Post Count

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 mogur

mogur

Apollo

• Loc: WI

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

It is probably natural for a newbie to give more credence to those with higher post counts. Afer all, these guys are the more experienced, knowledgeable posters, right? Not necessarily. Some posters with high counts get them up with single sentence, or sometimes even single word replies! These add very little to the content of the thread and should therefore be taken at face value by those looking for real information! Sometimes a poster with a very low count can have real insight into a problem and newbies should not be too hesitant to heed such based solely on post count. This is based on some experience I've had with a problem I had with my solar scope. See the Solar forum if you're interested. A poster with a very low count had the best suggestion for me to correct my issue. Sometimes a low post count only means a recent member, or a reluctance to post, not a lack of knowledge!

#2 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Very true. Post count and/or register date are pretty meaningless. Although, I would say register date should maybe carry a little more weight than post count. There are some people who have been in the hobby for several years, but haven't been members of this forum for very long. There are also people who are relatively new to the forum and the hobby, but have a large number posts.

#3 Kfrank

Kfrank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

+1

#4 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

• Loc: East Bridgewater, MA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

+1

I see what you did there..... ;)

#5 sslcm56

sslcm56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montgomery, Al.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

+1

Does this make my post count go up too??
MAN I'm getting smarter! :)

#6 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yep. For instance, fully 3/4 of my post count can be attributed to all of the questions I ask. Lots of them were/are so dumb it makes me cringe. The other 1/4 just consisted of "just buy a 8" dob." :grin:

#7 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I rarely go by post count. Being an owner/admin of a forum I know all about post counts etc. I prefer to look here at the date of reg., equipment in signature and the persons answers.
It's very easy to get a high post count by meerly being very active on the forum, simple replies as mentioned and most of all, how long you've been on the forum.
There are many members here, as in most forums, who have low post counts but are very knowledgable. Look at me, I'm still a newb and learn more and more each day thanks to ALL the members here.
Keep in mind too that a simple one liner post is all that is needed at times, and no need to repeat what has already been said by others to answer a question.

#8 cliffy54

cliffy54

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

I see someone goin for the record he's got almost 4000 post in 9 months. He must know everything about everything. :graduate:

#9 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I see someone goin for the record he's got almost 4000 post in 9 months. He must know everything about everything. :graduate:

He just might. Then again, I'd bet he's bored at work. :p

#10 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

While I don't think post count matters much, I think wordiness matters even less. If a person can make a point in a sentence or two, why hold that against them? That's quite a skill.

In the end, it's only the quality of advice that matters.

#11 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Some posters with high counts get them up with single sentence, or sometimes even single word replies! These add very little to the content of the thread and should therefore be taken at face value by those looking for real information!

In my opinion, the quality of a post is not how many words are used, but rather or not the comment adds value to the discussion. In reverse, there are many posts where a lot of words are used and the post contributed little to the discussion. Some posts ask something like, I am considering a C8 or an Orion 8Xii. What's wrong with posting simply 'a C8'? Many posts that speak to me are the short ones--if they hit the nail on the head.

#12 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Post count doesn't matter at all. Period. I wish it wasn't there because then my wife wouldn't holler at me when she sees it. For my location the number of clear nights or days has been decreasing since 2007. Some of the nights that start out clear become useless because of contrails. So I get bored and read the forums and post here and there. One day I discovered the Off Topic Observatory and the addictive silly game threads there. Guess what happened?

Some members have slow internet connections and some have a usage cap. I just added my signature line after having it blank for quite some time due to a usage cap. My wife's business comes first and we don't need our speed choked due to frivolities. So the lack of a signature/equipment line doesn't mean anything. Avatars also eat up bandwidth. However one avatar that I did find useful was when Boot(Joseph) had a light pollution poll and my avatar said "Take the Light Pollution Poll". At that time Administrator rboe was kind enough to put a link to the poll in my signature line.

Registation date is helpful but doesn't say anything about how much more time one has been in the hobby or what equipment they have used in the past. I began in 1975 and have used my 25" since early 1989. Prior to that I had an Astroscan(1976-1990), a Coulter Odyssey I (13.1")(1981-1991), and 10x50 binoculars. I also had the original set of Televue Widefield eyepieces(except for the 15mm), a set of Edmund RKEs with Barlow, and the original Naglers 4.8, 9, 13, and type 2 20mm.

#13 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Sometimes a short reply is a matter of civility.

Dark skies.

Jack

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yup. I'd say that regardless of your post count, if you haven't been in the hobby since long before there was an Internet, you're still a relative newbie. :grin:

- Jim

#15 astro-monkey

astro-monkey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

All very true, on a VW forum I frequent I was one of the top 10 with close to 10k posts. Now I just lurk on all the forums and post once in a while.

#16 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I agree post count is irrelevant. It's what you say that counts, whether short or long. For some, it may be just the feeling of being in on the conversation. For others, it may be attempting to bring their knowledge into the discussion. Of course, the biggie for many is to ask questions and get answers or show and tell. Of course, there are a few that just like to disrupt and they're usually weeded out. Then there are the jokers.

It takes all kinds and if one is worried about post count, they probably need to find some other hobby because they are concentrating on the wrong thing. This forum is about astronomy, not competition. At least I though it was.

#17 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

It is probably natural for a newbie to give more credence to those with higher post counts. Afer all, these guys are the more experienced, knowledgeable posters, right? Not necessarily. Some posters with high counts get them up with single sentence, or sometimes even single word replies! These add very little to the content of the thread and should therefore be taken at face value by those looking for real information! Sometimes a poster with a very low count can have real insight into a problem and newbies should not be too hesitant to heed such based solely on post count. This is based on some experience I've had with a problem I had with my solar scope. See the Solar forum if you're interested. A poster with a very low count had the best suggestion for me to correct my issue. Sometimes a low post count only means a recent member, or a reluctance to post, not a lack of knowledge!

As I was reading this I was nodding my head in agreement with everything you were saying. But then I realized you don't even have 500 posts so I can't listen to you. :roflmao:

#18 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

The best way is to read the forums a lot and find out for yourselves who is credible and interesting.

One thing you can do is click on someone's user name to the left of their post. You are then taken to their profile where one of the options is to read all that user's posts. I bookmark the all-their-posts page for a number of different members who have good track records of posting interesting, credible information .

Quite often "browsing cloudy nights" for me means checking out these bookmarks to see what my favorite cloudy nights contributors have been posting.

#19 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Since I border on being banned here (I love living on the edge), don't bookmark me because you might be nailed as an accomplice.

Post count means nothing. I think join date offers some creds though. However, new join date in classifieds is a caution flag...

#20 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Since I border on being banned here (I love living on the edge), don't bookmark me because you might be nailed as an accomplice.

Yes you do don't you Phil. :ohgeeze:

#21 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

But Herb, I don't mean it! Bambi did it!

:lol:

#22 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

I just realized I have a pretty early registration date. Still not an expert by any means. but looking at posts from 6 to 8 years ago I have come a long way. I had a couple year break for kids and other things. But now I am back and poor again...

great website

#23 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Phil you bring lots of humor into the forum, and that's a good thing. Nothing worse than a dry , boring forum..lol

One of the reasons some of us newbs have high post counts/ my case anyways/ is that we get hooked and want to know more.....and so we start a lot of threads asking is this good , or better than..etc etc.
Heck I was asking about the Nexstar, then I saw the EXT...lol just so many cool things in this hobby that my/our heads spin.
Post counts, I don't look at them. I am more concerned with the questions and answers.

#24 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

"Some posts ask something like, I am considering a C8 or an Orion 8Xii. What's wrong with posting simply 'a C8'?"--GeneT

Because that's just the plain wrong answer....... :lol:

After a while, you start noticing who the smart ones are, and I've learned a lot just reading their posts....If Jon, Starman1, BillP, GeneT, (and that Al guy who names his eyepieces after his TV)...tell me something on these forums, you can pretty much take it to the bank. AND, when they don't agree on something, there's been some really good "Popcorn" fights here......

#25 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

"Some posts ask something like, I am considering a C8 or an Orion 8Xii. What's wrong with posting simply 'a C8'?"--GeneT Because that's just the plain wrong answer....... :lol: After a while, you start noticing who the smart ones are, and I've learned a lot just reading their posts....If Jon, Starman1, BillP, GeneT, (and that Al guy who names his eyepieces after his TV)...tell me something on these forums, you can pretty much take it to the bank. AND, when they don't agree on something, there's been some really good "Popcorn" fights here......

:grin: :lol: :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics