• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando134

Fernando134

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

I would be grateful if someone could recommend me a green laser to adapt to my CPC800. One that use AA or AAA batteries.

Thanks in advance, Fernando

#2 rdl800

rdl800

Viking 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

there are numerous places to find them. Just make sure you don't make the mistake I made and get one that cannot function in cold weather.

Cold, or even cool temps, will either diminish it's beam, or cause it not to work entirely.

I've bought from z-bolt (they comply with the FDA guidelines on lasers). They have green astronomy lasers and ones that are cold-resistant...

R.

#3 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I also have a z-Bolt, but the one that is powered by a lithium battery (CR123).

Made a tweak that allows me to power it by any 5-6V power source (Attention: handheld lasers do not handle overvoltage well; they operate at 3.0V). But even then I found that perfect operation only is guaranteed when the laser is kept warm by a small heating-element.

#4 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Scopestuff has a bracket that takes a normal amazon $8 laser pointer.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_sfind.htm

I put mine on the telrad base so I can take it off and swap it with my other scope.

I have killed one nicer green laser because of the cold. I use a blue laser pointer and the cold doesn't seem to harm that at all, but some people apparently can't see blue lasers the way they see green lasers.

Jim

#5 Fernando134

Fernando134

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Scopestuff has a bracket that takes a normal amazon $8 laser pointer.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_sfind.htm

I put mine on the telrad base so I can take it off and swap it with my other scope.

I have killed one nicer green laser because of the cold. I use a blue laser pointer and the cold doesn't seem to harm that at all, but some people apparently can't see blue lasers the way they see green lasers.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I sent an e-mail today (I am in Brasil) to the guys at scopestuff.com asking if the bracket will fit my CPC800. I am waiting for their answer. I am kind of new with this big telescope and more serious stargazing and I have another, maybe a very basic question. The laser pointers that I am familiar with and used in the past for teaching and presentations do not have a on/off switch. I am puzzled on how one may align the telescope with one hand only. How do you deal with that while aligning? :confused:

Thanks in advance, Fernando

#6 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

The Z-bolt astronomical laser has a continuous on/off switch, so you can use both hands for aligning. I'm sure other brands offer this indispensable feature too.

#7 Motokid600

Motokid600

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, New Jersey

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

As far as visibity goes.. I live in a suburban neighborhood. So will I have a green laser rising out of my backyard? Lol because the last thing people will think is that its for astronomy.

#8 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Nah. The 5mW versions are not powerful enough to be seen from your neighbor's garden. You really have to be within a few feet and look at the direction where it is pointing at in order to see the beam.
Of course, when you point it at a tree or a building, everyone will notice, but that is NOT the purpose of the laser mounted on a scope.

#9 rdl800

rdl800

Viking 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Z-bolt, I noticed a few months back, now have a "cold-resistant astronomy laser". If it works as advertised -- and I don't see why it wouldn't -- then that would make all the difference in the world.

I've tried heaters on my laser (two at times) and it just isn't an effective enough method to achieve the performance I expect out of it..

R.

#10 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I use some kind of "heating foil" that I connect to my dew controller. It performs perfectly.
I know, the site is in Dutch, but the picture should be clear enough.
They use similar types of foil for keeping bathroom mirrors and rear view car mirrors damp- or frost-free.
It is auto-adhesive. I wrapped some insulation foam around it for maximum effectiveness.

#11 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Fernando134,
I use this scopestuff laser mostly on my dobsonian, where I can hold the laser button on with one hand and move the scope with the other. I've used it a few times on my CPC1100 during outreach sessions to show kids where the telescope is actually pointing. When I'd align the telescope, I'd slew close to where I thought the alignment star was, push the laser on, see how close I was. If I was way off I'd release the laser button and slew again before turning the laser on to check again. If I'm close, I'd hold the laser on with one hand and use the hand controller with the other to put the laser right the target. But I typically only use it a few seconds at a time.

I think Orion sells a laser pointer bracket that also has the on/off thumbscrew collar.

http://www.telescope...gclid=CP6zpK...

You'd also need the dovetail base for this type of finder.

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics