Auto parking a mount?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Is there any software that will shut down or park a mount at the end of a session?

I wish to image using my dslr then have the mount park or shut down so it's impossible for it to run the scope into a position where damage may result.

I guess I could put a timer on the thing and shut the power down at a specified time but that seems a little drastic.

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Good question. One tactic that I've used when imaging into the wee hours of the morning is to make my last target so far east that the scope won't approach the meridian unless I sleep in really, really late. Some software (like EQMOD) will also let you set limits that will stop the mount before it reaches the meridian.

#3 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Sequence Generator Pro does this, as well as many other things to automate imaging (e.g. Auto meridian flip, autofocus, plate-solving, etc). The have a trial on the MainSequenceSoftware website.
...Keith

#4 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

CCD Autopilot

#5 hcsceo

hcsceo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Nebraska

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Ccd commander also works. If the mount does not support parking it does have a simulated park feature that works very well.

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

MaxPilote works as well. I'm surprised BYEOS doesn't have something like that implemented..

I believe you can send commands through ASCOM... so you could write a script to park you mount and the end of your session if you calculated when that was.

Honestly, I trust the limits in my Gemini-2. I know people have had issues in the past, but I've tested it enough :D that it seems to work every time.

#7 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

I would think that any computerized mount would have built in limits to its rotation. My CG-5 just stops driving when it hits a limit on the dec axis. These limits can be modified if I wanted to also. I fall asleep during imaging session quite often and my mount has never gone past its limits.

On top of it the software has a hibernate feature, so using NexRemote I just send the scope back to home position and go into hibernation mode.

#8 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

CCD Autopilot

I looked at that but it seems geared towards ccd cameras as do many others. Pity BYEOS does not do this.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics