• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Then again the advise is worth exactly what you pay for it. :flirt:

#27 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

At one point there was a thread in the Offtopic forum that was meant for posting for no reason... If I remember correctly, there were a number of posts in it from people boosting their post count to the next level: member to super member.

#28 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

My post count is climbing pretty quickly mostly from asking questions!! I guess as long as I'm reading the answers then my knowledge must be going up.

#29 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

AND, when they don't agree on something, there's been some really good "Popcorn" fights here......

:lol:

When all the experts agree, be very worried. :p

#30 SteveMushynsky

SteveMushynsky

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY area (Central NY)

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

I backed into a post once.
Does that count?

I've found that forum posts in general all stand alone with respect to their 'worth'.

I appreciate all thoughtful posts and thanks to their posters.

#31 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

A lot depends on the person and what they are on a forum for.

If a bit more on a social approach then to run up posts relatively fast is simple. You keep on eye on a thread and respond several times.

If you answer a question then you could simply put your take on it and leave it at that = 1 post, or you could argue your point of view.

Can also depend on the sections in which you have an interest. If you build your own scopes then there is the possibiliuty of several threads and several posts within each getting answers and sorting out problems.

Another I have found is one person asking a question, you answer say 2-3-4 posts to get everything sorted. The person then asks another question and you are again able to answer. Have had a couple of instances of this where for 4 or 5 questions I was basically communicationg through a forum with one person on the problems they were having.

Must have added 30+ to the post count but all were to get a solution and was ultimately successful.

#32 Skooter

Skooter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: middle TN

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Successful internet use is dependent on developing a sense of what is BS and what isn't. We've all been on forums where a couple of trusted (high count) folks post their experience with an issue, then it catches like wildfire and becomes new "truth" across the worldwide web.

I'm still wondering why the factory tires on my new Honda Element lasted 50K miles and my KLR motorcycle never had "doohickey" problems. And I'm hesitant to even mention these, because if there's another KLR or Element owner on this forum, I'm about to get flamed, bigtime. :lol:

#33 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, CA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Is a Pooh-Bah really a higher status than a Sage? Being a Sage sounds pretty good but a Pooh? :shrug: :grin:

#34 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

After a while, you start noticing who the smart ones are, and I've learned a lot just reading their posts....If Jon, Starman1, BillP, GeneT, (and that Al guy who names his eyepieces after his TV)...tell me something on these forums, you can pretty much take it to the bank. AND, when they don't agree on something, there's been some really good "Popcorn" fights here......

+3, I think...

There are some more people I would add to your list of gurus, though.

I started in '69 and never stopped, but was a loner 99% of the time. I never heard of CN until I joined less than two years ago (but I did drive to Norman, Ok. to visit Astronomics and pick up a purchase when it was a hole in the wall office suite the year Halley's Comet returned). Heck, I don't even facebook.

CN has been a terrific resource for me. Finding a group of like minded folks, a lot of whom know way more than me about my passion, has been tremendously helpful.

A new dimension added to my lifetime of amateur astronomy.

#35 Tophat3

Tophat3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus,Ohio

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

I agree

#36 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I agree that the quality of the advice and the knowledge of the source matter most. I know of a few people with high post counts whose advice I'd take with a grain of salt. Also, I know of some folks with modest post counts whose advice you could take to the bank.

However, I'm a little more reluctant to say that post count means "nothing". A lot of the real heroes on this site also happened to have high post counts. There are about a dozen or so folks on here in particular who I would consider to be unquestionably experts of amateur astronomy. All of them have high post counts.

#37 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

After browsing the boards for a while you get a sense of who is very knowledgeable and you greatly appreciate when these individuals answer your questions. I cannot say how much I have appreciated the help from those like Jon, Norme, Edgie, Glen and the many more who have given their time and patience to educate me. But some Newbie’s with high post counts are also appreciated since they are experimenting like me and have a different angle on a particular issue, or simply bring great comical relief to what could be a dry forum :grin:

Eric

#38 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Is a Pooh-Bah really a higher status than a Sage? Being a Sage sounds pretty good but a Pooh? :shrug: :grin:

:lol: I do wonder about who picked these titles out :thinking:

#39 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

These are cloud packer names; they do this to make fun of us...... :lol:

#40 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

If there was a post count level upon which I could be bestowed the title: "Nebulously Virile Cloud Warrior of the Virgo Cluster" ..then I would be posting with abandon right now to get to it!! :jedi:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics