Photo

This is very funny

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Take a look at this e-bay add for a 'Meade 127ED refractor', I almost fell out of my chair and spit my drink out at the same time with the laughter.

Funny Image

The add itself, lol.

I am guessing this telescope has a macro attachment to examine the lock on that door? :foreheadslap:

#2 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

These jump out at you from many TV shows. They really like to set them up as props aimed at the floor.

#3 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

These jump out at you from many TV shows. They really like to set them up as props aimed at the floor.

Ever notice how when a telescope is in the set background for a tv show or movie, it's like the cheapest department scope you could ever buy and yet the intent of the scope is usually to make the character look intelligent or wealthy :lol:

Yes, that's a lovely meade refractor, not set up to look at the moon, but good for looking when you're being mooned. :p

#4 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I should have known better when I saw the fantastic price of $400 for a 'Meade 127ED Refractor'. I was like...yay...I am gonna get me a deal! Not. Lol.

Later,
Tony

#5 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

"It's pizza time!"

:roflmao:

#6 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Ad should read "Only used once. You know how kids are, they lost interest after that first night" ....Phil

#7 pstarr

pstarr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I wouldn't get anything off e-bay even if it was free. Scam city.

#8 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

That's a little harsh. I've bought several Zeiss telescopes and accesories via eBay. So far, everything has been as promised and delivered without any issues.

But one must always be careful, of course.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#9 MDavid

MDavid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 29°N (Texas)

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I was watching some TV show (sorry I don't remember which one (it's been a couple hours)) and they had a Newt. in the background set up just like that! :stooges:

#10 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Movies and television shows are often full of artifacts that seem obviously, blunderously incorrect to viewers who are professionals or knowledgeable ameteurs in the relevant subject-matter. In some instances it's apparent to such folks that the production's directors, writers, and actors knowingly took liberties with factual accuracy in the interest of dramatic or economical storytelling. However, in many others it's apparent that the erroneous depiction is the result of the production's lack of caring or attention to detail, often on the assumption that the vast majority of the viewing audience also won't recognize or care about such inaccuracies.

QUERY: Did the producers, directors, or actors in ANY movie or television show you can think of lose a cent of revenue or any significant number of viewers because telescopes are (even obviously to us) incorrectly depicted? As opposed to because the overall story, production, acting, and effects are cumulatively so flawed or uninteresting that it's unable to draw a profitable audience? (Prometheus comes to mind in the latter category, although there wern't any telescope blunders in that movie, perhaps only because there weren't any telescope depictions).

But yes, you'd think it would be trivially easy for someone to check on how a refractor or reflector telescope should look when properly set up.

#11 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Saw that very scope in a ad for a pizza joint last night. Cracked me up it did! I used a newt-Jon's 12.5" F/4 Discovery with Paracorr-for the first time in ages. I'm happy to report I didn't use it like my refractors and cats. The newt was truly impressive with a refractor like quality for sure! David

#12 mdalton

mdalton

Explorer 1

• Loc: Farmington, Mo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

You see things like this on eBay and Craigslist all the time. I have also seen finderscopes installed backwards. And I have a bigger telescope than Sheldon Cooper.

#13 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

I got my 16" lightbridge from fleabay and its a corker , the base was fooked and the secondary was all loose , I think he thought he was conning me into buying a Lemmon , I built a new base and changed the secondary for a protostar and now it's AWSOME , I also got a 55 mm minty tv smoothie & a tv 32 mm smoothie also a tv 40 mm smoothie & a 20 mm Meade smoothie , so I like fleabay ;-).

#14 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

So.... He likes to observe the planet.... Earth.

#15 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

So.... He likes to observe the planet.... Earth.

Hey, so do I. It's the only planet that shows details to the naked eye! :cool:

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#16 gdd

gdd

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

This is one of the few Meade 127 ED refractors that went out to beta testers. Fortunately they caught the design error (not really an error, but an innovative design choice the the beta testers did not like) before the ads went out.

Gale

#17 steveyo

steveyo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ebay is not scam city, though it isn't the best market or source for astro-gear, particularly.

It is, however, a magnificent use of the world wide web. It's an incredible tool to market to a truly global audience, and a place to buy absolutely anything. I have had exactly one bad experience among thousands.

My most recent sale, a couple weeks ago, allowed me to get a price for a rare coin much closer to retail than a dealer would have paid, and allowed the buyer to pay less than a dealer's price. Everyone was happy and now I can pay for my Teeter. :grin:

#18 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I have sold, and purchased many things on E-bay without any issues. I guess I am lucky.

This thread has truly taken off, I was unsure where to post it actually, here, refractors, or general discussion.

I know one thing, I am not buying any 'refractors' from this particular E-bay seller...lol.

#19 Tony~M

Tony~M

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Maybe this was going to the International Space Station as an Earth observation telescope...lol.

#20 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Caveat emptor. Sometimes we all need a good laugh. :lol:

Ed D

#21 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

I see many ad photos for telescopes like this and not just on ebay. Everybody has the refractor syndrome.

#22 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Kinda gives real meaning to the phrase "Dumber then a doorknob..." or is the scope trying to pick the lock to escape?????

#23 pftarch

pftarch

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Here is the "Pizza Time" add referenced earlier.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WWmhk6PbUDM

Maybe it is a 5" refractor with the diagonal concealed in the tube?

#24 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

It's a new optical design- a refractler.
:whistle:

#25 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Kinda gives real meaning to the phrase "Dumber then a doorknob..." or is the scope trying to pick the lock to escape?????

I think you meant "Dumber than a doorknob" :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics