Need help with Denkmeier Big Easy!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bow shock

Bow shock

Sputnik

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi all,

I have a Denkmeier Big Easy, and have enjoyed it immensely on my Newtonian.

Since then, I have gotten a William Optics FLT 110 refractor. I've tried all sorts of configurations, but can't seem to reach focus. I really want to! One issue: I can't put any binoviewer parts (OCS for the Denks) on the scope side of the diagonal, as I only have a 2" diagonal. But I've read you don't need to.

I really don't want to try viewing straight through, as I like my neck and want it to keep working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

You definitely need to use the OCS. I don't understand why you cannot screw the OCS on to the scope side of the diagonal? The OCS is designed to do just that on a 2" diagonal.

As a matter of fact, my WO diagonal allows me to unscrew the scope side nose piece on the diagonal and then screw the OCS directly to the diagonal housing for slightly lower magnification. Then I attach another shorter (1" or so) Denk tube to the OCS to add enough length to secure into the focuser. I'm not sure what comes with the Big Easy set.

#3 Bow shock

Bow shock

Sputnik

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Rockethead, thanks for the response. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to attach the OCS on the scope side. I'll try that tonight. (I'm picturing what you're saying as scope-OCS-diagonal-bino.)

If you (or anyone) could post a picture of how it's done I might be able to understand better.

#4 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Is your OCS 2" or 1.25"?

#5 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

The OCS should just screw into the scope side of the diagonal (although it does not screw in completely. I can only do about one turn with the OCS on my Baader and my TV Everbrite, while it screw in completely in my 15 yr old TV diagonal). They had (I am not sure they still do) a low power and a high power OCS. With the low power, I could just screw it into the scope side of the diagonal and reach focus, with the high power OCS I had to put a 2 or 3 inch extension between the focuser and the diagonal with OCS on my TV Genesis-SDF.

Attached Files

#6 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just a picture of the low power OCS on the right and the high power (came unlabeled from Denkmeier) OCS on the left.

Attached Files

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Bow Shock,

Have you downloaded the Denk Manual from here ?

#8 Bow shock

Bow shock

Sputnik

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Johnny, my OCS is 1.25".

Urassner, I think I see my issue. My diagonal is a TV 2" everbrite, and the OCS is too small to screw in to it. Thanks for the photos.

Jim, thanks for the link. I am gathering from the manual and the photos above that I need to find a good 1.25" diagonal to make this work.

Thanks, all, for the info. If anyone knows a way to make this work with a 2" diagonal, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm off to the classifieds!

#9 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Johnny, my OCS is 1.25".

Ah, that explains it then.

#10 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

For a two inch diagonal in a refractor you use that tophat shaped accessory that should have some with the Big Easy. Screw the OCS into it and then screw the whole assembly into the front of the diagonal with the OCS pointed back toward the eyepiece.

#11 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Contact Russ at Denk.

#12 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

You'd be much better off getting a 2" OCS than a 1.25" diagonal.

#13 Bow shock

Bow shock

Sputnik

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Well, I don't seem to have anything that resembles a top hat in my kit. I just have the BV's themselves, the O, the C, the S, and a couple of small rings that go with them. The whole setup is 1.25" and the threads leading into the BV portion are 1.25" so it doesn't suggest that I'll be able to use a 2" OCS with it. If I get a chance, I'll post pics of my gear tomorrow, so it's clearer.

I think the suggestion of contacting Denkmeier might just be the best way to move forward.

#14 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

I've seen instances in the past where people selling Used Big Easy binoviewer packages removed the 2" flat T adapter before reselling the package. If you bought your Big Easy new, I can't explain why you didn't get that piece with your package.

edz

#15 Never2Busy4You

Never2Busy4You

Vostok 1

• Loc: Slower Lower Delaware U.S.A.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

You can get the 2" Multipurpose OCS to work with your Big Easy Binoviewer and your existing 2" diagonal.
The 2" OCS threads onto the scope side on the diagonals barrel, and then you use only the 1.25 hollow nosepiece on your binoviewer, if you don't have a 2" to 1.25" adapter for the diagonal, then you can also get a 2" hollow nosepiece as well.
Give Russ at Denkmeier a call, he'll get you set up with the right pieces.
Enjoy the views when you get it sorted out, it'll be a sweet combo! :jump:
Jeffrey G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics