"Visual" Astrotrac

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

This is my first discussion, so I feel right greet everyone and make apology for my poor knoweledge of English grammar and ortography :bow:.

Done with captatio, now the quaestio..

I own an Astrotrac (with polar wedge and a photgraphic ball head)and I am wondering if, with its Dec unit, it could be enjoyable (only for visual purpose of course) with my C8.
I can not try it myself because I do not own an adapter Vixen-> photo standard, so I ask you if anyone has already tried it (or whit a similar scope)
Thank you for every suggestion

#2 paul

paul

Mariner 2

• Loc: pa

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hello,
I think the C8 is alittle too much weight for the astrotrac
Good luck!!

#3 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

If the Dec unit you mentioned is AstroTrac's TH3010 head, the main issue is the lack of good fine control; slo-motion might help, but with the stock TH3010, it can be difficult pointing to exactly where you want it to with a big scope; the locking knobs on both axis can be awkward to use at times as well.

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Thank for your advices.

@ core Yes, it is.

I think I could obtain greater stiffness using TH3010 instead some small AZ head (like the german-made "Giro") due to its multiple fixing point (vs the 3/8" only), and the "visual astrotrac thing" is in fact a mere palliation (sometimes on holydays I do not have the room for 2 full mounts in my car. Or at least, no room wife-wise...).

If it is not too O.T., may I ask you which is the biggest telescope fully exploitable(APO refractor or Cass-based catadioptric only) could I load on the Astrotrac?

#5 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have my Travel System setup with a modest load (as pictured below), Tak FC-60C with Borg reducer and piggy-back wide field; I'm still working on the setup to get the most out of it - mount, optics, capture and processing - main issue still imo is the polar alignment routine. I do have a C6 and C8 OTA, I might just give it a try one of these days (for video astronomy).

Attached Files

#6 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Nice setup!
The polar scope is indeed the main weakness, rather "crude" and willing to crash down exactly at the worst time.

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Yesterday I have tried my C8 with the Astrotrac (but I have a Berlebach phot-tripod instead of its pillar).
The "mount" can manage the fat SCT but need more counterweights of those avaible to me for a proper AR balance (if the weather improves I will try with some iron disks). I tried it only on some pidgeons (very bad weather here): the damping of vibrations was quite good (at low power of course, i.e. 100x ca) using the maximum spread angle of my tripod, while targeting was indeed difficult (but as i said I could not obtain a proper balance)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics