cosurgi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gdańsk, Poland, EU

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

a few months ago my Baader Planetarium Mark V Binoviewer fell down on concrete:

http://www.cloudynig...rd=binoviewe...

we mourned well, and criticized a lot the quick-changer, which is very weak and dangerous to expensive equipment.

However now I am certain that it has lost its collimation. And hearing that Baader is very slow in handling warranty issues (even though I live in Europe, Poland, so no too far away) - some people on this forum mentioned 6-month wait for warranty return. I am wondering if I could be able to disassemble it and collimate without sending on warranty. In fact I don't know if I still have a warranty! I think that I bought this binoviewer about 2 years ago.

In fact my friend who owns a shop teleskopy.pl (and who actually sold me this binoviewer) offered me that he will collimate it himself. But he said that it is only possible if this binoviewer can be opened so that the collimation screws are accessible.

So question is: are the collimation screws of baader planetarium mark V accessible?

I don't think that it is nitrogen filled... so I wouldn't risk too much if I try to disassemble it, right?

Or maybe I could learn along the way and collimate it myself? Any hints how to do that? I never collimated anything to be honest.

what do you think?

best regards
Janek

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't know about the Mark V, but on Astro-foren.de, there is an article that Pipe wrote about collimating a Baader Maxbrights (or some similar type).

I got the impression (bad translation) that it was not a fun job.

But he provided a description on how he approached it.

You might want to try to find that article.

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Could it have been another forum, Ed? I did find this interesting article on astro-foren.de :
http://www.astro-for...n-in-Ruhe-la...

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

That is the article I was speaking of.

#5 cosurgi

cosurgi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, I gave up on trying to do it myself. I've sent my Mark V to Baader, so that they can collimate it for me.

#6 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Thanks, I gave up on trying to do it myself. I've sent my Mark V to Baader, so that they can collimate it for me.

+1 :waytogo:

#7 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Best decision of the day. Yes, let the pro's work on it.

Stephan

#8 cosurgi

cosurgi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hi,

I paid 65 EUR for collimation, and the binoviewer just arrived today! I woder if it is really collimated? I will let you know as soon as I test it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics