ETX 125 right OTA support

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'd like to remove the right ota support from the right fork to clean the clutch. I removed the OTA and from what I've read the support should just slide out, but no luck. Any suggestions? Mine is one of the last versions made with aluminum inside the fork arms.

#2 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

yeah, My suggestion is don't mess with it. it has been said by Clay Sherrod that these have many small parts, and take a working knowledge of them to work on them. you can verify this on Weasners ETX site.

Theo

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

You CAN drive the plastic out of the bearing, but I wouldn't advise it as getting everything lined up when assembling is problematic. You should press the the trunion saddle out with its bearings (there are inner and outer ball bearings). Then you can pull the outer bearing and get access to the clutch.

If you bust anything I should have parts.

#4 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't understand "trunion saddle" which part is that? I am very mechanically and electronically able, but I don't understand what the "trunion saddle" is. Are you meaning where the outer bearing race is attached to the fork?

By the way: I was looking at "ETX TUNEUP" on Mr. Weasner's site. The "scopetronics" article said it should slip out after removal of the ota and associated right fork components (right knob and aluminum disk). Is there a difference with the newer version?

#5 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Viking 1

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Gday ??

The trunnion saddle is just the plastic axle and saddle plate assy. Sometimes this is a light press fit into the bearings
and the big inner bearing is a light press fit into the alloy housing.
It normally just presses out with relatively little force.
I made up a simple bearing puller that could be used to push out the assy in a slow controlled manner.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

A trunnion is a cylindrical protrusion used as a mounting and/or pivoting point. Saddle: something shaped like a saddle (as in tack) that another object is seated on.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics