CPC Deluxe firmware upgrade cables

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stanss

stanss

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered before, but I can't find the obvious answer I'm looking for on Celestron's website. I will hopefully be upgrading my venerable Meade 2120 to a CPC Deluxe HD in a month or two and I want to make sure I have the correct cable(s) to check and upgrade the hand controller's firmware when the new scope arrives. I understand the CPC Deluxe comes with an RS-232 cable, but is it just the one to connect the hand controller to the scope or is it the Celestron 93920 RS-232 to serial cable? I know if it isn't the 93920 cable, I'll also need to get a serial to USB adapter, as my computer doesn't have a serial port.

Stan

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

The RS232 cable you need has a 4 pin phone type connector on one end that fits in the base of the HC and a 9 pin connector on the other. This is NOT the same as the similar looking Meade cable, the connections are different.

I've no idea about part numbers.

My opinion is not to skimp on the USB to RS232 connector, some can be a lottery which ones work and which don't.

My experience is that FTDI and Edgeport adaptors are fine, others say the Keyspan is OK. Prolific adaptors, both the real ones and the Chinese fakes, can be unreliable.

Chris

#3 stanss

stanss

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the information and advice. The cabling and electronics for my Meade is ancient technology in comparison, I have to set it up on a superwedge everytime, with no autoalign, etc.

Stan

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Stan, The RS232 cable you get with the mount is the correct one for doing the firmware upgrades as well as controlling the mount from a PC. It is the Celestron #93920. Follow Chris's guidance on the USB-serial adapter.

I would initially not touch the firmware even if it's not the absolute latest. Get to know the mount, get comfortable with it and then have a look at the levels. I'd evaluate the revision levels by looking on www.nexstarsite.com and if it made sense only then would I consider doing the upgrade.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics