Photo

Saturn animations & 123FPS in poor seeing..!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

Didn't want to resuscitate that last thread...some of them have gone on long enough and might've started causing stress to some..! :lol:

Saturn imaging sure has for me of late (creating stress that is through tiredness, even though I love doing it!) but hopefully I'm getting back into a more relaxed state having caught up with a fair bit of sleep.....and the upcoming week might hold some promise if the weather pans out the way it is forecast atm. :fingerscrossed: :question:

For gif images I find it a bit more demanding to make sure that the moons are accurately selected to ensure a correct trajectory in animation.....and it's interesting that with Saturn so tilted now these inner moons take on a much more obvious elliptical appearance re their trajectories: here's a colour and a red channel animation over a very short period - that dark spot being much more discernable (especially in the red channel) by being animated...

Anyways, whatever else they were still worthwhile in honing my P/shop skills a bit more.

:)

Attached Files

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

...and the red channel animation. :)

Attached Files

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

...ps: the moons have had their levels elevated considerably more for these animations than I would normally use - solely because it makes them much more easy to see in an animation.....and their movement was as much the raison d'etre for these creations as the disk rotation was! :)

#4 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Mo, awesome animations! You've captured a ton of details moving in the bands. Hopefully Saturn will get another storm outbreak this year. I am amazed at the quality of the Saturn data you've been able to collect this early in the season. I went out Weds AM but the seeing and transparency were below average and my data was terrible. Excellent work and thanks for sharing it here

Regards,
Steve

#5 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Splendid!

#6 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Details in the cloud band in red animation are superb.

#7 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Very very smooth!! Do you think the new cam has less noise than the flea3?

#8 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Nicely done Darryl!

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks very much Steve, Paul, Michal, Mitchell and Stuart - I'm hoping to grab enough data over a few hours one night (wish! wish!) to create a nice long animation and this was really a test to get the moons accurate: I reckon it's best to just create the layers for the animation and then duplicates for each to select the moons on show and adjust these layers' levels.....switching layers/duplicates on & off after doing this appears the easiest & best way to make sure they're accurate, and the duplicate layers are just discarded afterwards.

I'd really like to work out from Emil's recent explanation how to create one of his "types" of animations also... :)

I'm certainly not going to claim 4/10 seeing here but it is sobering to think that this data was collected on a night of "fair" seeing at the very best (certainly no more than 6/10 absolute tops) and is really a testament to the very fast frame-rates the ASI120MM is capable of and the possible outcomes from these! :shocked: :)

Tonight/this morning (we've just packed up) wasn't any better seeing-wise but we've continued to "push the envelope" re frame-rates.....might have some results in the next 24 hours of using 123fps - a couple of the feeds and playbacks look quite interesting... :question:

Mitchell - I couldn't give an answer to your question but the camera is certainly fairly low on noise.....perhaps better than the Flea3..? :question: :confused:

#10 Tassydevil

Tassydevil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Very nice Darryl.

#11 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

super!!Darryl

why I always see some white noise in the color gif in CN.mono one is good.

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Mo, awesome animations! You've captured a ton of details moving in the bands. Hopefully Saturn will get another storm outbreak this year. I am amazed at the quality of the Saturn data you've been able to collect this early in the season. I went out Weds AM but the seeing and transparency were below average and my data was terrible. Excellent work and thanks for sharing it here
Regards,
Steve

Thanks also Graeme - hopefully you'll get some chances with Saturn also in the near future! :waytogo:

Mitchell - I was a bit tired when I replied to your question this morning after imaging.....the other thing to consider when looking at these is that there are a heck of a lot of frames in each of these 3 images - the camera's ability to capture at such high frame-rates is of course another benefit re stack-sizes regardless of whether it is actually lower in noise than the Fleas or not...

Steve, I guess this occupation is allways going to be a numbers game.....I was out last night and I think the main benefits were in further experimenting with this camera which I've been so honoured to be intimately involved with re its' development: seeing was poor and although there's a bit of promise over the next few nights you never count your chickens.....but there are 4 or 5 months of this apparition left and anyone who goes out imaging regularly should be fairly optimistic of grabbing some decent images over that duration!

Best of luck to everyone in this regard!!! :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Thanks Sam also! :)

This particular night had poor seeing.....but from being skeptical about the higher frame-rates earlier I am now totally convinced.....I used 123fps this morning, again in lousy seeing but it was a good experiment. :cool:

I'll reply to your email later today. :)

#14 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

In the post above I commented to Sam about the "lousy" seeing this morning, and I don't retract that assessment one iota. :(

But as a testament to the ASI120MM's ability to run at extremely high frame-rates now I am posting an image that would probably slip by into my archives if not for the fact that I think it demonstrates the value of this factor...

Maybe not quite 4/10 but if I give the estimate as 6/10 "absolutely tops" for the images at the start of this thread then these would've been pushing to make 5/10..!

Taking that into account I think (the ol' "imho") that this rgb outcome was pretty special all things considered.....sure it has suffered somewhat but as I said, normally it wouldn't see the light of day but as an example of the benefits of very fast fps I thought it worth showing..... :question: :)

Details: Gain=Red80 Green83 Blue100 Histogram=45% FPS=123 Exposure=8.1mS ROI/resolution=512X440 Duration=140" Frames captured=17257

Attached Files

#15 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

123 fps that's amazing!!
Did you do any compare of fast fps and high gain with low fps and low gain?
which will be better?

#16 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

Any ASIMC images on the horizon Darryl?

#17 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Any ASIMC images on the horizon Darryl?

I've decided that the best option here is to pull my venerable old C11 out of mothballs Stuart and set it up on my other mount.....just need another counterweight for that.

This way I can run the ASI120MC in tandem and if it's a good night do a bit of each - sounds a bit odd I know but tbh when the seeing's hot I don't really want to use the osc...and when it's not I don't think it's worth trying! :question: :lol:

But with a co-pilot and both setups running one of us can easily operate the colour camera which is much simpler to use and the other can run the mono.....probably when we go away in a few weeks so that it isn't any pressure to set things up because we'll stay put wherever we go for a week or two... :)

#18 Shiraz

Shiraz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

really pushing the envelope Darryl. The camera is coming up with fine results. regards ray

#19 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

really pushing the envelope Darryl. The camera is coming up with fine results. regards ray

Thanks Ray - good to see you posting here after a long absence...and I must say what a fine image you have captured too!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

...about a month ago I captured some very nice Saturns running the ASI120MM at 50fps for all channels which was somewhat unusual at the time, grabbing a big "first" for revealing Saturn's hexagonal Polar Zone and vortex which I was very chuffed about, and having been there right from the start with this camera after Sam sent me one of the very first to help bring online I have nothing but absolute admiration for how they have advance imaging parameters since.

I'm wading through 200Gb from this morning myself and looking forward to the possibility of more decent seeing tonight/tomorrow morning - if I can transfer all this data which is loading up my laptop atm..! :)

I travel through Ardrossan occasionally and have wondered where you are there - a great place for catching blueys and calamari - we used to stay at Rogues Point regularly and have very close friends down at Corny Point!

#20 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

The world awaits! ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics