• Loc: Portland, OR, USA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

I just got off the phone with Celestron support/repair to set up an
appointment to have my scope serviced. Since I am driving to SoCal late
this month, I thought, why not take my CPC 1100 with me for the week I'm
down there and have Celestron "tune it up" for the upcoming comet rich
spring and summer season. Well not so fast GI, they don't take advance
appointments, OK. And because your scope is out of warranty it will
take a little longer than if it were in warranty. Hmmm.

They promised to have it "diagnosed", including the amount it will cost
to do the work, in no longer than 30 working days from receipt of the
scope (that's 42 days to you and me). Then it will take another 30
working days to actually perform the predetermined work (yup, another 42
days). 84 total days to do what I estimate (for a thorough cleaning and
collimation) at 6-9 hours of total work.

I spoke with technical support technicians, customer support
representatives, I even got to speak with the repair department
supervisor and I will say that everyone was extremely nice. They even
offered to pay for shipping one way which, for an out-of-warranty scope,
is a good deal.

This story's moral: Make sure your out-of-warranty scope is really
broken before you call Celestron hoping for a fast turn around.

Clear skies,
JT

p.s. If your scope is IN warranty, the diagnosing portion is guaranteed
to take only 15 working days. Woohooo! jt

#2 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

JT - Where are you located? Reason I ask, I recently completely went through my CPC1100 and its not difficult at all...

If you are out of warranty, or don't mind doing your own work - I seriously recommend diving in yourself if you are even a little bit of a DIY'er.

If you are near me - I'm happy to walk you through it...

I'll actually offer the same to anyone local that wants to go through their scope - I'm happy to go through it with you.. I'm confident I can do pretty much any electrical or drive related repairs... For optical, I have removed and recentered the corrector and secondary, nothing with the primary... I've also done the focuser swap for the feather touch in the past.

I only say this as I know how frustrating it is when your scope is not working and I'd love to help others out that are local... It goes without saying - I'm not charging anything, just want to help...

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

What's wrong with your telescope? Why would it need a tuneup?

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Bought my scope in 2003, no tune up yet (I may rue the day I posted this) and none needed.

Unlike a motorcycle or car these typically do not see the wear and tear from constant use, bad roads, winter, summer, road salt, sand, sun abuse, driver abuse or parking lot rash.

Normally we look them over once something does not work like we expect; e.g. grit on the az bearing track, hand controller contact issues or dirty glass/mirror.

Now some models benefit from super charging or a tune-up but the Nexstar line has proven so far, a complete lack of need for such work. A major reason why I still have my scope. :whee:

#5 edl

edl

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I just had my in-warranty EdgeHD 9.25 returned from Celestron (too much mirror shift). I have to say the service was excellent. Shipping was pre-paid both ways, customer service kept me up to date, and the scope arrived in great condition. It looks brand new... even the dovetail was replaced!
All in all, it took less than 30 days from the time the OTA left UPS to its arrival back. Not too shabby, considering I'm in Canada and these sorts of returns can take a while.
So, can't comment on an out of warranty scope, but I am a very satisfied customer with how Celestron handled my issue.
Now if the clouds would go away...

Best,
Ed L.

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I had to send mine in for clutch work, was given the same long timeline, but it was returned within 30 days am sure. I think they give the long timeline to just cover their bases if something comes up.

#7 snowboycosmos

snowboycosmos

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

as the girl i shouldve married
started selling more and more of her paintings
quantity overtook quality, and they became
sloppy garishly bland untidy money minded works.

#8 JayTee

JayTee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR, USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hi Chris,

Here's some back story as to why I think I may need a tune up.

I bought my CPC 1100 used from a distressed divorcee (no kidding) about 1 year ago. The scope had been setup outside under a tarp for nearly 2 years. Even though it was in southern California is still gets moist there at times during the year. The scope was sold under the premise that it was damaged. I could tell by the pictures it wasn't all that damaged. The inside of the tube had corrosion pits (it looked like aluminum oxide blooms) showing through the flat black paint. Long story short, I bought the scope, read all about removing the corrector plate and how to clean everything. Did, done; scope works fine. Fast forward 9 months: one evening while removing the corrector plate cover to start my nights viewing, I brushed my hand by the secondary mirror holder and it moved (rotated). So I checked it by giving the secondary mirror holder a 1/4 turn to the right and didn't notice any resistance so I went back to the original position. Then rotated it 1/4 turn to the left and noticed no resistance. I returned it to its original position, then I panicked!

I got on the yahoo CPC forum and was told (by someone who had experienced the same problem) to start rotating right quickly reverse to the left and it "may" catch and tighten up. Viola, it actually worked. But I had to do this 4 times to get the "Celestron" logo on the secondary mirror holder oriented parallel to the ground. Finally got it secure and oriented correctly.

So -- based on the corrosion, general main mirror dirtiness (which I didn't touch) and the loose secondary mirror holder, I felt a factory tune up may be in order.

BTW I live in Portland, OR and am driving down to SoCal in 2 weeks but won't be taking my scope because they don't take reservations.

How's the image you ask? It's better than my 8" Newt, but this is my first SCT having always been a Newt guy since 1972. I was just hoping the factory would set all those issue to right, so I would have a reference point to use for a reference for future performance.

Clear skies,
JT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics