Photo

Filter wheel large enough for LRGB, &narrowband

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie R

Eddie R

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

I purchased an Orion Parsec 8300m with the Nautilus filter wheel along with LRGB filters. I've recently purchased a Baader Narrowband set and would like all my filters in the same wheel if possible.
My question is, Are most filter wheels interchangeable with CCD cameras? I'd like to find a 7 or 8 slot for 2" filters so I don't have to remove my camera from the scope to exchange filter wheels. Any suggestions?

#2 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yes, but you will most likely need adapters. FLI makes a nice filter wheel and so does Apogee.

#3 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Fli will probably be your only choice for 2" 7-8 position.

An 8300 only needs 36mm filters.. Then your choice opens up to most brands since 36mm comes in 7 or more slots.

#4 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Good point Dave on the 36mm spec. lots of choices come into play. The Starlight Xpress is one of my favorites.

#5 Inverted

Inverted

Mariner 2

• Loc: LP Land

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I've been looking into this, but the reality is NB is so time consuming I never have time to use more than 1 nb filter per night. 3 hours or so, at a reasonable altitude for imaging, is about all I can expect from a target on a given night and 3 hours of NB exposure really isn't a lot. So, I decided to pass on a bigger filter wheel. I guess if you really wanted though, withe the Nautilus wheels on clearance, you could buy a second one, just for NB and still spend less combined than you would on a larger 36mm or 2" filterwheel. I thought about doing something like that, but really if I want to shoot NB for a night, it's easy enough to just thread one on the nose cone for the night, so still undecided if worth bothering.

#6 Eddie R

Eddie R

Vostok 1

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thanks guys,
I was looking at the FLI models. I also found that most of the 7 or 8 slot wheels use 36mm filters. I just purchased a full set of Baader 2" filters :foreheadslap:
I thought about buying another Nautilus Filter wheel to store them in and swap out with the other. Ideally they would run in tandem and each would have an empty slot to allow for an unobstructed path for the filter. That would work great if only I had one 5-position for LRGB, and the 4-position for Ha,Oiii,Sii. That way I could assign the empty slot on one wheel while imaging through the other; if such a thing could be done.

#7 Tandum

Tandum

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I have an SX wheel with LRGB 2" mounted in one carousel and 3 x NB unmounted in another and swap em. You can set each up in maxim and swap using file/configurations which makes swapping carousels a no brainer. I'm now waiting to see what the new qhy wheel looks like when it arrives. It is going to run 2 carousels at once so that's a lot of filters but it might chew up backfocus?

#8 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

FLI 7 postion wheel uses 2" unmounted filters.
Blueman

Thanks guys,
I was looking at the FLI models. I also found that most of the 7 or 8 slot wheels use 36mm filters. I just purchased a full set of Baader 2" filters :foreheadslap:
I thought about buying another Nautilus Filter wheel to store them in and swap out with the other. Ideally they would run in tandem and each would have an empty slot to allow for an unobstructed path for the filter. That would work great if only I had one 5-position for LRGB, and the 4-position for Ha,Oiii,Sii. That way I could assign the empty slot on one wheel while imaging through the other; if such a thing could be done.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics