Photo

Mount with easiest polar alignment routine?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

I have a Tak EM200 and the initial polar alignment is so good that I cannot tell when my Mallincam updates, there is literally no movement whatsoever between 56 second iterations. That's just phenomenal.

#27 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

I think a bad back and a *BLEEP* finder contribute to my lack of success with the QDA method. I can upgrade the finder. But between an option that I can sit in my seat performing and one that requires me to twist and turn over the scope, I'd prefer the former.

#28 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

helgeras:

That's a great tip for alignmaster! I'll be sure to sync this with the Gemini bright star list and make an update for my setup.

When I use alignmaster with my Losmandy G11 with Gemini 2, I can get within 2 arc minutes on the first pass and under 1 arc minute on the second pass. The rest is gravy as the threads on the adjustment screws are too coarse to get better on a temporary setup.

#29 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

i signed up for a trial of alignmaster but still haven't gotten my key...

it's nice that the star list can be edited, because my list of candidate stars from my balcony is alarmingly small.

#30 Per Frejvall

Per Frejvall

Messenger

• Loc: Saltsj√ɬ∂baden, Sweden

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

10Micron GM1000HPS would be my recommendation. The polar alignment is dirt simple and you do not need (nor is there) a polar scope.

It is, at least in my world, very portable and delivers unguided performance that is excellent.

I have an unboxing review on SGL (http://stargazerslou...00hps-unboxing/)

/per

#31 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

7500 USD without MwST, plus shipping (10 Micron). 35kg capacity (about 75lb). So almost the same as the PMX with the disadvantage of non-US support. Of course if you're in Europe where a Mach1 costs $10K (!!!!!) definitely I'd go for a 10Micron.

but the OP is in the US, so..

#32 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'm looking for a high end mount in the future around 5k used or new. Portability will be a major concern, as I will be setting up and tearing down every time I use the mount. I will mainly use the mount for AP, thus accurate polar alignment is paramount for me. Which mount in this class offers the easiest and most accurate alignment procedure? I really want to avoid drift align as much as possible. I understand the Taks have awesome polar alignment scopes, but the Mach1GTO appeals to me greatly since it can handle a bit more capacity than the EM-200 and handles cold better...however, my understanding is that the polar alignment routine with Mach1GTO stinks in comparison.

I have a Mach 1 and I'm using Alignmaster as well. This seems to work very well. I usually do two iterations and there very is little left to correct, for guided imaging anyway. Like others have mentioned, the given selection of stars may not visible from a location, many are blocked by the large trees in my yard...nice it can be edited.
The important thing here is the OP isn't going to find a Mach 1 complete with tripod and accessories for 5k used.

Faron

#33 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

So much about Alignmaster!!! I still don't have my trial. Maybe because I signed up for a trial in 2011 and never used it?

I was tempted to just pay for it sight unseen, but I have no idea if I'll instantly get a key when I do that. I think the author manually generates the keys or something...

That said, you can get a Mach1 used with tripod and accessories for close to 5k (maybe 6k total) so long as it's not one of the pricey AP tripods (AWT00 or Eagle).

#34 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

any gem on a tripod is equally easy with this simple jig. mine works like a charm and is made from 1x2 poplar.

http://www.iceinspac...99-0-0-1-0.html

#35 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I thought I'd chime back in here. I did my first successful revised quick drift align and finished in about 10m. I think I like this method. If I get the same results next time, i have a new pa routine.

#36 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have not used the new right angle polar scope and I will not for two reasons: 1) The mount needs to be perfectly level in order to polar align.

This is not correct. N-S leveling has no effect on the polar scope, and E-W leveling would have to be "really really off to make much of a difference" per Roland in a recent thread on the subject on ap-gto.

Ok Paul you convinced me! RAPAS on order! I actually spoke with two people who use it and they both gave stellar reviews.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics