Orion XT8g

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

The brown truck paid me a visit just now.

Posted Image

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

How did you get the boxes to stick to wall like that :question: :roflmao:

#3 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

How did you get the boxes to stick to wall like that :question: :roflmao:

Hehe. Fixed.

#4 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

My boxes showed up a year ago.
Life's been great ever since.
Yell if you have questions.

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Well open them already, I want to see whats in there.

#6 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

A couple unboxing pics:

Contents of the smaller box:
Posted Image

A peek inside the OTA box:
Posted Image

#7 bryguy27007

bryguy27007

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Beautiful scope. I had the non go-to version a while back. You'll love it.

Clear skies!

#8 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Base assembly was remarkably easy. Very impressed with the overall quality of the parts and precision of the hole placement, etc. Can't remember the last time I assembled something of this size where all the holes lined up perfectly with no fuss.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

All done! Now what? :cloudy:

Posted Image

#10 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

First question: Initially the focuser was *really* raspy feeling and sounding. I actually thought it might be broken somehow. But I seem to recall someone mentioning that their new focuser needed to be "broken in", so I racked it in and out several times and it got a whole lot better. But it is still not what I'd call buttery smooth in some positions. Maybe it will keep settling in after much more use? Does that sound like it's within normal tolerances for these Orion 2-speed Crayfords?

#11 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

But it is still not what I'd call buttery smooth in some positions. Maybe it will keep settling in after much more use? Does that sound like it's within normal tolerances for these Orion 2-speed Crayfords?

It definitely should not be raspy; metal-on-metal is not good. I would disassemble and inspect it. Mine was not raspy, but rather it would not hold a heavy ep. When I tightened it, it did not tighten evenly - it was either too tight or too loose with the slightest adjustment. I disassembled it (down to the last o-ring) and put it back together making sure the L & R adjusting screws were screwed-in the same amount. It is now buttery smooth (I use my little finger) and easily supports my heavy ep.
Focuser adjustment
To Tighten:
1) Slightly and equally loosen the left and right adjusting screws by turning CCW.
2) Slightly tighten the center set-screw by turning CW.
3) Equally tighten the L & R adjusting screws by turning CW.
To Loosen:
1) Slightly loosen the center set-screw by turning CCW.
2) Equally tighten the L & R adjusting screws by turning CW.

#12 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I've always wondered how easy are the XTg dobs to move around manually, to pan the sky? I like the option of being able to use the electronics or not. With something like this, most of the time, I would prefer to star hop and then just turn on the tracking when I reach my target. Of course, the Go To has its uses as well, but the tracking aspect is more valuable to me, personally.

#13 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Dan. I didn't even realize the adjustment screws were there...that's probably all that's required. I need to finish RTFM later. :grin:

#14 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the focuser. The fine adjustment doesn't do anything, and if you (carefully) engage the focus lock, disengaging it takes the focuser back to the raspy metal-on-metal sound/feel until tweaking the adjustment screws. I got the fine adjuster to work brieflly, for about three turns of the small wheel, but then it disengaged and stopped working. Unless someone gives me a :foreheadslap:, I'm going to have to call Orion about this.

#15 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Post deleted by dan777

#16 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm going to have to call Orion about this.

I agree that's the smart thing to do.

#17 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I've always wondered how easy are the XTg dobs to move around manually, to pan the sky?

The XT8g is not as easy to move in az or alt as the XT8i because you have to overpower the friction of the clutch(s). So for panning, moving it manually just isn't practical. For panning I use the slew buttons on the hand controller (you can select a slew speed). I can keep my eye in the ep and fingers on the slew button(s). I don't have to look at the hand controller at all while I'm panning. I had an XT8i for many years (in the metro Detroit area) - great scope. But the XT8g tracking is a great feature.

Thanks Dan! I added the XT8i after I got the 8SE; I didn't want to be 'tied down' to a power source. I watched the videos on the Orion website for the XTg scopes and specifically the one for the XT10g shows Ken panning the scope around very easily. So your report conflicts with what I think I saw.

#18 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I agree with Dan. You can push the scope to a new area of the sky quickly and it will still go-to and track but not the scope to use to manually track objects with (jerky and hard).

#19 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Starman,
Well, I changed my mind. I had issues with my first XT8g and it had to be replaced. It's movement was very stiff. I never realized how easy the movement is in my replacement scope. After I watched your video link I tried my scope in manual mode and low & behold it surprisingly moves quite easily. Personally, I would rather use the slew control, but in answer to your question, yes you can use it manually if you wish. (I am going to delete my post.)

#20 thetortoise

thetortoise

Vostok 1

• Loc: Longmont, CO

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

I use my XT10g manually more often than I use it powered on for the tracking or goto. Mine tracks smooth manually. It is possible to adjust the tension of both the azimuth and altitude. If the movement is overly stiff, perhaps loosening the tension will smooth it out (requires taking off the plastic covers and using a hex tool - Orion can email you the instructions). With a bit of trial and error you can get it exactly how you prefer.

#21 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Weeeeellllllll, I called Orion two days ago and told them my problem with the focuser. Also the 28mm DeepView EP has a big tear in the eye cup (this scope was purchased as a 2nd). They transferred me to a tech support engineer who expressed his displeasure at some of the things he'd been seeing them ship out as 2nds - i.e. things with not only cosmetic issues but serious functional/condition issues like what I'm experiencing. The engineer asked me to write it all in an email so he could take it to someone else as an example of how not to ship product to customers.

So I did the email, and got nothing but silence. After 24 hours went by, I emailed again. Still nothing. After 12 more hours went by, I phoned and was put off yet again. I have to say at this point I'm more than annoyed with Orion.

So I decided I had nothing to lose, so I disassembled the focuser to see if I could figure out what's going on with help from the forum, and elsewhere online.

It turns out there were *two* problems. First, the friction track on the draw tube was not flat, but concave. So the crayford shaft was riding on just the two outside edges of the track and this was producing the grinding noises. This has been reported on the forum before. Also, the tension adjuster was not working right because one of the two parallelizing screws had been cross-threaded at the factory, so the teflon bearing was COMPLETELY out of whack. So I removed the tube and lapped the friction track with a whetstone until it was truly flat. I also fixed the threads on the teflon bearing by running a screw all the way through it from the backside a few times. When I put it all back together it works much better now. However, I note that my focuser did not have the rubber o-rings depicted in the document I linked to above. Is it supposed to? I also somehow managed to lose one of the locking screws while I was working on it. :mad: Don't ask me how, I was in one place the whole time...

#22 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

I also tightened the set screw on the course adjust knob to keep the crayford shaft true to the bracket itself. Also had to tighten the set screw on the fine adjust knob to keep it from slipping. Now the draw tube holds several pounds of weight without sliding down, and both focus adjustments operate buttery smooth. Night and day to the way it shipped from Orion. There is really no excuse for that. Now that it's properly setup, it's a really nice focuser. Out of the box it was garbage.

#23 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

I've never had your specific problem, but my previous experiences with Orion's customer service make me expect them to offer to send you a new focuser.

Add a fan, upgrade the finder, and you'll have a great scope!

#24 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

I told Orion I'd fixed the focuser (which works like an absolute dream now) but lost a screw in the process. They sent me a replacement screw, a new eyecup, a fresh manual, and their thanks for fixing the focuser. They also sent me the PC cable - this particular "2nds" scope didn't come with it.

Now I have an intermittent issue with the handset, which occasionally reboots itself, sometimes screwing up the LCD contrast setting in the process. And the RDF will not align with the scope even with the adjustments maxed out. So I'll have to log a call with them for these issues. Overall I'm not too pleased with the "2nds" process at Orion. I saved 20% but inherited more than that in headaches, many of which could and should have been detected and fixed before they shipped. I'm confident I'll get it all worked out, but it's taking a lot of time and troubleshooting...

Still, this is a great scope and I'm happy with my choice. But if I had it to do over, I'd have bought a fresh one at full price. I incorrectly assumed that Orion would have gone over and "refurbished" this one before sending it out. That appears not to be the case, or at least whatever process they do put it through doesn't cover enough detail.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics