Stacking...alignment points

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

In the current thread on speckle interferometry...there are some comments on number of and proper placement of AP's. Rather than hijack that thread, I've started a new one. I've been thinking about this, because it's not the first time I've come across these comments.

I suspect this is a can of worms to some extent, but I'd like some discussion, as anything I can do, that's not too difficult or time consuming, that could improve my images, is a good thing!

When I first started this planetary 'obsession' at the end of last year, I was only using maybe 4 AP's. I did notice an improvement when I increased this to about double that. Maybe it was just coincidence? I have tried more, but to my eye, I didn't see any difference. This possibly dovetails into the other issue AP placement. Sometimes it's rather obvious, as in the case of the GRS or some other easily discernable feature and I've read about and can understand staying away from the edges. But many 10's of alignment points and how to place them (since I've read that manual placement is preferred) is a question to me!

Steve

#2 AlanL

AlanL

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I usually use automatic placement with 20-30 AP's. Usually manual placement doesn't give much improvement for me (maybe 'cause I don't know what I'm doing!).

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Well Steve, that "other thread" had comments by Emil who is the author of AS!2 and imo you can't go past "the horse's mouth" - apologies here Emil...I have no idea whether you resemble a horse...and they are fine, intelligent creatures even if you do! :lol:

Seriously, Emil makes the relevant points and in his long-running "AutoStakkert" thread here in this forum you'll find plenty of additional info to give you a sound basis for your own MAPs setting up... :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics