Links to YouTube videos..iOptron ZEQ25

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread with links to my YouTube videos.

Part One: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Part Two: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ey50RMnwEj4

Happy viewing, caution, videos contain graphic images of me, parental discretion is advised ;)

Paul

#2 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Excellent review and videos Paul!

#3 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks so much..that was my screen premier. Can't wait for the Oscars now...lol.

Best,

Paul

#4 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks so much..that was my screen premier. Can't wait for the Oscars now...lol.

Best,

Paul

If I could vote for the Oscars, you'd have my vote. :lol:

#5 Ricky

Ricky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nor Cal

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Im really impressed with the free flowing movement of the dec and ra...looks like balancing is a breeze.

#6 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'm really impressed too Ricky..the first time I moved the mount in RA and DEC, I had to do it again just to make sure I was seeing it right.

There are no traditional clamp locks, so there is NO drag whatsoever in the RA and DEC axes. I had the RA so finely balanced at one point, that when I released the OTA, it just swung back and forth like a pendulum for about a minute.

Clear skies,

Paul

#7 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Nice vids! Thanks for the review.

-Dna

#8 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the videos!

Jay

#9 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

great videos Paul. was wondering if you had any larger scopes that you plan on using with this mount?

John

#10 Darrenlh

Darrenlh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the video. You did mention play on the declination axis in video number one. Did you adjust this at all later on? I don't remember you mentioning it. I am on the verge of buying a smaller mount for travel this year, and this one is on my radar, along with the Celestron VX.

#11 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi Paul,

Excellent videos! Would love to see one for the SmartEQ Pro!

Best,

George

#12 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi Paul,

Excellent videos! Would love to see one for the SmartEQ Pro!

Best,

George

Hi George, thanks. I'll see what I can do regarding that mount also.

Clear skies amigo,

Paul

#13 Wembley2000

Wembley2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hello Paul, do they use the same style planetary gear boxes as the ieq45? Those caused me quite a bit of high order pe and dec backlash in my ieq45.

#14 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hello Paul, do they use the same style planetary gear boxes as the ieq45? Those caused me quite a bit of high order pe and dec backlash in my ieq45.

I'm not sure, but I think the gear boxes are quite similar to the iEQ30. Much smaller than the iEQ45 set.

I haven't run into any PE issues, but I've only had about 2 hours of clear sky since I received the mount..

Once the skys stay clear long enough, I want to see how low I can get the PE value and try PEC training as well. Big list of to-do's...not enough clear nights.

Re the iEQ45, high DEC backlash is usually caused by an incorrectly adjusted hinge set (too much side to side play). The other thing that can cause that issue is a DEC worm that has excessive side to side play as well. Both can be corrected with a minimal amount of dis-assembly if those causes are present.

Cheers,

Paul

#15 gramaglia

gramaglia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

First of all thank you for providing the videos. What do you think is the practical max load for astrophotography on this new mount? I'm looking to buy a new mount for AP that will not need a subscription to a chiropractor; therefore, no CGEM atlas types and was leaning towards the new celestron VX till I saw your videos on this mount. I have a couple of additional questions?
Does the Ioptron have permanent periodic error correction or does the PEC need to be redone each imaging session.
SInce you seem to be the only owner of of this new mount that posted on the forum could you provide an image you took with it along with the weight of the equipment you used. If it can track accurately with 18-20 lbs for 10 to 20 minutes subs it would an amazing good price excluding the money saved by not visiting the chiropractor!!!
Thanks,
Luca

#16 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

SInce you seem to be the only owner of of this new mount that posted on the forum could you provide an image you took with it along with the weight of the equipment you used. If it can track accurately with 18-20 lbs for 10 to 20 minutes subs it would an amazing good price excluding the money saved by not visiting the chiropractor!!!

Hi Lucas, I'm pretty sure the standard 2/3ds rule applies, so about 18-20 pounds should be cozy on the mount.

The PEC is permanent, it records the PEC, You have to turn the playback on while tracking. The mount has a record on/off menu settng.

The only image I have to date with the mount is from last night, I braved the cold and wind to get in a couple hours testing the tracking and autoguiding. Had the 90mm Stellarvue, Borg 50/SSAG, Nikon and AT2F on the mount, so probably about 12-14 pounds? I imaged M51 while I was playing with PHD and settings and did a quick process to post it up on Flickr. Found the mount can do 2 and 1/2 minute unguided without trailing and a simple polar align and One Star Align. This autoguided image is 11, four minute lights, 44 minutes, 8 darks and 8 bias, no flats.

Posted Image
M51_ZEQ25ps by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

I didn't image any longer than four minutes because there is no excellent 2-star align routine with resulting polar offset figures to dial it in perfectly. There are now 4 alignment routines, but the important one, Polar Align...using a combo of mount adjustments and HC adjustments is not working properly with the initial firmware it shipped with. And I'm not about drift aligning at all...:)

Clear skies Lucas..

Paul

#17 gramaglia

gramaglia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

Thanks Paul,
The image looks great and the tracking is also pretty damn good. I'm assuming by simple polar alignment you mean using the polar scope "clock face" with time and spacing indicated by the mount controler. The pointing accuracy for 1 star alignment seems amazingly accurate as well M51 pretty much dead center of your image. For 850$ you can't ask for anything more: accurate pointing, good tracking and very light weight mount in the 30 lbs load category.

Thanks again for the information you provided.
Luca

#18 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

The image looks great and the tracking is also pretty damn good. I'm assuming by simple polar alignment you mean using the polar scope "clock face" with time and spacing indicated by the mount controler. The pointing accuracy for 1 star alignment seems amazingly accurate as well M51 pretty much dead center of your image.

You're exactly right..just positioning Polaris in the right place on the reticle, and then doing a simple One-Star align. After the One Star align, I returned the mount to the 'zero position', and started from there, just to see if it would put the target in the FOV of the camera/scope. (2.25 x 1.6 degrees)

Clear skies,

Paul

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

iOptron really tries. just wish they would make a right angle polar scope, my knees can't take being on the ground anymore. :grin:

#20 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Yeah a right angle polar scope is the way to go. Hope someone is listening.

Phil

#21 leveye

leveye

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon Coast

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

I hear ya there on the polar scope business.Great work Paul!

#22 DonBoy

DonBoy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Here's a video on how to use a webcam with your polar scope.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qdfiQ4sGPH0

Astronomy Shed also did a Youtube video tutorial using a webcam.

On the iEQ45 you will need to put a slot on the tube that fits over the polar scope eyepiece for the led light.

Don

#23 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the videos, Paul. This mount looks very promising.

#24 pippo

pippo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Paris (FR), Pantelleria (IT)

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Dear all,
do you think that the mount is the mount is also suitable for planetary/lunar/solar imaging with very long focal lengths?

According to some users, the Eq45 is not practical for high-power imaging. Indeed the Eq45 presents a non negligible backlash and large minimum-step movements that make hard to center the planet on the camera sensor for planetary imaging.

I wondering if these issues are present on the zeq25.

BTW, did anyone try to use the mount with a C8?

Thanks

Francesco

#25 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Francesco - was there a scope listed with that iEQ45 that had trouble? Maybe someone was using a scope too big for the mount? I know my iEQ30 is just fine for planetary at f/20 (best I can do with my scope).

Paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics