few set screws had to be set. Optically though, they are beautiful. The 25x is nice as is the field of view.

I'm actually interested in trying out a 28x 110 soon, just because I like the big stuff and have the tripod for it.

But you should get what you want and if the 28x is the ones you want, you wont be happy with the lower power ones.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you get and how they perform.What mount are you going to use them on?

...Ralph

#24 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Charles changed his mind and ordered the Garrett 100mm F/5.3 45º Bino/Telescope.

#25 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Charles changed his mind and ordered the Garrett 100mm F/5.3 45º Bino/Telescope.

That is the one I want too...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics