Lunt Eyepieces Optimized for Solar?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi All:

I have some pretty outstanding eyepieces that I use with my Tec 160FL and that I will be able to use with my Lunt scope. I see that Lunt sells eyepieces that are "optimized at the 656nm wavelength." I know some like the Lunt Zoom and many use and prefer the Baader Zoom. Lunt states "the coatings are also optimized at 656nm in order reduce back reflections when used for Hydrogen-alpha observing." Has anyone compared eyepieces and does anyone notice if the Lunt eyepieces are better than other eyepieces in this regard. Are they better for solar in any other ways?

Thanks, Kent

http://luntsolarsyst.../lunt-eyepieces

#2 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Your "pretty outstanding" eyepieces will be outstanding in your Lunt as well, I promise.

While I've not used Lunt's "optimized" eyepieces, I have used the optimized Coronado versions; they are good, of course, but no better than the quality Lunar/planetary eyepieces I already had.

Sure, if you're just getting into Solar and don't have any eyepieces alrady, you might as well do your "one stop shopping" with Lunt....but you're already sitting pretty, eyepiece-wise. You'll see.

My rule of thumb--if you like an eyepiece for Lunar/planetary in a small scope, you'll like it for Solar in your Lunt.

Enjoy!

Jim

#3 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks very much Jim. I figured as much especially because so many seem to prefer the Baader Zoom over the Lunt although the Lunt is a great value. In my reading, no one ever mentioned about the Lunt being better optimized for solar in any way. Thanks again, Kent

#4 Perigny270

Perigny270

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I cannot fault the 10mm that came with my Lunt 35Ha. I really like my ES 6.7mm 82*: it has a little bigger disc and a little more detail. And the ES 4.7mm does a pretty nice job too.

#5 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I think a zoom is the way to go be it Lunt, Baader, or Leica.

#6 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think a zoom is the way to go be it Lunt, Baader, or Leica.

I agree that will make viewing convenient. I have 2 Leica ASPH Zooms to use in a binoviewer.

#7 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

When I inquired about the Lunt eyepieces, a certain famous character with Lunt recommended I use Explore Scientific eyepieces instead. There is a chance he didn't feel like selling eyepieces that day and was just very convincingly pulling my leg, but if so, I have no idea why.

#8 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Before you go splashing the cash just try out your existing eyepeices first... You may well be surprised they are outstanding with a Ha setup too...

#9 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Mark. I have enough eyepieces right now and I wouldn't buy the Lunt unless everyone was saying they made an amazing difference with solar views over other EPs. It appears they don't. I do have the Lunt Zoom that came with the LS80 so I can try that but will it be better than my Leica ASPH Zoom? It appears not. Though the range is a little larger on the Lunt. I'll have to check that out.

#10 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

One vote for the ASPH zoom, or two votes if in a binoviewer

#11 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Are they better for solar in any other ways?

Are the views differently than with the Lunt zoom EP for solar Ha observing?

I think that the Baader 2-24 zoom is a bit better than the Lunt zoom!

Can I do something with my Ethos EP's in the blocking filter for solar Ha viewing ?

#12 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have both a baader zoom and the lunt zoom and they seem pretty similar to me. the lunt is much smaller and lighter so I think I prefer it only because I'm pushing my mount to it's weight limits with the heavier Baader on there.

Jim

#13 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Can I do something with my Ethos EP's in the blocking filter for solar Ha viewing ?

Yes. You can purchase a T thread to 2" eyepiece holder. I like the ones Lunt sells. Just unscrew the supplied T thread to 1.25" eyepiece holder and thread in the 2" version.

#14 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

So does anyone use their Ethos eyepieces in their Lunt? If so, how well does it work?

#15 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

:waytogo:

Bill

Attached Files

#16 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

I have a Lunt 60mm solar scope. I started by using my Delos 12 and 10mm eyepieces. I found some members of the public had trouble with eye placement. I bought the Lunt zoom and had better success with most members of the public. I still prefer using the Delos 10mm when on my own but the Lunt zoom does a good job.

#17 zenman0

zenman0

Explorer 1

• Loc: Vermont and Utah

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Kent, how did the Lunt zoom compare to the Leica ASPH?

Also, how are the to Leica ASPH zooms working out for you in binoviewing mode? And in which binoviewer?

Thanks,
Dan

#18 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hi Dan,

I may have only tested the Lunt zoom once. In fact, I almost always binoview with my solar scope. I have tried mono every once in a while to test things but I never liked it compared to binoviewing. So I can't tell you how I liked the Lunt zoom or how it compares to the Leica because I sold it along with my LS80. But I do recall it did the job and was convenient to use with a large range of magnifications.

I can tell you that I really like the Leica ASPH Zoom but I just don't use it with my solar scope LS152 now. I use it a lot with my Tec180FL.

I still have 2 Leica ASPH for my Mark V binoviewer and the view is really fine but I also have other pairs and I enjoy them more. My IPD is 65mm I believe so large enough to use them, but after a while my nose gets a little uncomfortable so I enjoy my Delos pairs and Pentax XW and Panoptic pairs more. I also didn't like trying to match the powers of the 2 zooms. I know some don't mind and say it is easy but for me anything not on one of the indicators took a while to get right and I always wondered if they were exactly matched. Still I might use them from time to time again.

Kent

#19 Max Power

Max Power

Explorer 1

• Loc: southern new mexico

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thought the Cemax golds were a little better than regulars in the PST 40.

Kinda like the difference between a common ortho vs. Delos.

Enough  to justify having a separate solar set.

Never did try Cemax'es on the stars.

#20 bill1234

bill1234

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

I havee both Lunt and Baader zooms and like the Baader better only do to the wider field of view.

Now I only use them for outreach. For personal use I like a Nagler with an eyeguard added. I find no advantage to using Lunt eyepieces.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics