Photo

Is there a trick for mounting in alt-az?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I got my Atlas Pro yesterday, and it seems great at first, but my biggest problem was in finding a convenient way to mount my C11 Edge to the dovetail in alt-az mode. The problem is, gravity is working against me to pull the scope out of the mount (sideways). This makes it hard to get in the mount and hard to slide back and forth to get a good balance. Is there a trick to this?

Attached Files

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IwVg1M6bURI

-Dan

#3 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Tell the truth Lee, you just wanted to post that gorgeous picture one more time. :grin:

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Make sure you put some marks or tape on the dovetail so you know exactly where it balances for future reference. That saves me a lot of time during setup.

#5 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't had trouble putting it together. In reality, just attaching the scope wasn't hard, it was adjusting it. Loosening the clamps didn't free it up to slide and in this mode there's no way to take the side load off the saddle without turning it up or down thus making me hold the weight in a precise position with one hand while using the other to tighten the clamp. In GEM mode, this isn't a problem which is why the video (I had seen the whole series before) didn't help.

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'm not familiar with the mount at all but can you set it up initially in the GEM mode and balance it and then just change the mount over to Alt/Az? May be a really dumb question but thought I'd ask.

#7 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm not familiar with the mount at all but can you set it up initially in the GEM mode and balance it and then just change the mount over to Alt/Az? May be a really dumb question but thought I'd ask.

So dumb, that you've come up with exactly the same solution I've come up with as well! :roflmao: This has the advantage of making it easy to balance, and the disadvantage that I have to change mode. Fortunately, changing mode only takes a minute.

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

So dumb, that you've come up with exactly the same solution I've come up with as well! :roflmao: This has the advantage of making it easy to balance, and the disadvantage that I have to change mode. Fortunately, changing mode only takes a minute.

Dumb minds think alike! ;)

#9 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Isn't that altitude crank on this AZ-EQ6 nice? So much nicer than the EQ6.

#10 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

I worked this out. I mount the scope pointing down holding the handle and then turn it horizontal. If it's out of balance, I loosen it slightly and tilt it to about a 30ยบ angle in the direction I want it to slide and just gently tap it with my palm while holding it with the other arm just in case.

#11 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

Wow, I like to think I keep up with things, but I had no idea this mount even existed!

#12 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Wow, I like to think I keep up with things, but I had no idea this mount even existed!

This mount is what allowed me to upgrade. I was so enamored with the ability of my ETX to be in alt-as or eq, I didn't want to give that up. The LX80 was my first choice, but it didn't seem to work out that well mechanically. I was willing to pay more to get something that worked well, and this one sure seems to. The tracking in alt-az was quite impressive. I'll try eq sooner or later, but we're getting a foot of snow starting tomorrow so I'm not sure when that will be. Others have done eq+guiding to great success so I doubt there will be any trouble.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics