• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

(SPOT THE STATION)
"
Time: Wed Feb 27 6:21 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 73 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: SE
"

These values should be fairly approximate for most of the L.A. area..

Last night was quite nice, and this one ought to be even more of a doozy, the figures say! More tomorrow as well.. my gear is all ready and waiting :grin:

#2 Jay

Jay

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I saw your post at 6:19 and went out to look and caught the fly over just in time. Nice view from the Mission Viejo area.

#3 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I went out from kitchen with camera and got a shot.
400mm at f/5.6, 0.4 second exposure.

It was so bright. I enjoyed it while I was preparing for dinner :)

Posted Image

Tammy

#4 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Nice view from Long Beach, California too. No clouds.

#5 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

That was amazing! Thank you for posting that. I went out with the kids after dinner and we tracked it all the way across the sky. We all had binoculars, but it was so bright and clear we didn't really need them - although the image through the binoculars had more of a shape to it.

After that we hung around outside looking at this and that.

#6 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

:rockon:I love it! Soon after I had taken out my gear, it dawned on me that the word must be spread. I almost forgot about it, and without the reminder email I got in time I would have been too preoccupied to remember. (Need to set alarms next time :thinking:) But no worries, for there will be many many more orbits in store for all of us up ahead!
LONG LIVE THE ISS. LONG LIVE SPACE EXPLORATION BY HUMANKIND :bow:

Get ready for the next observable opportunities ...
http://spaceflight.n...i?country=Un...

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

http://www.heavens-above.com/

#7 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Meade OPT 2010 Christmas special 12x60 (same as the recent weekly special from the Meade store apparently) posing on top of my new Telegizmos 365 cover for various small scopes I have.

Attached Files

#8 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Why yes that IS my brand-spankin' new Smart Astronomy Sterling 25mm Plossl in the focuser of my 80mm 350mm focal length chubby-baby achro-frac (and veritably, the ISS proved to be not-too-difficult to track at 14x here (lost her a couple of times but quickly regained sight!) on my AZ4 mount, and showed itself to be a delightfully colorful rainbow of an orbiter all the while ;) ... there were a couple of seconds where I could even just make out the panels.. the rest of the time it was a swift elongated little multi-hued blob - clearly more than just a point! Like some sort of a strange sentinel-disk of sorts, watching faithfully over its beloved home planet.

(the tape residue I have yet to clean off on the scope and finder is from when I attached solar film filter cells to each, I like adding tape for extra security and peace of mind when white light solar peeking :p)

Attached Files

#9 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Cloudy and Rainy here in the Northeastern part of the U.S., in RI. :( :(

#10 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Good flyover from metro Phoenix last night. Here are 20 frames out of 12,000 taken in 200 seconds. I had the exposure on the webcam set to 1/2000s to avoid image smearing, which resulted in underexposure and noise. The scope was a 10" with a 2x Barlow operating at 2800mm of focal length.

Animated GIF of ISS Pass -- 2/27/13

Tom

#11 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Cool GIF! It's been cloudy here in MA for over a week. I'm signed up with NASA for alerts when the ISS will pass over, so I'll get my chance eventually.

#12 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Of all the times I've seen it go overhead, I've only twice managed to get a reasonable focus on it as manually tracked it with my dob at a 100+ power mag. The first time I managed to catch it just after I focused on a lunar crater, and as I panned over to the ISS as it traversed, the panels were visible :bigshock: Perhaps I should just stop trying to capture a killer closeup again and stick with binoculars- or practice fast panning and focus on airliners as they pass in daylight.
-----
Dave

#13 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I am glad that you guys on the west coast got a good view of the ISS. Now that you're hooked on satellites you know there are a few thousand other ones up there worth watching as well.

obin ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics