LX80 Mount

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Looking at maybe getting a Meade SCT on the LX80 mount. Does this mount still have a lot of problems that it did have when it first was released? If it still is a problem child I may have to look at a different mount. Not really happy with plastic gears as I have read here from some other owners if in fact they are plastic. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

B... I don't think there have been any fixes on the mount since it was released. I have one that I'm very happy with but have not had a chance to use it since mid December due to weather. I think that if you; 1. want an AltAz mount with GEM capabilities, 2. don't plan on doing any astrophotography, 3. don't need to mount more than 25 pounds of equipment and 4. need to keep cost at $1000 or less, the LX80 is a good option. I've been fine with visual only with 30 pounds in AltAz and a bit less than that in Polar.

There are a number of users here happy with their mounts but the members that have had problems are much more vocal.

Are you looking at the 8 or 10" SCT? The 10" OTA may be pushing the mounts capabilities.

You can get a much nicer AltAz/Polar mount for $2,500 but that wasn't an option for me and or can get nicer GEMs for under $1000. If I had $2,500 to spend or didn't want the AltAz capability I wouldn't have an LX80.

#3 hcsceo

hcsceo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Nebraska

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

If you don't care about alt/az then take a look at the AVX from celestron.

#4 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Getting something other than LX80 will be a well advised (don't think one would want to read 67 page history.... Thx

#5 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

The reported fault threads are still active without making and progress. Even Jack Huerkamp, who developed the stronger tripod hub replacement, has gotten rid of his in frustration.

-Rich

#6 brokenwave

brokenwave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I agree with Mike, for the price it is very versitile with Alt and EQ in one package. AP at under 30 seconds is possible. It is better than most of the comments here (of the 67 pages of comments only 10 are revelant), but not nearly as good as Meade wishes. I got mine for $799 which swayed me, if I had $1500 to spend I would probably look at other mounts. I am happy with mine at that price point and the time period it was purchased.

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

B... I don't think there have been any fixes on the mount since it was released. I have one that I'm very happy with but have not had a chance to use it since mid December due to weather. I think that if you; 1. want an AltAz mount with GEM capabilities, 2. don't plan on doing any astrophotography, 3. don't need to mount more than 25 pounds of equipment and 4. need to keep cost at $1000 or less, the LX80 is a good option. I've been fine with visual only with 30 pounds in AltAz and a bit less than that in Polar.

There are a number of users here happy with their mounts but the members that have had problems are much more vocal.

Are you looking at the 8 or 10" SCT? The 10" OTA may be pushing the mounts capabilities.

You can get a much nicer AltAz/Polar mount for $2,500 but that wasn't an option for me and or can get nicer GEMs for under $1000. If I had $2,500 to spend or didn't want the AltAz capability I wouldn't have an LX80.

Everything Mike said I was going to say.

I had one and I really really REALLY liked the concept but Meade probably was lied to by the manufacturer about the mounts capabilities and advertised it as being able to do more than it could. Forget polar mode. Stick with Alt/az mode. Don't put more than 25lbs of TOTAL instrument weight on it and you are golden.

#8 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I agree with Mike, for the price it is very versitile with Alt and EQ in one package. AP at under 30 seconds is possible. It is better than most of the comments here (of the 67 pages of comments only 10 are revelant), but not nearly as good as Meade wishes. I got mine for $799 which swayed me, if I had $1500 to spend I would probably look at other mounts. I am happy with mine at that price point and the time period it was purchased.

+1 Me, too.

#9 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

but Meade probably was lied to by the manufacturer about the mounts capabilities and advertised it as being able to do more than it could. Forget polar mode. Stick with Alt/az mode. Don't put more than 25lbs of TOTAL instrument weight on it and you are golden.

...lied to by the manufacturer :), what the heck the middle man is doing then?

#10 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

The new Orion Atlas that has both EQ and ALTAZ setups available looks much more promising than the LX80. Costly, but I would bet worth every penny.

#11 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm not sure what the attraction is for a dual AltAz or EQ mount. I can see the advantages of both but don't see any great benefit in being able to switch between them at a moment's notice.

While I'd choose AltAz for a purely visual mount and equatorial for an imaging mount once I was equatorially mounted it wouldn't bother me to stay that way for visual observing.

Chris

#12 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Too bad we can't get the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 for $1K instead of $2K+. It appears to be everything the LX80 is not.

#13 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Too bad we can't get the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 for $1K instead of $2K+. It appears to be everything the LX80 is not.

And too bad that the LX80 wasn't $500. It would have been a great buy for that amount as long as the legs didn't break...

#14 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

I'm not sure what the attraction is for a dual AltAz or EQ mount. I can see the advantages of both but don't see any great benefit in being able to switch between them at a moment's notice.

While I'd choose AltAz for a purely visual mount and equatorial for an imaging mount once I was equatorially mounted it wouldn't bother me to stay that way for visual observing.

Chris

I wanted the dual configuration options not to switch at a moments notice but to set up differently at different times and wanted to avoid having 2 mounts.

#15 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

+1 for being able to switch even different scopes. I will go for the Orion Atlas even at its cost. You very seldom hear anything bad about it. Sure some may have a problem but most of the time its operator usually not understanding its operation. That has happened to me several times on different things. That said I will not worry about the LX80
mount. I do not want to invest and have it turn out down the road to have problems. Usually happens soon as the warranty is out.

#16 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Check this iOptron mount http://www.altairast...&cat=266&page=1

Don't know when it will be available in US.

Jay

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics