Okie Tex registration is open

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

For devotees or first timers, registration for the 2013 Okie Tex Star Party is now open:

http://www.okie-tex.com/

Dates this year are 9-28 through 10-6. This is the 30th anniversary Okie Tex and should be spectacular.

#2 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

2013 is a long shot for me but Okie-Tex might fit in with other trip this year or next year...

How has Okie Tex worked out for any *late-arriving* attendees who came for say 3 ro 4 nights, mid to late in the party:

-- for middle weekdays only;

-- or arrive mid-week and stay thru 2nd weekend.

Tent camping would be our plan.

Interesting area! I wouldn't have considered w/o checking map to see this is a little closer, and higher elevation, than I imagined - it's really Okie-Tex-NewMex

Thanks

#3 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hey Jay. Okie-Tex is a great star party, and I go every year and stay for the entire week. They have good attendance, but it's never so crowded that you can't get a decent camp site, no matter when you arrive. There are going to be a lot of folks who arrive the first weekend and leave mid-week, so if you arrive around that time, you'll be able to find a camp site.

#4 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

Like TSP, this is a good star party if you arrive late and stay only midweek. This star party is generally a laid-back atmosphere, much moreso than TSP. Good food served by the Cimmaron Heritage Museum folks. Remember, the meals and the Okie-Tex attendance billing is separate. You are billed for the days/nights you want to attend and for each meal reserved. Enjoy!

I am looking forward to this event, if my feet pain problem subsides some.

Joe

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Signed up today. It will be my 7th in a row. I'll be giving a couple of presentations this year, too!

Looking forward to it.

Dave

#6 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Thanks av8or, Joe and Dave. Either 13 or 14 I'll make it to Okie-Tex!

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

This one is on my short list.

#8 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

You need to go Preston. You'd have a lot of fun.

#9 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Signed up this weekend for my third one. Last year the weather was a bit warm and windy. Hoping for a bit cooler this year with the later start date.

#10 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I understand that the OKC Astronomy Club is upgrading the Okie-Tex observing field wi-fi system this year with new gear that works on 4G.

#11 Phillip Easton

Phillip Easton

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hoping to make it this year as I have heard good things about it. It would be my first major star party. :)

#12 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

I am thinking about it. I've been to TSP a few times but I want to go on an observing trip to the SW USA this Fall and Okie-Tex sounds like a good option.

#13 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I really enjoyed 2011 and would like to come back. But I also have enjoyed Peach State Star Gaze and it is about 1/3rd the distance. That saves fuel money, and gives me an extra night to image.

Can't go wrong with either.

#14 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Don't want to scare anyone off, but my wife and I signed up yesterday; we haven't been before.

How are the meals by Jody's Catering? What does breakfast "buffet and juice" mean? Full American or not-so-full "Continental"?

The Hermit

#15 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hermit, Jody caters three meals a day, each day of the star party. Breakfast buffet consists of scrambled eggs, breakfast casserole, sausage, bacon, bisquits, toast, fried potatoes, hashbrowns, that sort of thing. It'll change a little from day to day. they'll also have coffee and tea, along with juice. Jody does a great job with the meals. I always buy them, and they're are very good. Seconds are served free if they are available after everyone has been served. Buying the meals is so much easier than taking your own food with you.

They'll also have a thing called the Cosmic Cafe that's open each night until 3:00am, where you can get burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, chips, left overs, coffee, tea, soda, and candy bars.

On the last Saturday evening, there is a cowboy catering outfit that comes in and serves a great barbecue brisket dinner.

It would be a very good idea to pre-purchase your meals. If you wait until you get there, they'll be more expensive, and you may or may not be able to get one, depending on how much they have.

Hope to see you there!

#16 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Faith, I've no doubt that you will thoroughly enjoy OkieTex. Dark, Dark skies, friendly people, good food, comfortable dormitories and plenty of scopes of all classes and sizes from which to borrow some photons....

....assuming you won't be bringing your Dob from England......

Dave

#17 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Dave, but I might have to take a rain-check on it this time after all. Not least I've remembered my car's annual inspection is due soon and I don't know what repairs it may need so I have to wait before I can make any travel plans. Next year maybe...

#18 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, okieav8r! Will you be flying in? We'll sign up for breakfast and lunch. We like to have our own happy hour under our canopy (visitors welcome), and we'll hit the late-night place if we need a food break from observing.

For those who have been before: we see it's at decent altitude, but are worried about daytime heat (we'll be camping in a tent trailer thing, no A/C). What are the temps likely to be like? The prospect of shade looks kinda sketchy...

Lee

#19 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Daytime temps get warm, usually into the mid to high 80's, sometimes into the low 90's. But it's dry and there's usually a breeze. I have a pop-up camper that I take, and it stays comfortable if the flaps are open so that the breeze can come through. I don't think you'll have any issues with the daytime temps.

I do recommend planning on dressing warmly at night though. It isn't unheard of for temps to get down into the 30's and 40's at night. Night time temps in the 50's and 60's are more common. It's shorts and t-shirts during the day, but it rarely stays that way through the night.

#20 Coy

Coy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, Louisiana

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Count me in. Just registered. Last year was my first Okie Tex. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

#21 David L

David L

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lee County Iowa

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Someone needs to bring a wind-powered generator... Me, I am planning on bringing a bass guitar... :p Haven't yet registered, but am going to.

#22 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm seriously thinking about coming this year. My two sons like to camp, so they would come with me. How do you go about getting a camp site? Is it first come, first serve? We could only stay the first weekend, as my sons have to go back to work during the week. I've never been to a star party, so this is all new to me. Are there any activities during the day, like hiking, etc? My sons (28 and 30 years old) aren't too interested in stargazing, so I need to consider their interests too.

#23 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi Carol. Yep, first come, first served. Just find a suitable open spot and stake your claim!

#24 Phillip Easton

Phillip Easton

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Carol,

There are a number of places to go hiking in the area

http://www.okie-tex.com/black_mesa.php

Some pics of the site and area
http://www.okcastroc...opic.php?t=2654

Cheers!

#25 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Carol, the Black Mesa hike is a great daytime activity. Myself and my wife did it in 2009. Just be aware that it is a 8.2 mile hike. One hill that requires a bit of extra effort. Hope you and your sons can make it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics