10 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

---------- Edited with Updated Image ----------------

For your consideration, Orion taken on a dark night in January. I was fortunate enough to be able to execute a fine exposure revealing not only the faint Ha nebulae throughout the region, but also the blue nebulae that exists in the western portions, including the well known Witch Head nebulae NW of Rigel. I highly recommend viewing the larger image linked below.

Pentax 67 165 @ f/4.8 75 minutes exposure Kodak E200 Normal E-6 Processing
Scanned on Epson V600 imported into PS and edited and cropped slightly.

Larger Version:

https://dl.dropbox.c.../Orion_cn_2.jpg

Attached Files

#2 BenB85

BenB85

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado and Alaska USA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Wow. That is with film? Incredible detail and I can't imagine how difficult 75 min using film must be. I'm having trouble with 30 seconds on digital!

Great photo

#3 BenB85

BenB85

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado and Alaska USA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Wow. That is with film? Incredible detail and I can't imagine how difficult 75 min using film must be. I'm having trouble with 30 seconds on digital!

Great photo

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Primo. Wow!

#5 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow:

#6 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I'm pretty proud of this one and the ability of film to still produce a wow factor. Imagine a 16x20 on the wall on metallic paper ! Yea, that's where this one is headed !

The exposure is actually rather short given that the modern method stacking of many images exceeding the time it took for this unhypered, standard development film. Much has been made of reciprocity failure and often the primary excuse for not shooting film. While this may be true of most emulsions, not all. Alas, E200 is gone.

There would be another layer to dig into if the scanning was on higher end equipment, but right now that is cost prohibitive. I can only imagine what my images would be like if one day I can afford it. I will always have my originals and in that sense they will last forever, passed onto my grandchildren and in a hundred years of so brought back to life, perhaps outliving much that has been shot in this era.

I will remain a stalwart of emulsion based photography and enjoy many years to come of fine photography with a look of its own and a legacy to share one day.

#7 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Take up that offer of the drum scan on this one Jim. Then go from there. I'm thinking a lot of richness and detail is not there in the natural state from the film - so to speak. So with our so-so scanners we have to push the processing to imply the end result. Drum it Jim - drum it - please.

igor

#8 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

A better scan would redefine the image overall. It is amazing how much detail(data)is available to pull out of the original. I have found that my digital captured images need much stacking to create the same amount of information to work with and this is with longer exposure time (in the end) and with less mature color rendition. Time will tell, but while there is still film stock, I'm shooting it!

#9 OneGear

OneGear

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Wow. Very nice accomplishment.

I'm always amused by people who think photography started with the invention of digital capture. Digital is for the new-is-better/convenience crowd, not for the folks who appreciate quality. Digital has always and will always play catch-up to film photography. The beauty of film is the negatives surpass what scanners can deliver, so as digital scanning techonology matures the results from film images improves. The same cannot be said for digital stacks - they are as good as they ever will get.

But yeah, the OP's image - I love how dense the stars are on the borders. The colors are exciting and all, but to me it's just unreal how many stars show up outside the supposed area of interest.

Thank you for sharing.

#10 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thank you OneGear. There a few things that make up my commitment to the film medium. I like the results, which offer a different rendition than modern methods. Old school I guess. It was also how I cut my teeth in astrophotography long ago. Its personal in large part. I shoot them, I post them and I hope they are appreciated for what they are.

There are only a handful die hard film astrophotographers left. Not much new work being done, with many posting old images on this forum, including this work which was done in 2010. Last year was perhaps my most ambitious, shooting almost every dark run possible from March to October, both individual frames and mosaics.

It is now at the point where I do not recommend others to shooting film if they are beginning astrophotography as an endeavor. I and others here on the forum have invested the time to produce good work when the medium was favorable, but now it perhaps would not be advisable to pick up the craft.

It's different, enjoyable, and rewarding to me personally. That's enough from where I stand.

#11 ebacon

ebacon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester Hills, MI

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Gorgeous photo!

Once I cut my teeth in digital I will have to try some film. My old 35mm SLR body and T-ring are compatible.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics