Photo

Sky News Supscription for Lunar/Planetary?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I looked through the March/April '13 issue of Sky News recently and it seemed like a more-to-the-point magazine for stargazers of the Moon and Planets than do the two major US Mags. I am primarily a Lunar & Planetary and open cluster observer. Sky News seems to be more tuned to the solar system side of the sky with articles about this and that interesting thing too. What also makes this look good is that each issue is TWO months. Is my general assessment of this magazine accurate or am I seeing only what I want to see?

#2 David A Rodger

David A Rodger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Charles, I'd have to say your instincts are correct. SkyNews is, indeed, an excellent publication for your interests in astronomy. And with writers such as Terry Dickinson, Alan Dyer, Ken Hewitt-White and Gary Seronik, it is a genuine showcase of the best in English-language astronomy writing.

You don't have to be Canadian to enjoy and use this magazine. Like Sky & Telescope and Astronomy, it pitches its view of the sky to people living in the latitude 40s.

And that reminds me of a trivia question: Many people in Canada and the USA refer to the 49th parallel of latitude as being the boundary between our two countries (ignoring Alaska's boundary with BC and the Yukon). But that's only true for the four western provinces and the northern states from Washington to Minnesota. Indeed, most Canadians live south of the 49th parallel in the densely populated regions of Ontario and Quebec, as well as the less-populated maritime provinces.

But I digress.

Enjoy SkyNews - - a fine astronomical publication.

DAR

#3 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

SkyNews is a great magazine; the best replacement available for the late lamented Night Sky magazine. Short, simple, and to the point.

#4 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Thank You both. I, and I am sure David also, mean no disrespect toward S&T Mr. Flanders. I like the writing of Dyer and Dickenson as well.

I have always found the population distribution of Canada below 49* interesting. 49* is the border expect for the Great Lakes (I was born and lived in OH at the border of Erie) and the NE (our NE). lol So much for 54*40' or fight, huh!

#5 Scott Regener

Scott Regener

Apollo

• Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

SkyNews is an excellent magazine. I did find the content-to-noise ratio to be better than the American publications for my interests, but because it was bi-monthly, there ends up being more in the American publications. And with the surcharge for US postage, SkyNews is more expensive than the American ones... unless you use Zinio. Unless you absolutely need a paper copy that's the affordable way to go.

#6 David A Rodger

David A Rodger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

One further note regarding the boundary - - which I know is off topic a bit - - is that there's a tiny section of southwestern Ontario that is actually further south than the northern boundary of California. A few years ago, some amateur astronomers from London, Ontario, were able to see Omega Centauri from that little strip of Canadian land that extends south of the 42nd parallel. And last year, another group was able to photograph it. The big globular lay neatly between the light domes of Cleveland and Sandusky Ohio across Lake Erie, apparently. At my latitude of 49.3, of course, I'll never see it. Fortunately I saw it from Chile many years ago.

And thanks for pointing out that I meant no disrespect to Sky & Telescope. Indeed, I've been a subscriber since 1963, and have written several articles for Sky & Telescope, most recently in the December 2012 issue.

DAR

#7 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

And thanks for pointing out that I meant no disrespect to Sky & Telescope.

Of course! I think that we at S&T do what we do very well, but it's certainly not the perfect magazine for everyone. We make a serious effort to cover every aspect of the hobby, including the latest science. SkyNews is much more tightly focused on observing.

We had better not feel offended by SkyNews considering that almost all of their regular writers are also regular S&T writers!

#8 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I got a great price on a 2 year subscription but when it runs out I won't hesistate to renew at the regular price.
The ongoing reviews of dark sky sites(preserves) in Canada is just one aspect of this magazine that I find extremely useful. S&T and Astronomy might be well advised to consider this type of content on a regular basis for U.S. dark sites in the future. But, I enjoy all 3 magazines so maybe it's just as well that the content varies somewhat from one to the other.

Eric

#9 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thanks to this thread bringing Sky News to my attention I have just taken out a two year international subscription. What persuaded me in the end was the list of contributing editors. Looking forward to getting my first copy.

#10 GaryS

GaryS

Ranger 4

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks to this thread bringing Sky News to my attention I have just taken out a two year international subscription. What persuaded me in the end was the list of contributing editors. Looking forward to getting my first copy.

On behalf of myself and my fellow SkyNews contributors, I say thanks!

Hope you enjoy the magazine.

Gary

#11 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thank you Gary, Observing mainly with binoculars these days your column in S&T is my first port of call when the magazine arrives. I am looking forward to your lunar column in SkyNews.

#12 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Used to subscribe a while back.

Just saw they've got digital for $26 now. So signed up again...

#13 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hello all, OP here. I noticed in the copy I saw (March/April '13) that a two-year supscription is $42 or so. Is that $42 Canadian or $42 US?

#14 Scott Regener

Scott Regener

Apollo

• Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

According to their website a 2-year subscription to the US is $62 American. It isn't the value difference of Canadian and American dollars that does you in, it's the $10/year postage surcharge for international shipping. Last I checked, it was cheaper to buy it at the newsstand every month than to have it shipped to your US home address. The digital version is the real value for US customers.

#15 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Yes. I noticed that the cover price is $4.95. Newstand is better. Don't want digital; can't take IT anywhere. Thank You.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics