CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount with easiest polar alignment routine?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

I have a Tak EM200 and the initial polar alignment is so good that I cannot tell when my Mallincam updates, there is literally no movement whatsoever between 56 second iterations. That's just phenomenal.

#27 Footbag

Footbag

Cosmos

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

I think a bad back and a *BLEEP* finder contribute to my lack of success with the QDA method. I can upgrade the finder. But between an option that I can sit in my seat performing and one that requires me to twist and turn over the scope, I'd prefer the former.

#28 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

helgeras:

That's a great tip for alignmaster! I'll be sure to sync this with the Gemini bright star list and make an update for my setup.

When I use alignmaster with my Losmandy G11 with Gemini 2, I can get within 2 arc minutes on the first pass and under 1 arc minute on the second pass. The rest is gravy as the threads on the adjustment screws are too coarse to get better on a temporary setup.

#29 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

i signed up for a trial of alignmaster but still haven't gotten my key...

it's nice that the star list can be edited, because my list of candidate stars from my balcony is alarmingly small.

#30 Per Frejvall

Per Frejvall

Viking 1

• Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

10Micron GM1000HPS would be my recommendation. The polar alignment is dirt simple and you do not need (nor is there) a polar scope.

It is, at least in my world, very portable and delivers unguided performance that is excellent.

I have an unboxing review on SGL (http://stargazerslou...00hps-unboxing/)

/per

#31 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

7500 USD without MwST, plus shipping (10 Micron). 35kg capacity (about 75lb). So almost the same as the PMX with the disadvantage of non-US support. Of course if you're in Europe where a Mach1 costs $10K (!!!!!) definitely I'd go for a 10Micron.

but the OP is in the US, so..

#32 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'm looking for a high end mount in the future around 5k used or new. Portability will be a major concern, as I will be setting up and tearing down every time I use the mount. I will mainly use the mount for AP, thus accurate polar alignment is paramount for me. Which mount in this class offers the easiest and most accurate alignment procedure? I really want to avoid drift align as much as possible. I understand the Taks have awesome polar alignment scopes, but the Mach1GTO appeals to me greatly since it can handle a bit more capacity than the EM-200 and handles cold better...however, my understanding is that the polar alignment routine with Mach1GTO stinks in comparison.

I have a Mach 1 and I'm using Alignmaster as well. This seems to work very well. I usually do two iterations and there very is little left to correct, for guided imaging anyway. Like others have mentioned, the given selection of stars may not visible from a location, many are blocked by the large trees in my yard...nice it can be edited.
The important thing here is the OP isn't going to find a Mach 1 complete with tripod and accessories for 5k used.

Faron

#33 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

So much about Alignmaster!!! I still don't have my trial. Maybe because I signed up for a trial in 2011 and never used it?

I was tempted to just pay for it sight unseen, but I have no idea if I'll instantly get a key when I do that. I think the author manually generates the keys or something...

That said, you can get a Mach1 used with tripod and accessories for close to 5k (maybe 6k total) so long as it's not one of the pricey AP tripods (AWT00 or Eagle).

#34 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

any gem on a tripod is equally easy with this simple jig. mine works like a charm and is made from 1x2 poplar.

http://www.iceinspac...99-0-0-1-0.html

#35 Footbag

Footbag

Cosmos

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I thought I'd chime back in here. I did my first successful revised quick drift align and finished in about 10m. I think I like this method. If I get the same results next time, i have a new pa routine.

#36 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have not used the new right angle polar scope and I will not for two reasons: 1) The mount needs to be perfectly level in order to polar align.

This is not correct. N-S leveling has no effect on the polar scope, and E-W leveling would have to be "really really off to make much of a difference" per Roland in a recent thread on the subject on ap-gto.

Ok Paul you convinced me! RAPAS on order! I actually spoke with two people who use it and they both gave stellar reviews.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics