CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Combining mono ASI and colour DFK images?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Is this a daft question but if I purchase a mono ASI cam could I combine the mono shots with my colour DFK images rather than use a filter wheel? Obviously the image scales are different but with post processing i.e in Winjupos could they be re-scaled and combined?

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Cosmos

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I did something similar in my old DBK21 (AU) days with an iR742nM screwed on and then removed from the nosepiece to just use the cam as a colour unit, which was a very demanding routine.....but it worked because the iR gave me a good luminance at times despite being told by the "experts" at the time that it was useless (the Bayer filters "bled" quite a lot of adjacent wavelengths making it effective to a degree.)

I remember not inserting the nosepiece fully into the barlow and altering the image scale slightly which was a devil of a job to correct with the rotation that was caused also by the camera not being inserted exactly as it was beforehand.....

Also, have combined images which needed rotational adjustments - all of this to say "sure it's feasible" but it can be a lot of hard work and sometimes impossible to get the scales and rotational differential aligned, although WinJupos would sort rotation and any not-too-lengthy capture time discrepencies out.....selling the DFK and putting the money towards a secondhand filter wheel or using a cheaper manual job or those "strip" types might be a better alternative option Stuart... :question:

#3 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Darryl just mulling over my options and possibilities. I'm rather reluctant to dispense with my colour cam.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics