Photo

Combining mono ASI and colour DFK images?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Is this a daft question but if I purchase a mono ASI cam could I combine the mono shots with my colour DFK images rather than use a filter wheel? Obviously the image scales are different but with post processing i.e in Winjupos could they be re-scaled and combined?

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I did something similar in my old DBK21 (AU) days with an iR742nM screwed on and then removed from the nosepiece to just use the cam as a colour unit, which was a very demanding routine.....but it worked because the iR gave me a good luminance at times despite being told by the "experts" at the time that it was useless (the Bayer filters "bled" quite a lot of adjacent wavelengths making it effective to a degree.)

I remember not inserting the nosepiece fully into the barlow and altering the image scale slightly which was a devil of a job to correct with the rotation that was caused also by the camera not being inserted exactly as it was beforehand.....

Also, have combined images which needed rotational adjustments - all of this to say "sure it's feasible" but it can be a lot of hard work and sometimes impossible to get the scales and rotational differential aligned, although WinJupos would sort rotation and any not-too-lengthy capture time discrepencies out.....selling the DFK and putting the money towards a secondhand filter wheel or using a cheaper manual job or those "strip" types might be a better alternative option Stuart... :question:

#3 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Darryl just mulling over my options and possibilities. I'm rather reluctant to dispense with my colour cam.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics