•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

cheap alt az mount

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: uhmm...still in 2nd grade

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I made this with the strategy of a dob az bearing.

Posted Image

I only put a couple of teflon tabs to help pivot.

Posted Image

when I made this vid the stepup ring 38-t2 was stripped so the camera was not tight against the eyepiece.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=agf9YsftLKA

this is my model

http://sketchup.goog...b616d61f0299...

visually it works well enough for me to sell my desertsky... :grin:

#2 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

cool

#3 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Very nice. :waytogo:

#4 anrran

anrran

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Nice! Do the teflon pads slide against the wood, or is there something in between the two?

#5 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

for this test I cut small pads to run against formica 909-42 crystal finish laminate and carpet taped them to the wood.

I have uhmw discs but haven't installed them yet. I have found the uhmw will be a lot stiffer, but I have a lot laying around. :grin:

Posted Image

I used the same hardware as what I do for a dob az bearing but I tighten it a lot more. it hold position very well.

#6 anrran

anrran

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the info...I was debating between getting a desert sky dsv-1 or trying to make my own friction type mount for a small refractor I have. Since I'm on a budget and have some spare wood lying around I think make one now!

#7 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Neat idea. I've been needing a mount for my ETX80. Something like that should work nice.

#8 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

if you make discs of teflon, which would spread the forces out over the entire bearing surface, keep the teflon thin, like 1/32.

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

got it painted, need a logo and a dovetail. but last night I was tracking jupiter easily at 260 mag visual.

Attached Files

#10 careysub

careysub

Vanguard

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

You can't beat the KISS principle!

I notice that you are using a threaded hole for the pivot bolt, not an unthreaded one and a thrust bearing on the opposite side like the StarBlast system.

Any comment on your experience with this arrangement?

#11 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Any comment on your experience with this arrangement?

never saw how they do it. I'm doing it kind-of-sort-of like astrosystems az pivot, and how I do my dobs. [oops I forgot to label the bronze bearing the bolt goes thru.]

not an unthreaded one and a thrust bearing on the opposite side like the StarBlast system.

so with that system you have two plates that can spin? I only need one plate to spin. My milk jug washer/steel washer acts like a thrust bearing keeping the bolt from loosening.

Right now I'm using uhmw as a slip clutch material but with the teflon it would be buttery smooth. Last night I over tightened the az bearing too much so that was very stiff to try to hand track a vid of jupiter in the eyepiece.

For regular visual viewing its no problem but to keep jupiter at high mag onto the little vid chip is very painful even if I was using teflon.

Attached Files

#12 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

here's a really bad vid shootin jupiter, remember I had the azimuth too tight, and I can't keep my hands off the focuser or the zoom of the vid camera screwed to the eyepiece.

blackbox mount tracking jupiter

its a lot easier to track with the eyepiece then the vid.

#13 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

I accidentally saw some relevant bearing construction information from RichV. He used a small roller thrust bearing where you have a milk jug washer and a steel washer.

http://www.cloudynig...Number/5708871/

That post, and its vicinity, look to be useful.

Also see the following post, and its vicinity:

http://www.cloudynig...Number/5147471/

I have not tried the small roller thrust bearing method shown, but may do so soon for a bearing about to be constructed . 3-wave spring washers from McMaster-Carr have solved similar problems for me. Sandwiched between two ordinary steel washers, a 3-wave spring washer provides a range of stable preloads on some small teflon washers for p-mount joints

Some combination of Teflon (or milk jug PE, if you must) and/or the cited roller bearing and/or a 3-wave washer
should be a satisfactory way to load the large main Teflon disc thrust bearing.

#14 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

thanks for the links, yes these are great. I like the wavey washer also. I'm more of a needle roller thrust bearing guy myself.

but yes I must use the milk jug, its simple.

but when I do this for my dob az bearings I only use a bronze bearing with a shoulder and a metal washer, I don't put a lot of "load" onto the system.

#15 Mirzam

Mirzam

Aurora

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Another option would be to get a 6" length of 6" aluminum square tubing from online metals. This would make a nice stiff support.

Aluminum mount structure

JimC

#16 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

that would be cool. and get 1/2" thk discs waterjetted for around $40. but the b.b. would does hold its own.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics