• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

I thought I would pass along the good news that the Omni XLT 150 (6" f/5 reflector) now comes standard with a 2" crayford focuser! I had read on CN in the past about the lack of this configuration on the market and I lamented over the cheap, plastic 1.25" focuser on my own Starblast 6 before I sold it off. Woodland Hills has been selling the OTA at an amazing price (first reported by Locoman) but I don't think anyone knew about the 2" crayford focuser being standard. Even Woodland Hills' own listing says 1.25" rack and pinion focuser and the main picture shows the old rack and pinion job, so I called them up to discuss. I spoke with Kevin Legore and he said that they need to update the listing as Celestron quietly started shipping these with the new focusers and they didn't even find out until they set one up in store for a customer. And if you want to upgrade it to a Moonlite or a 2 speed focuser, it would basically be a drop-in (with the proper curved base plate), no more cutting a bigger hole in the OTA.

I am pretty excited to have this decent aperture wide field grab'n'go setup. The Pan 35 yields a 3.0* TFOV and if that's too much exit pupil for you, the 22T4 gives you a 2.4* TFOV iwth a 4.4mm exit pupil. :jump:

Attached Files

#2 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: You can't see me...

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Thats a great size scope. why would they put a 2in focuser to begin with... :foreheadslap:

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

:goodjob:

Finally they are doing it right...

Jon

#4 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Kansas

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I called them to see if they had them in stock and I was told they were. I ordered it but after five days and not receiving any notice of shipment I emailed them about it and received a reply that they didn't have them in stock after all so they put in an order for them to fill my order. A 2" crayford focuser would be a bonus but looking at your picture it doesn't look like a crayford style focuser. It looks like a 2" R&P focuser with nice focusing knobs! Am I wrong? :question: Even if it is a 2" R&P focuser it would not be a problem for me because I know know how to make them work smoothly with no slop! Looking at the pictures at Woodland Hills it looks like a 2" focuser but I wasn't sure. And thanks for posting and your picture with it!

#5 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I called them to see if they had them in stock and I was told they were. I ordered it but after five days and not receiving any notice of shipment I emailed them about it and received a reply that they didn't have them in stock after all so they put in an order for them to fill my order. A 2" crayford focuser would be a bonus but looking at your picture it doesn't look like a crayford style focuser. It looks like a 2" R&P focuser with nice focusing knobs! Am I wrong? :question: Even if it is a 2" R&P focuser it would not be a problem for me because I know know how to make them work smoothly with no slop! Looking at the pictures at Woodland Hills it looks like a 2" focuser but I wasn't sure. And thanks for posting and your picture with it!

Locoman, the focuser is a true Crayford, same as the ones on other Synta scopes that came with one such as my Orion XT8i Intelliscope. Here the focuser is shown with the GSO 2x ED barlow minus the barlow as an extension tube with compression rings. Gotta love the versatility and usefulness of that barlow!

Attached Files

#6 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Compare that focuser with the old 1.25" rack and pinion focuser with big focus wheels, see the picture below taken from CN'er fuadramsey's archived thread.

Attached Files

#7 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • Loc: California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Locoman,

I am sorry you were not informed sooner about them being out of stock at that time. These little guys sell fast but are a a regular stock item. A few more arrived yesterday, I believe 4 of them if Im not mistaken.

#8 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Very Cool. I really like this size scope-- Perfect sweet spot for grab and go, relatively little coma, and works well for nearly all targets, as long as the figure is good. Mine is an old Vixen with a 1.25" sled focuser and a atm primary. I really wish it had a 2" focuser.

What size is the secondary? The description says something about a 1.25" STAR DIAGONAL. Normally the term "star diagonal" would refer to a diagonal mirror in a refractor or cat, so I'm not sure...

#9 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

The description says something about a 1.25" STAR DIAGONAL. Normally the term "star diagonal" would refer to a diagonal mirror in a refractor or cat, so I'm not sure...

I think it's an error. The secondary is about 2" minor axis.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#10 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

BTW, it's a little bit of a mystery to me that scopes like this seems to have been unavalable in the states until now. I thought they were common. They've been readily available here in Europe for some years now.

http://www.teleskop-...-6--F-5-Newt...

http://www.teleskop-...SO-6--Imagin...

http://www.teleskop-...S-6--F-5-New...

http://www.teleskop-...rion-UK-6--F...

http://www.teleskop-...ion-UK-VX6-6...

http://www.teleskop-...kywatcher-Ex...

Take your pick. f/ratios between f/4 and f/11! Single speed or dual speed crayfords.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#11 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

130mm f/5 version with 2" 1:10 crayford also available:

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#12 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thomas, I guess we were due! The last 6" f/5 with a 2" focuser in the US I think was a SkyWatcher that they were blowing out a few years ago. IIRC, the focuser may not have been a crayford and the figures on the mirrors were not so great, so not quite the quality of the Omni.

I do like those SW reflectors with the two-speed focusers, that you linked to, they look pretty nice.

#13 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

We Europeans used to look with envy at the US and all the nice gear that was available and anything new seemed to be introduced there first and would only later eventually trickle down to us in Europe. Now it seems to be the other way round and we get to see much of the fun stuff first. The selection available here is certainly impressive.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#14 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

[quote name="Starman81"]Compare that focuser with the old 1.25" rack and pinion focuser with big focus wheels, see the picture below taken from CN'er fuadramsey's

Great, your pics convinced me!. An even better deal than I thought. I have the GSO 2" barlow like yours. Thanks again for the more detailed pics and clarification. Hope mine ships soon! :jump:

#15 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Locoman,

I am sorry you were not informed sooner about them being out of stock at that time. These little guys sell fast but are a a regular stock item. A few more arrived yesterday, I believe 4 of them if Im not mistaken.

No problem, I appreciate your posting about them and I wasn't trying to degrade your company in any way about my order with you. I understand these things just happen and I'm not concerned. You have great products with competitive prices. I have purchased other items from you before with no problems and will probably will again! Thank you!
Doug

#16 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

At the Woodland Hills page, the ad copy states:

"A 750mm focal length and focal ratio of f/5 presents an image ideal for both visual and astrophotography use . This baby also comes with a 1.25" star diagonal, 1.25" rack and pinion focuser, and high quality Celestron 25 mm Plossl eyepiece. The finderscope is a straight-thru 6 X 30mm achromat."

On the specification table, it says the focuser is "helical"

?!?

#17 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • Loc: California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I will have that fixed, it is indeed a Crayford focuser as the pictures above show.

#18 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I had the original one for a while, nice performer,now its even better,DA.

#19 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

ordered one today!

#20 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

I just ordered one! Can't beat that price for a 6" scope with a 2" focuser. Gonna make it my new grab and go on an LXD75 that I have lying around. :jump:

#21 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: You can't see me...

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Can't beat that price for a 6" scope with a 2" focuser.

well my SW 130/615 was $60,

Posted Image

and it's almost parabolic... :lol:

Posted Image

#22 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

What a great price, hard to beat $60 for a real telescope. That is 50 times less expensive than a 130mm refractor, is it 50 times less useful? lol

Later,
Tony

#23 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wow! One nice thing about a scope this size: you can even just put it in your lap and scan the skies with a wide-field eyepiece. A friend has one of the ES MakNewts mounted as a ‘finder’ on his 22-inch Dob.

If I didn’t already have my ATM 6” F/5 with a moonlight focuser, I’d order one of these. My scope was built around an old commercial mirror set that was not very good. OWL re-figured it for me for a reasonable price with a very short turn-around. However, I bet I have a lot more than $190 invested.

#24 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Is the 6 X 30 straight through finder correct image or mirror image?

Thanks.

#25 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Did not get it yet. Ordered it yesterday. Will get back to you when I receive it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics