• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Canada_LX10

Canada_LX10

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

If you wanted to pay the setup fee...most water jet places would probably cut it. They don't care what material they cut... wood or metal...doesn't matter.

#27 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

A trick worth trying is to cut the rings with a radius arm on either a jigsaw or a router with a panel cutting bit in it - the set-up would be the same as the 'compass' you used to draw the pattern piece. If you want the edges smoother, you can sandwich the completed cuts of ply and belt-sand them.
And, as suggested above, most urban areas offer both water-jet and laser cutting services, you can usually have the stock delivered directly to the shop, so no need to haul a dozen sheets of ply on the roof of the car.......
Russ

#28 Canada_LX10

Canada_LX10

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Base ring completed. It does come apart into 2 halves so I can get it out of the basement.

Attached Files

#29 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I still would spend another 10 bucks or less and put an additional spacer between the ones you already have... Overkill .. well maybe...maybe not ... especially over time

Bob G.

#30 Canada_LX10

Canada_LX10

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Today's work...

The base ring with the extra spacer blocks (doubled the number). I just have to fasten them on this side as the battery in the cordless pooped out.

Attached Files

#31 Canada_LX10

Canada_LX10

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

More...

The main inner slit arcs are rough cut and ready for the router table. Once these are done there are two inner and much thinner slit arcs to make. Then the focus will turn the the arcs for the sides.

So far the plywood sheet tally is at two sheets. The left over piece is that curved piece (upper right) in the second photo which should make a couple of the thinner arcs. I am pleased with the wood use and scraps. The waste is very little. Spacers were made from little scrap bits I had floating around but if you had to buy a 2x4...one piece would do them all. I am keeping a cost tally and spreadsheet of materials bought/used. I will post a final tally of cost and materials when completed.

Now the construction is going to take a more vertical approach. Should start looking like dome soon!

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics